Menu

How do you use College Confidential?

daijobu

I like the college match search engine.

I will also read individual threads if they show up in search results. I don't read their forums on in a regular basis. A lot of the posters seem to be students who may or may not know what they are talking about.

When I looked at the forum for my alma mater, there were grads making pronouncements that were not factually based. YMMV. If official school reps comment that could be useful.

• Like 1

I ignore many of the comments (obviously) made by students and use my intellect to figure out who actually knows what they are talking about.  There are plenty of folks with a deep bit of knowledge on there - just sift - and ignore how many students claim to be super high stats.  They may, or may not, be, but that gives them no better "college" knowledge than a teenager TBH.

Like anything else, if I find something useful, I look for it to be repeated elsewhere too (like how good a school is in a certain field).  It gave me a starting point in my research - plenty of schools to look at and some good financial info.

• Like 3

Yep, the Parents of 20XX forum was very helpful during the application year (and the one preceding too.) Tends to be a knowledgeable group there, looking at a fairly diverse mix of schools.

The financial aid forum is useful too, and during the application year, I liked browsing the forums for various individual schools.

• Like 1

Ya'll know I'm scare to death of that place  :lol:  :crying:

I typically use College Confidential when I notice I'm starting to feel a little too confident about the decisions we've made about schooling or when I'm starting to feel a tad too hopeful about my daughter's academic future. One brief browse of College Confidential will toss me back into angst and despair like nothing else....

;)

• Like 10

I typically use College Confidential when I notice I'm starting to feel a little too confident about the decisions we've made about schooling or when I'm starting to feel a tad too hopeful about my daughter's academic future. One brief browse of College Confidential will toss me back into angst and despair like nothing else....

;)

Yes, it is a good reality check isn't it?  I occasionally stumble across them and begin to read and completely panic.  It is bad.  IT isn't good for my mojo.  :lol:

• Like 2

The forums for specific majors and schools were helpful, even if they didn't seem all that active. I posted a couple of questions on these forums and received a few helpful public replies, but then also received several private messages from other moms and they pretty much walked us through the whole last month of making a decision. I was so thankful for their insight and learned so much that we would have never thought to ask on visits.

But, yes, there's a bunch of garbage on there too. I just love all the "chance me" posts from people with perfect scores and pages of activities.  :tongue_smilie:

• Like 3