Menu

Book a Week 2016 -BW46: Flufferton Abbey

Robin M

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hugs for the migraine!  I hope he recovered and was able to enjoy the movie!  I started having migraines young so I sympathize.  

And we saw Fantastic Beasts last night.  We all thoroughly enjoyed it!

I enjoyed Cousin Kate!  Definitely creeped me out a bit, though  :laugh: I'm going to reread Venetia over Thanksgiving break.  I need a fluff read and it will fulfill my "V" spot in the A-Z Challenge 

Venetia is probably my 2nd favorite, 2nd only to The Grand Sophy.  All the poetic allusions that I didn't get in my youth, I definitely get now! Venetia is one of the more mature heroines that I prefer, and I find that I too love a rake!  ;)

• Like 9

You're approaching book four, Oracle's Moon, which may surpass book one as my favorite in the series.

By happenstance, I am reading Oracle's Moon right now :)   I didn't really make it through book 3, just skipped to the end.  But when I saw the next book was about the Oracle I decided it was worth going on - and I'm enjoying it so far.

Neville Shute is most known for A Town Like Alice, so that may be where you've heard his name. 

And also well known for his On the Beach --  post-apocalyptic fiction  (definitely not of a flufferton kind!)  I have not read this book -- because I read the ending while my husband was reading it and that was enough for me 

I've read A Town Like Alice and liked it quite a bit, but it's kind of a split personality book IMO. 1/2 sad and depressing POW experience and 1/2 spunky heroine romance.

• Like 9

I finished My Best Friend's Exorcism by Grady Hendrix.

Not quite sure what to say about this book.

Like Horrorstör (the author's previous book that was a take-off on an Ikea catalog), I have to give this one an A+ for attention to details, making this look like a high school yearbook, the fonts being appropriately 80s, even using an upside-down cross as the apostrophe in the title. I also love all the Charleston & 1980s references (both a place & time that I love).

26118005.jpg

In a way, this is a both a scarier & more touching book than Horrorstör, partly because it walks a line where you don't know what's truly happening. Drugs? Mean-girls? Teen hormones? Demonic possession? There are definitely some creepy & gross horror scenes, but there are also things that make you question what the reality of the story is. Ultimately, it is a story about the power of friendship through thick & thin with an ending that made me cry.

An interesting mash-up but I can't fully decide exactly how I feel about it. (And it's definitely NOT Nan-approved. Not that Nan would be picking up a horror book anyway.....)

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 8

It has been ages since I have read Verne.  My initial thought was "not a fan" but then I stopped in my tracks and said, "Hmmm..."  Maybe I'll pick up a Verne at the library in the weeks ahead.  Thanks for the idea.

Does your husband read Verne in French? I fear this would be beyond me.

I'll send Pippin your way.

Many thanks! No, he has no French; he wasted his college years on Greek instead.

Bingo card: I had thought I was going to be able to match all the categories, but now I see there are some I have nothing for (adapted fairy tale; 2016 publication date); is it possible I was looking at some other, older version?

• Like 9

By happenstance, I am reading Oracle's Moon right now :)   I didn't really make it through book 3, just skipped to the end.  But when I saw the next book was about the Oracle I decided it was worth going on - and I'm enjoying it so far.

I hope you'll continue to enjoy it.  Something about the book appeals to me; I've probably read it close to a dozen times.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

Stacia, the layout/framework is intriguing enough that I appreciate the warning. Are this and the Ikea one graphic novels? How does the catalogue and yearbook part work?

No, they are not graphic novels. If you look on amazon, you can get a feel for the Horrorstor book because it has the "look inside" feature. Or, if your library has it, pick it up & leaf through it. I loved that one because the shape/size/heft of the book (which was paperback) was similar to an Ikea catalog. The cover looks similar the first & ending pages have the Ikea look (info about store layout, flat packing, ordering, etc...). Every chapter has a funky name (like the Ikea furniture lines) & so on.

13129925.jpg

My Best Friend's Exorcism has end papers that look like the inside of a high school yearbook where your friends wrote in it & it looks so much like typical teen-style writing in yearbooks from the '80s. Then, the first & ending pages are like yearbook pages from the '80s, including a mention of Aldus Pagemaker as well as the author's senior photo from high school, lol. (The hair!) Every chapter title is the name of a song that was popular in the '80s.

If you see or can get either of these through your library, you might want to stand there & look at the layout, the first few beginning & ending pages, & so forth. There's nothing really scary in those parts, just total geek happiness for people like me who can appreciate the homage to these page layouts, the fonts, the style, etc.... I just love the attention to detail like this & he has done this to perfection. Really an A+ job imo (for those parts).

You will be fine flipping through, but I feel certain that you would not want to read either book.

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 6

Bingo card: I had thought I was going to be able to match all the categories, but now I see there are some I have nothing for (adapted fairy tale; 2016 publication date); is it possible I was looking at some other, older version?

I think it's possible you're using an earlier version. I think Robin has made cards for a couple of years now. (?)

• Like 6

Stacia, the layout/framework is intriguing enough that I appreciate the warning. Are this and the Ikea one graphic novels? How does the catalogue and yearbook part work?

I finished Persuasion. For the umpteenth time.

Nan

I have been waiting for Stacia to comment first. I read Horrastor( ?) as an ebook and enjoyed it greatly but didn't get the total catalogue feel of it obviously. I am a wee bit addicted to Ikea and have been to many stores in several countries. I loved the Ikea turned really bad....I tend to picture books in my mind as I read and the IKea was so easy. I know the departments really well. ;) That being said we haven't been near an Ikea in months.

I have the yearbook one on hold as an ebook too. I was the editor of a yearbook in 1981 so I suspect I will have a great time reading it.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Working to finish up the stack of neglected books with bookmarks halfway through that always seem to accumulate, but I might not have time for that much reading before the end of the year!

55. "God Wants a Powerful People" by Sheri Dew (LDS).

54. "Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Howard W. Hunter" (LDS).

53. "Women and the Priesthood" by Sheri Dew (LDS).

52. "The Terrorist's Son: A Story of Choice" by Zak Ebrahim with Jeff Giles.

51. "Touching the Void: The True Story of One Man's Miraculous Survival" by Joe Simpson.

50. "Why We Write About Ourselves: Twenty Memoirists on Why They Expose Themselves (and Others) in the name of Literature" ed. by Meredith Maran.

49. "Write Your Memoir: The soul work telling your story" by Dr. Allan G. Hunter.

48.  "Shimmering Images: A Handy Little Guide to Writing Memoir" by Lisa Dale Norton.

47. "The Story of Science" by Susan Wise Bauer

46. "The Kids' Guide to Staying Awesome and in Control" by Lauren Brukner. 

45. "Freaks, Geeks & Asperger Syndrome" by Luke Jackson.

44.  "Seven Miracles That Saved America" by Chris Stewart and Ted Stewart (LDS). 

43. "The Reading Promise: My Father and the Books We Shared" by Alice Ozma.

42. "Unsolved Mysteries of American History" by Paul Aron.

41. "The Out-of-Sync Child Grows Up" by Carol Stock Kranowitz. 

40. "Look Me in the Eye: my life with asperger's" by John Elder Robison.

39. "The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History" by Thomas E. Woods.

38. "A Buffet of Sensory Interventions: Solutions for Middle and High School Students with Autism Spectrum Disorders" by Susan Culp. 

37. "Thinking in Pictures" by Temple Grandin.

36. "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child" by Jack Thorne, et al

35. "The Wizard of Oz" by Frank Baum. 

34. "Adventures of Tom Sawyer" by Mark Twain.  (We listened as we traveled in Missouri!)

33. "Blue Fairy Book" by Andrew Lang.

32. "Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing" by Judy Blume.

31. "Greenwich" by Susan Cooper.

30. "Dark is Rising" by Susan Cooper.

29. "Clash of Cultures" by Christopher and James Lincoln Collier.

28. "The Story of US: First Americans" by Joy Hakim.

27. "Freak the Mighty" by Rodman Philbrick. 

26. "The Mouse and the Motorcycle" by Beverly Cleary.

25."Caddie Woodlawn" by Carol Ryrie Brink.

24. "Frightful's Mountain" by Jean Craighead George.

23.  "The Power of Vulnerability" by Brene Brown.

22.  "My side of the Mountain" by Jean Craighead George.

21. "Cheaper By the Dozen" by Frank Butler Gilbreth, Jr. and Ernestine Gilbreth Carey.

20. "Murder on the Ballarat Train" by Kerry Greenwood.

19. "Over See, Under Stone" by Susan Cooper

18. "Sing Down the Moon" by Scott O'Dell.

17. "Soft Rain" by Cornelia Cornelissen.

16. "The Collapse of Parenting" by Leonard Sax.

15. ""Flying Too High: A Phyrne Fisher Mystery" by Kerry Greenwood.

14. "Cocaine Blues: A Phyrne Fisher Mystery" by Kerry Greenwood.

13. "Let It Go" by Chris Williams

12. "Writing From Personal Experience" by Nancy Davidoff Kelton.

11. "Writing the Memoir" by Judith Barrington.

10.  "Boys Adrift" by Leonard Sax.

9. "Girls on the Edge" by Leonard Sax.  

8. "Christ and the Inner Life" by Truman G. Madsen. (LDS)  

7. "Gaze into Heaven" by Marlene Bateman Sullivan. (LDS)

6. "To Heaven and Back" by Mary C. Neal, MD.

5. "When Will the Heaven Begin?" by Ally Breedlove.

4. "Four" by Virginia Roth.

3. "Allegiant" by Virgina Roth.

2. " Insurgent" by Virginia Roth.

1. "Divergent" by Virginia Roth.

• Like 2