Menu

easiest way to do Shakespeare?

caedmyn

This would be primarily for my 5th grader.  I feel like she *should* do Shakespeare, though I'm not entirely sure why.  Probably because it's on the CM lists and people talk about Shakespeare being so great.  We did part of Beautiful Stories from Shakespeare a couple of years ago and neither of us liked it much.  Realistically, it's only going to happen this year if it's really, really easy.  Maybe an audiobook of a children's Shakespeare would be the way to go?  Or just wait another year and maybe I'll become more convinced of the reason behind it which would probably result in more motivation to actually include it?

We did

Tales from Shakespeare by Charles and Mary Lamb http://www.bartleby.com/1012/

Brick Shakespeare which was great for my Lego lovers https://www.amazon.com/Brick-Shakespeare-Four-Tragedies-Comedies/dp/1629145270

This year my DS10 is reading No Fear Shakespeare http://nfs.sparknotes.com

There are also some nice Shakespeare plays by BBC on YouTube.

• Like 2

We are slow reading our way through A Midsummer Night's Dream. Just one page a day, discuss, narrate, done. It's been quite simple and effective. I picked up a beautiful Rackham copy from a second hand shop.

We also watched a documentary I happened to have laying around (on a whim on a sick/no school day). Dd was hooked. She has now read through a few other plays on her own and is planning a performance with some friends later in the year. When we finish Midsummer, I've got a couple of different versions to watch (you can stream from the Globe website!) and I'll try and hunt out a live performance.

Eta- dd just turned 11.

Edited by LMD

When we've done something where the language may be a stumbling block, I've given my kids read a graphic novel version first (our library has a great selection of graphic novels of classics) (ie right now we're reading Beowulf -- my 10th grader started with the graphic novel, then we read a prose translation and now we're reading the Heaney translation - he has a solid understanding of what's going on in the story so the language is a separate issue.)

The most basic way to "do" Shakespere is to go to plays, or watch recorded versions.  Kids at that age can watch a whole play, generally, so there is no need for shorter versions, though which play does make a difference.  Since it take a bit of time to pick up the flow of language, it can help to read a short outline first, and especially to name the characters. 

I think that whatever else you might want to do with it, that is the most important thing.  They are plays, they are meant to be watched.

We haven't actually implemented what I heard in this podcast from Pam Barnhill, but it sounds easy enough. Over the course of 6 weeks, you read a picture book version of a Shakespeare play, then you watch it, either live or on film. Then you get a paperback of it and follow along while listening to it on audiobook. There is some memorization mentioned, but I forget all the details.

This would be primarily for my 5th grader.  I feel like she *should* do Shakespeare, though I'm not entirely sure why.  Probably because it's on the CM lists and people talk about Shakespeare being so great.  We did part of Beautiful Stories from Shakespeare a couple of years ago and neither of us liked it much.  Realistically, it's only going to happen this year if it's really, really easy.  Maybe an audiobook of a children's Shakespeare would be the way to go?  Or just wait another year and maybe I'll become more convinced of the reason behind it which would probably result in more motivation to actually include it?

Yes, Shakespeare IS great and absolutely pivotal in English-speaking Literature, and his works are still influencing us today… However, I'll take a slightly different approach, and grant you permission to NOT do it with a 5th grader. ;) JMO, but I don't think Shakespeare is a "should" until along about 11th-12th grades, so feel free to wait another 4-6 years, until it is more age-appropriate and of interest! :)

There are tons of terrific "don't miss" children and young adult books that are absolutely perfect for grades 5-8, and you really only have that limited window of opportunity for doing them -- whereas Shakespeare can be explored and enjoyed for the rest of your life. So unless your child is expressing a great interest in Shakespeare right now, there is no problem in waiting until high school. Permission granted.  :laugh:

If you absolutely "must" do some Shakespeare with a 5th grader, then previous posters have provided a good variety of ideas for tackling it. Another idea, if it exists in your area, is to sign up for a Shakespeare co-op class or community theater production for 4th-6th graders taught by a motivated/excited teacher. ;) And a few more ideas for versions of Shakespeare and resources -- some of which would work for a 5th grader -- in this recent thread: "Shakespeare versions for 8th grader?"

Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1