Menu

Do I thank September or growl at it?

creekland

Hot and humid in September... our usually fantastic "fall" month where it's perfectly nice outside - wonderful to work in.  :glare:

Do I "thank" the month for keeping my sweat glands exercised even before 10am and keeping me skirting heat exhaustion by getting needed field chores done or do I growl at it for taking away my second favorite time of the year (spring wins)?

And there's so much more that needs to get done since we set a heat record in August causing me to procrastinate (sigh).  I can't procrastinate any longer though.  Cockleburrs ripen regardless of the heat.

Naturally when it turns nice next week we need to head out of town. (another sigh)

Off to shower now though... I'm done for the day regardless of "need."  I think I need to buy (or rent) goats!

I think September is tricky in a lot of places. It seems like it should be cool, but the first half really is an extension of August. But after the middle of September? It usually redeems itself. Even here, where we'll have highs and lows ten degrees cooler than they have been which is wonderful. And after September is October!

• Like 1

I think September is tricky in a lot of places. It seems like it should be cool, but the first half really is an extension of August. But after the middle of September? It usually redeems itself. Even here, where we'll have highs and lows ten degrees cooler than they have been which is wonderful. And after September is October!

Well, our average high for this date in Sept is 78 degrees.  Right now (10:45 am) it's already 85 degrees with high humidity - on it's way to the mid 90s if forecasters are correct.

I'm personally fond of hitting 78 somewhere around 1 - 3 pm.  That makes ideal "working outside" conditions for me.

• Like 1

Normally I'd say thank you because sweating is good for you. However, today I can't find a hair tie and my hair is sticking to the back of my neck, which I hate, and our AC is broken so I'm very mad at this September so far! Meaning you should be mad too 😃

This is not a good day/week for a broken AC!  I hope you have alternatives of some sort...

This is not a good day/week for a broken AC! I hope you have alternatives of some sort...

Haha. Our AC has been broken ALL summer. So this week isn't the worst we've been through. But not having a hair tie sure sucks! We could get it fixed easily enough but just haven't made the call. Dh is at work in the AC all day and I grew up with no central air just one wall unit in the living room so I'm used to it. Fans and lots of drinking ice water does the trick for me. The kids simply play in the sprinkler and kid pool off and on all day.

• Like 1

Growl. I am so tired of the humidity and not being able to take the kids out to play because of the mosquito madness going on here. Not that it being hot here in September is anything new, but contemplating 2 more months of it is making me irritable today. It's just gross out. 

Since you're used to cooler weather in September I say growl.

For us September is still very hot and humid, though it hasn't been too bad this year so far. 

Yeah, that would be why we moved from FL 20 years ago... to a supposedly more temperate climate.  The high heat for so many months of the year was more than we wanted.   :001_unsure:

I like Florida... in February.  That tends to be an ideal month to leave PA too.   ;)

• Like 1

Growl.

This is the first year I'm seriously thinking I prefer the cold in winter to the heat, and I really don't like the cold.

This kind of heat and humidity - I walk outside and basically can't breathe.  Forget actually doing anything that involves getting the heartbeat up or breathing faster.  I'm basically stuck walking from AC to AC.   Usually September mean we can start leaving the windows open at night and it's perfect weather for hikes and walks.  Not this year, at least not so far.  :glare:

Cold makes some joints ache - I feel every old break and injury but I usually can breathe better in winter (unless I'm sick of course). 

I really miss wearing my hoodies.  :crying:   Other years I would wear them at night even in the summer, definitely by this time of year.

• Like 1

Growl. I am pregnant and miserable in this heat, even with blasting the AC units. I really rely on April, September, and October not to need much, if any, AC or upstairs heat (electric baseboard) in order to balance out our electric bill for the year. So a long, cold winter and a long, hot summer are bad for us.

Plus, did I mention it's miserable? I can't take walks because I don't sleep well enough to be up early, and it's still too hot into the evening to walk. Plus, I'm allergic to dust mites, which are a problem in the heat/humidity. Even with frequent vacuuming and daily Zyrtec and NetiPot and lots of water, I'm miserable.

Remind me of this when I'm complaining about the frozen tundra yard. I want my fall and spring.

Edited by happypamama
  • Like 1

And it's 77 degrees already at 6:15 this morning.  I'm here waiting for dawn to get out working as soon as I can see.  We have a person coming to the farm around 10am and I'm debating whether I should try showering first or if it's more "impressive" if they see me dripping in sweat.  We'll be meeting outside (looking at a section of the farm they put a gas line through and didn't reseed properly), so even if I shower first, I'm sure it won't be long before we're sweating again.   :glare:

77 would make such a perfect high temp, but it's a horrid low IMO.  Even our cat is sprawled under the ceiling fan already.