Menu

Why does my 6 year old ds walk in circles??

This is new. Over the last few weeks he's been walking in circles. If we're in a waiting room he walks in circles. If we're doing memory work he circles the table. If he's thinking about something (like lego starwars) he walks in circles. He's even walking in circles during violin practice. It's starting to drive me crazy. Does anyone else have a child who has done this? Please tell me he'll grow out of it at some point.

Both of my older children did this. The circles got bigger and bigger as they did until they lapped the entire backyard. ;) They did this when they were imagining or memorizing, sometimes they even talked to themselves while doing it. They grew out of it by age 12. :)

Well....

I still do this. If I really need to think something through I walk an oval around our kitchen and livingroom. The other thing that works is jumping on a trampoline. I have always paced. In college I used to walk the beach for hours - back and forth - in order to think through papers or contemplate life. My parents bought me several trampolines throughout my school years. I would wear them out!

So he may never grow out of it. (I also talk to myself - out loud, while pacing. That really drives my family crazy. :D)

Interestingly, none of my children are pacers.

Well....

I still do this. If I really need to think something through I walk an oval around our kitchen and livingroom. The other thing that works is jumping on a trampoline. I have always paced. In college I used to walk the beach for hours - back and forth - in order to think through papers or contemplate life. My parents bought me several trampolines throughout my school years. I would wear them out!

So he may never grow out of it. (I also talk to myself - out loud, while pacing. That really drives my family crazy. :D)

I can still vividly remember my eventually to be dh walking in circles around me at my locker. He was talking to me....but I kept having to turn to keep him in site. Cracked me up then...and now ds does the same thing. Yes, it also drives me nuts when ds8 does it. I sometimes take him by the shoulders and say, 'you must stop moving for a moment so my brain can rest.' :)

Well....

Perhaps, my dc stopped because I bought a trampoline. ;) I had never made the connection before.

Well....

Aaah! It's too much - can't I make him stop?

Sorry, not as far as I know. You could try a little trampoline. I still keep one in the laundry area and tuck it under my bed when company comes.

In fact, I mentioned it to my dh when he stopped in for lunch and he said I pace more often than I realize. Probably one or two hours per day! :001_huh:

He says I often pace when drinking coffee, or talking to him, or watching t.v., or using the computer. I didn't even realize I pace as much as I do!

Edited by Melissa B

I walk all over the place while I am on the phone. My dds walk constantly. Maybe that's why they're so slim. They also like to circle wearing roller blades. And they circle while horse riding. My dh walks around and around while on the phone. Even the dogs run around in circles....... What's going on here?

It's just a kid quirk. I like quirky kids.

My son has so many odd quirks. Wandering in circles is just one of them. He gets caught up in his head and various twitches come out when he's deep in though or concentration. I think it did increase around six, if memory serves me well.

I do remind him - often - to stop. I do it nicely and almost automatically and he eventually settles the quirk of the month down a bit. I figure he isn't in a school setting where he'll get peer comments to keep such odd things in check so I do it, only hopefully a lot nicer.

I just shrug it off, only stopping the weirdest ones. I'm fine with walking in circles but he's done things like slap his chin, his chest (like an ape), all while making mumble noises to himself. The movements go along with something he's deep in thought about. He seems to need to express some of those thoughts physically, though chest beating an mumbling in the middle of the store is just a bit too odd for me! I tell him what he's doing and he gives a sheepish smile, then quits or moves to just twitching a part of his hand.

We do have a trampoline. He doesn't like it much. His older sister is one it constantly but he hardly ever jumps unless he's actively playing with someone.

It's just a kid quirk. I like quirky kids.

My son has so many odd quirks. I'm fine with walking in circles but he's done things like slap his chin, his chest (like an ape), all while making mumble noises to himself. The movements go along with something he's deep in thought about. He seems to need to express some of those thoughts physically, though chest beating an mumbling in the middle of the store is just a bit too odd for me! I tell him what he's doing and he gives a sheepish smile, then quits or moves to just twitching a part of his hand.

Sounds like my ds8....and he too is usually deep in some private game of imagination. Last night in Bible Study he was playing something on his lap with his hands...I had to put my hands on his several times to bring him back to reality.

maybe you can just divert it...

it will probably help to have something he can do with his hands - which might still drive you nuts.

rolling a pencil between fingers, bouncing a small stress ball from hand to hand, a sketch pad to doodle on, legos or k'nex to mindlessly mess with...

keep in mind whatever you give him, he'll decide how to mindless use it, so you could end up with a more annoying habit. (like the rapid clicking thing with pens or whatever)

• 12 years later...

I know this topic was posted very long time but I am hoping I can get some information please.

On 10/15/2008 at 5:51 PM, kat19 said:

My ds 13 paces around the whole house.

At night he goes into the kitchen and walks back and forth talking to himself.

I have no idea why.

Hi Kat19, I know this has been posted very very long time ago, but did you find the reason for that? My nephew (14yrs) does exactly the same. Any information would really be appreciated.

On 4/18/2021 at 2:15 AM, Hamid said:

I know this topic was posted very long time but I am hoping I can get some information please.

Hi Kat19, I know this has been posted very very long time ago, but did you find the reason for that? My nephew (14yrs) does exactly the same. Any information would really be appreciated.

My ds does this. He told me that walking around helps him think and organize his thoughts.