Menu

Would you travel alone....or just you and the kids?

Ottakee

Oh my goodness, yes. 

It's been great fun traveling the country with my kids. They make great co-pilots and their sometimes obnoxious tween/teen behavior doesn't grate on my nerves like it does DH- so it's actually more peaceful for us if he is not with us.  (Sad, but true.)

DH's work schedule does not allow him to be available most of the time we need to travel.  (Or want to travel, really, because he works seasonally, so summer he does not get time off.)  We actually have a road trip coming up at the beginning of February, and I'm kind of, sort of dreading it because DH will be going with us... that's going to be a long time in the car with the guy who gets tired of the antics and silliness from the backseat.   But hopefully he'll be in a good mood since we're traveling to visit HIS family, lol!

I've been traveling alone with the kids since DS was seven months old.  If I waited for DH... well, we'd never have gone anywhere.  As it is, I think I'm showing my kids that they do not need to rely on another person to enjoy life.  It's nice to enjoy life as a family, but when it doesn't work out that way, you just roll with it and do what you have to do.  We've made some spectacular memories together, and I feel like their appetites for adventure have been whetted by the journeys we have taken just the three of us. 

• Like 2

I used to all the time.  When the kids were younger we drove from NC to Indiana several times in a snowstorm even.  I've driven from IN to FL for Vacation with my little sisters.  And I had no trouble running around in any large city alone or with kids.  But, I've recently developed high blood pressure that causes intense anxiety type feelings when on the highway or in unfamiliar places so now I can barely even be a passenger.  If I take enough meds to alleviate the anxiety I most definitely should not be driving (knocks me out).  

Yes I do.  Not frequently and generally not a long trip because there just hasn't been a need.  A long trip is usually over one of DH's vacation's and such a trip is planned as such.  However, I would not hesitate for the exception of finances or if it was somewhere DH really wants to go.  My sister just moved to Texas and I'm thinking about taking the kids and myself sometime this winter or next fall.  We would drive and see some things on the way.  I do know a few of my friends would not do this, but traveling makes them very anxious not so much that their DH wouldn't approve.

I travel very frequently with dd or with both dd and younger ds. We've been all over the US, Canada, Ireland (multiple times), and most recently England and Scotland. I love to travel and dh not so much. He prefers to be home. All of our travel involves music in some form or another (gigs, camps, competitions) but I usually tack on extra days for seeing the sights. We meet and stay with people or in B&B's, drive, visit local landmarks, etc...

Sure! I love it when dh can come, but his work schedule is often unpredictable, so I just go ahead and plan trips and if he can come, great! If not, I don't hesitate to go with just me and the kids though. A few months ago I traveled with the four kids (11, 8, 5, and newborn). The drive was 7.5 hours and we did it in one day. Stayed for five days there until dh came to meet us for the last two days. No biggie. It's harder when we have the dogs with us, but I've done that as well. Rest stops are tricky, as I don't want to leave the dogs for too long in the car and everyone has to pee right away lol.

Yup. I do and I have. DH does not like travel that much and I'm not going to be prevented from doing certain trips because he doesn't want to. For true confessions, I have liked my trips where it was just myself and one kid best of all the trips I have taken with only one exception. It is extremely stress-free to go on a trip where I am the only adult I need to consult with; I find it at least mildly stressful to have other adults who also have opinions about which restaurant to visit, whether the weather is good enough for the zoo, if this is too much walking, what time to leave for an activity and a billion other decisions.

• Like 2

The question has me scratching my head.  Is this a "Can it be possible that a woman is capable of traveling by her self or just with her children?" kind of question?  Or is it a "How can you leave your man at home and go off gadding about without him?"  kind of question.  Both strike me as incredibly sexist. 

I did travel by myself often before phones and GPS were available.  But now that they are available (and you can pick up a paper map at any rest area for the times you don't have data), I feel even more confident.

I don't like to drive long distances (like more than 5 hours) because I get sleepy and fear that I can't stay alert.  If it involves an airport or public place, I preferred to have dh with me after the 3rd child was born because I just didn't feel like I could keep track of all of them since one kid's special needs were exhausting (and I wasn't blessed with great sleepers.)  But, now that they are older, no worries.   Dd and I travel often together for her out-of-town competitions.  Some involve long drives (and I am thankful she can share the drive now.)  Some involve air travel.

I do all the time! I love going on adventures and usually dh has to work. That doesn't stop me and the girls though. The ability to take trips with my kids is one of my biggest reasons to homeschool. I've done 3-day one-way car trips with them and we often take 2-day car trips. I've camped and stayed in hotels alone with my kids, and flown across the country. Doesn't phase me at all. In fact, I was just planning our next adventures earlier tonight. I kind of live for it though, and have learned to travel very cheaply. Locally, however, I don't know anyone else who does that kind of thing much, so I feel like I'm the exception.

DH loves being with us, but he doesn't have the time. He works long hours. We're able to do lots of fun day trips with him, but the big trips are usually me on my own. He wishes he could come but doesn't begrudge us going either. He doesn't feel left out of camping, though. He hates camping. So when he comes, we just rent a cabin or stay in a hotel, but one of the reasons I camp is because it is so cost effective and I can justify a trip to a National Park for the cost of 2 tanks of gas and a campsite on a whim.

Edited by Meagan S