Menu

Back to homeschooling

Pamela H in Texas

So I thought I'd use a virtual academy for my daughter this year.  She needs a bit more help, particularly from other people.  And I thought the accountability would do us well.  There are also a few other things going on so I thought it would help me be able to take a bit of a backseat (HA!).

Anyway, I sent our letter of intent today to the principal and special education lady (just because the decision was originally discussed with her).  I used a form letter, personalized.  I also send the Commissioners letter to administrators.

I was still asked about curriculum a few times.  GRRRRR

I finally wrote something like:

We are using a curriculum that exceeds the requirements by Texas homeschool law.  It is bonafide, not a sham.  It is visual such as books and computer.  It covers what Texas law requires of homeschool and much more.  

I didn't hear back so I guess they got the point.  

(I want to say everyone was very nice.  I just don't want to volunteer more information than is required.)

Anyway, so officially, tomorrow, we are back to homeschooling.  

• Like 7

I was talking to a woman who works for a nearby school district (not ours) about homeschooling and she started asking me questions about curriculum and I said something about not really using packaged curriculum... She asked me how I provide curriculum info to the school district.. Which is not something a school district here is allowed to ask families for... I mentioned such to her and she started to argue with me and she continued to tell me how many families her district deters from homeschooling (as though thus was a triumph) due to their 'strict curriculum requirements.' I told her that one of these days HSLDA will show up at their doors. Odd conversation.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

CES,  If you homeschool from the get-go, you don't have to tell anyone anything.

However, you DO have to pull your kids out of school formally.  You can either do their forms or you can write a letter of intent (there is one on the state association website).  Schools seem to almost always ask about curriculum, program, etc.  It is  highly advised not to answer such questions because we don't want the state thinking we're okay with such questions. So I didn't answer with what materials we're using, but with a statement that answered the three parts of the  homeschool law we ARE to follow (bonafide, visual, covers certain subjects).  

Anyway, we tried public school and virtual school, now back to homeschooling :)