Menu

Good night, Broadchurch should come with a warning label.

Seasider

Oh, and gut-wrenching the whole way through. It's definitely not in the "happy-ending who dunnit" genre! It's both dark and gripping.

Try stopping mid episode during a calm moment of the story. It's easier than the episode ends which are made to torment you.

Can you imagine waiting a week for each instalment?

Edited by bolt.
  • Like 3

I don't know why I'm so fascinated with the melancholy these days. It's just more real than a lot of American current television offerings. Life is messy, yknow? It's interesting to consider how various people deal with the mess.

I watched 5 episodes last night, ending with the Jack Marshall episode. Seems like the whole town is involved in some way I'm trying to figure out. Tonight will probably be another late nighter.

Edited by Seasider
  • Like 2

Oh, and gut-wrenching the whole way through. It's definitely not in the "happy-ending who dunnit" genre! It's both dark and gripping.

Try stopping mid episode during a calm moment of the story. It's easier than the episode ends which are made to torment you.

Can you imagine waiting a week for each instalment?

No no no to the waiting a week. We are spoiled, aren't we? I sound like a old geezer telling of walking 5 miles each way to school, uphill both ways, when I tell my youngest about the long ago when we actually had to wait a whole week (or whole summer, egads!) to find out what happened next.

• Like 1

Would I like this? The only thing I've watched and liked in past few years are Downton Abbey, Call the Midwife and Mad Men...

It's quite intriguing but not a happily-ever-after story, not through episode 5 anyway, and not ever based on other replies upthread.

David Tennant in a full Scottish accent, on the other hand, is quite a good reason to watch!

• Like 2

It's quite intriguing but not a happily-ever-after story, not through episode 5 anyway, and not ever based on other replies upthread.

David Tennant in a full Scottish accent, on the other hand, is quite a good reason to watch!

Oh yes. I'm about to give the dragon audiobooks another whirl..I think DD is ready ;)

Eta that I don't think of Call the Midwife as particularly happy--I'm looking at you, "Christmas" episode from a couple of seasons back which I still think about too often!

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 1

What do you think of Broadchurch for young teens?  My dds are 15 and 13.  I know the basic storyline of the first season.  We are all Doctor Who fans, so David Tennant is a big draw...  We are looking for a new series after finishing Downton, and are anxiously waiting for Class to premiere on BBC America.  I do have Call the Midwife in our queue but no one else here is excited about that one....

What do you think of Broadchurch for young teens? My dds are 15 and 13. I know the basic storyline of the first season. We are all Doctor Who fans, so David Tennant is a big draw... We are looking for a new series after finishing Downton, and are anxiously waiting for Class to premiere on BBC America. I do have Call the Midwife in our queue but no one else here is excited about that one....

That's really dependent on your family. It deals with the question of pedophilia (though never graphically) and season 2 has partial nudity / sex scenes. I'd call it pg-13. I think for teens it's fine--there's a lot of good discussion to be had about bad things happening even in idyllic small towns, and how you can't just magically "sense" or anticipate the people who do horrible things. But if you don't think your teens are ready for mature content, it wouldn't be a good fit.

• Like 1

I think I'm too early in yet to say, though I have a bad feeling about Arthur Darville's character taking a sinister twist. You would have to be ready to discuss pedophilia, premarital sex, drug use, extramarital relationships, student-teacher relationships... So quite mature themes. Just because it's the same actors doesn't mean it's level appropriate. But everyone's level of comfort in what they allow teens to view varies, so I can't say. Personally I would leave this as one for my kids to watch on their own after crossing the graduation line, if they are so inclined.

• Like 1

Oh yes. I'm about to give the dragon audiobooks another whirl..I think DD is ready ;)

Eta that I don't think of Call the Midwife as particularly happy--I'm looking at you, "Christmas" episode from a couple of seasons back which I still think about too often!

Speaking of the dragon audiobooks (which are fantastic!) and Broadchurch, I have to share. At a certain point David-as-cop shouts/roars, "Oh, for God's sake!" But I had so recently been hearing him do dragon books that I was sure he said, "For Thor's sake!" (Which he roars many times in the dragon books, with *exactly* the same tone.) So I burst out laughing and had to rewind and check multiple times.

It just tickled me that he can basically "re-use" that roar because I'm pretty sure the crossover audience between dragon training books and Broadchurch is limited to, um, me, and the rest of you guys here.

• Like 2

That's really dependent on your family. It deals with the question of pedophilia (though never graphically) and season 2 has partial nudity / sex scenes. I'd call it pg-13. I think for teens it's fine--there's a lot of good discussion to be had about bad things happening even in idyllic small towns, and how you can't just magically "sense" or anticipate the people who do horrible things. But if you don't think your teens are ready for mature content, it wouldn't be a good fit.

Thanks PP for asking and you for replying. I think I will give this a try with DS