Menu

Suggestions for increasing cardio impact of hiking/walking?

Laurie4b

I love to hike/walk outdoors. However, my body has gotten super-efficient at it and I don't even change breathing pattern when walking briskly, my heart rate hardly goes up, etc. 

When I go by myself, after warming up, I jog a minute/walk a minute the whole time. That works fine. 

I will breath harder if there is a steep slope (duh) but I love walking by rivers and other bodies of water, so it is usually pretty flat. And the hills that there are around here aren't that steep anyway. 

However, when I want to walk with other people (which I prefer!)  AND get some cardio, I'm at a loss. I have tried a backpack with about 30 pounds in it and it does increase my breathing and heartrate some but it also irritates a place in my shoulder so I've crossed that off the list. 

I've looked into the hiking poles thinking that greater arm movement would help me get my heartrate up, but I read something on REI's site that said the poles made things more efficient. Anyone have any experience with that? 

Also does anyone know how safe it is to hike with leg weights on? I have some I could try. 

ETA: because I wasn't clearer above:  my main need is for daily exercise (about 1 hour) when I am trying to walk with someone less conditioned than I am, so I can't run which I do when alone. 

Any other suggestions? 

Edited by Laurie4b

Hike with a backpack or go on hikes with significant elevation difference.

ETA: Oh, I just see you don't like the pack. Then the only way is to go up a mountain. I think swinging arms while hiking is ridiculous and does not have any significant effect. Hiking in flat terrain is still good cardio if you walk fast, though, and for long distances.

The poles help with stability and balance in rough terrain. On flat ground, they don't do much.

Edited by regentrude

Thanks! I will check out Nordic walking and the weighted vest.

I wasn't clear in my OP, but my main issue is for daily exercise (about 1 hour) when I am trying to walk with someone less conditioned than I am. 

I think you are asking the impossible. A one hour walk on flat terrain together with a person who cannot walk fast won't do much for your cardio, even if you were carrying a 50lb backpack (a weighted vest will be a drop in the bucket). I would chalk up the daily walk as a pleasant social interaction in fresh air and look for another way to get exercise.

My suggestion: run a mile before you walk, and run a mile after.  If you are adverse to running, I think regenetrude is likely right--the only way you will get a workout is if your walking buddy is consistent and she improves her fitness level so that she can walk faster.  This is one reason I don't often walk anymore. I don't get enough cardio benefit from it unless I find someone who can keep my speed walking pace.  My best 'walking' period was in college. I was walking with a friend of near identical fitness level and over the years we walked together we both improved our speed immensely. 

I did try using a weighted vest for a period when I did step work (on and off step) and I didn't notice a huge difference. I think you would need a fairly heavy one (like 30 lbs).  

Edited by cintinative

Thanks! I will check out Nordic walking and the weighted vest.

I wasn't clear in my OP, but my main issue is for daily exercise (about 1 hour) when I am trying to walk with someone less conditioned than I am. 

Couch to 5K.  In the early weeks, it's just a few minutes of running (you could run away from your walking partner and back again) and lots of walking.  You could just stick with week one or two in order to get the social time in, or, as it's never more than half an hour in total I think, carry on through the programme and accept that you will be doing less chatting.

Also does anyone know how safe it is to hike with leg weights on? I have some I could try. 

One time, at a doctor's lecture on exercise, I asked about walking with ankle weights.  He said that it is better to use a fanny pack or backpack with weights or weighted vest than to put all the extra weight on your ankles.  The weight is distributed over a larger area that way.

• Like 1

One time, at a doctor's lecture on exercise, I asked about walking with ankle weights.  He said that it is better to use a fanny pack or backpack with weights or weighted vest than to put all the extra weight on your ankles.  The weight is distributed over a larger area that way.

Thanks. I had a vague memory of something like that. I appreciate you confirming that!