Menu

3D-printed husband...

RegGuheert

A woman in France printed the parts for a robot on her 3D printer a year ago and now wants to marry "him." I have to image significantly more effort went into the design and manufacture of the mechanisms and software involved.

As a 1D-printed husband I will reserve further comment until others have had their say.

Edited by RegGuheert
  • Like 3

A woman in France printed the parts for a robot on her 3D printer a year ago and now wants to marry "him." I have to image significantly more effort went into the design and manufacture of the mechanisms and software involved.

As a 1D-printed husband I will reserve further comment until others have had their say.

Well, people have all kinds of sexual fetishes, robots are no more or less weird than balloons, I guess. Being able to build a robot = very cool skill in my book. If I built one it wouldn't be for company but for cleaning. Like Rosie the Robot from the Jetson's. That would be awesome!

• Like 6

From the article:

"Humans will marry robots in the next 35 years, according to a sex robot expert.

Not only this, but sex with robots will become more enjoyable than with other humans, because of the advancement of artificial intelligence, he said."

First of all, where do you go to school to get your robot sex expert (rse) certification?

Second, you're doing it wrong.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-38389862

BBC used the same expert when they ran an article a while back which deals with some of the issues.

You know what though. My dd has real live pets and she has those "little live pets". The toy ones do everything she wants in a pet. Yet the real live ones that don't always get her attention every day. The others sit in a cupboard most of the time. I think some large part of human relationships is about reciprocity and being needed. Having a relationship with something that could do everything you want it to but requires nothing back would be hugely unfulfilling for most people. Not everyone but most.

• Like 3

I did not know we could 3-d print robots yet. I, too, would like one for housework.

On another note, is it legal to marry other non-living things, like stuffed animals or tables?

The legal benefits of marriage can't be conferred to an object or non-human creature. It doesn't need to be legal or illegal because it doesn't have legal purpose regardless. Your table can't be on the deed to your home or make medical decisions as your next of kin. You can't add a robot to your health insurance, nor can a robot collect social security or pension benefits.

The question of legality doesn't really factor in in such rare and overhyped situations.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 1

From the article:

"Humans will marry robots in the next 35 years, according to a sex robot expert.

Not only this, but sex with robots will become more enjoyable than with other humans, because of the advancement of artificial intelligence, he said."

First of all, where do you go to school to get your robot sex expert (rse) certification?

Second, you're doing it wrong.

Apparently, the author never saw the episode of Big Bang Theory where Howard tried to use a NASA robot arm for, um, personal pleasure and ended up in the ER because it got stuck....  :-)

• Like 3