Menu

If you hs for academic reasons and find out a private school is doing a better job...

dorothy

how do you stay motivated?

My dd's friend (same age/grade) is attending a top private school in our area. We were talking about her school day and interests and her school subjects are all excellent, accelerated, and she is loving it. I am just wondering - should I put my dd in this school? Would she learn more with teachers who specialize in certain areas? For example, we struggle with writing. Her PS friends are doing MUCH BETTER with their writing. I have read samples of their work and it is really very good. My dd struggles. They attribute the great writing to a certain teacher who was amazing and made them all love writing. My dd could have been in that class. She is as smart as her friends. She would probably be better off. In math, I have to work hard at understanding some things before I can even teach her. If she had a math teacher who was really good at math, the teacher could make her understand math better than I can.

I feel discouraged about my choice because I am afraid that I do not know enough to be the great teacher she deserves. I do work on being a good teacher and I do not have lots of spare time to prep more than I already do.

I am thinking that I may be holding my dd back from getting the best teaching she can get.

Anyone have any words of wisdom?

myself, but I know what you are feeling. I have those feelings a lot. In many ways it is harder to teach some subjects at home especially writing. I cannot help you really, but I can empathize. Have you looked into any combo co-ops where you have a couple school days and a couple days at home. There are pros and cons on both sides and it is nice to do a little of both.

Right now I'd jump at the chance to put my older kids in an excellent private school and just focus on my little ones.

If you were to put her in this private school, what would you lose? You have a sense of what will be gained but what is the other side of the coin. Academics is a part of why we homeschool but it's not the whole picture. Just a day ago, dd's dad was telling me I should cut her some slack b/c she's nowhere near as bad as other kids he has seen behavior/manners wise. I reminded him that there is a reason she is not like the other kids.

If you feel in your heart this is what is best for your dd, by all means, give it a try. Have you explored other options for her though? Different curricula that holds your hand a little more or even out-sourcing your trouble subjects. There are writing programs that do everything for you.

“Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."

- Christopher Robin to Pooh by A.A. Milne

:) Jessica

All I will say is that is always looks good on the outside. My son made straight A's and was top of his class. I got him home and found his struggles - some of them are major. Before I was involved in his education like I am now, it all looked rosey on the outside. He won more awards at the end of last year than any other child in his class, yet he can't spell the word "down" without asking me if it is ou or ow. ???

Each child will have struggles. My youngest excels in spelling and reading and is doing both at a very young age (5 years, 2 weeks old!) while my oldest struggles with these things. However, my youngest struggles a bit with concepts like counting backwards, and for a long time, he totally didn't get rhyming words!! And my kids have the SAME TEACHER. KWIM?

Try not to be discouraged, the grass always looks greener till you get to the other side and see that it has dog piles too! (just in different places) :) HTH

I know how you feel! We live in the DC area, and have (very wealthy!) friends who go to great private schools. Like, my dream school. But I can't afford $25,000 a year in tuition, so that is quite the incentive to keep on keepin on.

I will honestly say that if we could afford it, I'd stick the girls in my school of dreams tomorrow. But we can't, so we don't.

I would have no problem putting my son in a school that was better academically than we can offer him, as long as it also coincided with our values and way of life. We can't, the closest decent schools are more than forty-five minutes away. Even if they were closer, they are just out of our affordability (I'm spelling that wrong) range. There is also a homeschool store near my grandparents that runs exceptional classes for students. I wish we could do that too! Unfortunately, it's 2 1/2 hours away. So, we do what we can.

Dh and are lucky in that I was an English and History major in college and he is a college professor of Chemistry, with a grounded background in math, so we do feel we can give our son a good education.

There are times when I really, really wish we had a school close by that was affordable. I'll be honest and say that I do think there are things my son misses out on by being home. I also love homeschooling, and my son is thriving...so I try to take all the good I can from it.

I'm not personally homeschooling for just academic reasons, but to answer your question, I would remind myself that homeschooling is God's best for us because that is what He has provided and I would seek to be faithful in it. The private school isn't doing a "better job", it's doing a different job. You have opportunities as a homeschooler that they don't have, I would focus on those and on your daughter's strengths and try not to concern yourself with what other kids are doing, unless it's to get ideas for your own teaching.

Hi Dorothy,

You have received some good advice, but your post really spoke to me so I wanted to respond. My husband and I are fortunate enough to have the income to afford the very best private schools for our two dd's. In fact, they both attended the top private school within an hour's drive of us (my older dd for 3 years and my younger dd for 6 months). Dh and I happily shelled out $1300 a month in tuition alone for our dd's to attend. We wanted the best for our dc -- no matter the cost. But, I learned that even though the school was/is fantastic.... it simply wasn't good enough for us.

The private school my girls attended was for academically gifted students and required an IQ test for admittance. Everything about this school looked fabulous. The school included Kumon math as part of their curriculum for students age 4 & up. My oldest dd received the honor of placing 2nd in the nation in Kumon math for 2 years in a row. Little math whiz, huh? Nope.... not really. She'd learned the system, that's all. In the two years since we began home schooling, her annual Stanford test in math has risen dramatically.

All children in this school wrote and illustrated a "book" in Kindergarten. Sounds impressive compared to a lot of other 5 year olds. But, in reality, the kid's parents did most of the writing. So, of course, at the end of the year when the class held its "Young Author's" party, to celebrate the children's accomplishments... it all looked good.

The main reason I brought my children home to educate them was not however, merely the belief that I could do better. I probably would've continued dropping them off at 8 and picking them up at 3 if I hadn't grown to dislike them more by the day. Horrible to admit I suppose, but true. I did not like my own children anymore. My dd8 was rude, mean, disrespectful, shallow, hateful and cruel. She was being "socialized" by the kids at school and it wasn't a pretty sight.

I do not keep my girls locked in the house. We are very active home schoolers. We participate in a wonderful Classical Conversations co-op, attend a church w/ vibrant programs for youth, and the girls play sports and various other seasonal activities. They're around other kids. A LOT. But, other kids no longer define what's "cool" or "appropriate" for them. They treat their father & I with respect and others with courtesy and kindness. My heart bursts with pride now when I watch them interact with others in a positive way. And I truly enjoy being around my children, which wasn't the case a couple of years ago.

I know it's easy to doubt yourself. I know how hard home schooling is -- it's by far the hardest job I've ever had! I know how *good* private schools can appear. But I also know there's no writing instructor on earth who can inspire your dd more than you can. If you believe a private school is best for your dd, then by all means send her there. But, we've been in that private school and I'm going to pass.

All my best Dorothy!!

Edited by Linda...inOwasso
typo

There are no classical schools that are within driving distance from us; we'd have a hard time affording it, even if we could afford it.

We do Classical Conversations, which I find very appealing for my children. I look very forward to my children doing 7th grade, it's the end of homeschooling all by myself, and the beginning of my children having even more interaction with other trusted adults, AND, it's still only one day a week. And of course, there's the time at the end of it, before the public school year is over.

PS, we just heard the president from St Andrew's College speak tonight, and now I'm excited my children's college years...even more. (I have two older children, that are afterschooled:-) Anyone have children going there? It's in Idaho...

Carrie:-)

Hi Dorothy,

The main reason I brought my children home to educate them was not however, merely the belief that I could do better. I probably would've continued dropping them off at 8 and picking them up at 3 if I hadn't grown to dislike them more by the day. Horrible to admit I suppose, but true. I did not like my own children anymore. My dd8 was rude, mean, disrespectful, shallow, hateful and cruel. She was being "socialized" by the kids at school and it wasn't a pretty sight.

I do not keep my girls locked in the house. We are very active home schoolers. We participate in a wonderful Classical Conversations co-op, attend a church w/ vibrant programs for youth, and the girls play sports and various other seasonal activities. They're around other kids. A LOT. But, other kids no longer define what's "cool" or "appropriate" for them. They treat their father & I with respect and others with courtesy and kindness. My heart bursts with pride now when I watch them interact with others in a positive way. And I truly enjoy being around my children, which wasn't the case a couple of years ago.

:iagree:

This is EXACTLY the situation I was in. I was blessed with a WONDERFUL dd when dh and I were told we'd NEVER have children. I spent the first 5 years of her life enjoying every waking moment with her and was with bittersweet excitement I sent her to her first day of school. What transpired over the next 9 months was HORRIFIC!!!

She went to THE BEST private school in our area. I returned to a 9 to 5 job that I hated just to afford to send her. And what this lady wrote is EXACTLY what transpired in our own family. We got to the point we couldn't go out in public, I was embarassed to send her to SS class at church, much less anywhere else I wasn't right there with her, because of her rotten attitude and complete disrespect for others.

The problem, though, was in order to "survive" in the school setting, she HAD to act like this. If not, she was ridiculed HORRIBLY ~ yes, at FIVE!!! I can only imagine what it's like when kids get older.

We don't just homeschool for academics, though. Our's is a religious and family choice to do so. I would simply recommend you think long and hard about it. Maybe see if you can visit the school during lunch and break times to see how the kids interact with one another. That is as much or MORE important than the academics they receive.

Good luck with your decision!

Tammie in LA

Ultimately, this has to be a decision that you and your husband make. If you end up deciding that you would prefer the private schooling, go forward with confidence. You do what's best for your children and your family.

I do not homeschool for purely academic reasons; mine are academic and religious and social. However, if I did homeschool for just academic reasons, I would also seriously consider what you are considering.

I know that any school can have its pitfalls, as described so well here by others. But, I also know parents who have had great experiences. A case in point would be my aunt. She has sent her children to parochial schools from day one. Today she is very close to her daughters, who are both in high school. They confide in her because of the loving relationship she has endeavored to build with them over the years. They trust her. They look to her for advice. They send their friends to her for advice. And my aunt is anything but hip and modern in her values.

She and my uncle have never allowed their daughters to be rude, disrespectful, or have any of the other bad attitudes that are prevelant in schools. Mindlessly following fads and fashion was never allowed and always exposed for what it was. My aunt involved herself heavily in her daughter's schooling (and schools) from day one. (I'm sure she would have yanked her daughters from any school environment that was as detrimental as those that have been described here.)

So it's possible to build a loving, trusting relationship and have upright, respectful, productive children when using schools. It's all about what you purpose in your heart to do.

Either way, it will be a lot of work. I hope you have peace about whatever decision you make.

If this particular writing teacher is so amazing, why not contact her and ask her if she would be willing to tutor your child?

Another option--maybe the school would be willing to allow your daughter to attend just that writing class(for a reasonable fee)? There is a local private school near me that has allowed this arrangement for several homeschoolers I know.

If I had to choose, though, I'd try the tutoring option first, because if this is an area your daughter struggles with, she might feel more comfortable one-on-one than in a large group.

. . . and I could afford it, I would probably go for it.

The thing is that I've never seen that school.

For me, it's not just about the academics--although that is the primary reason we homeschool--but about it being the best thing for my child all around.

For example, my son has lots of interests. He dances semi-seriously, sings with a rigorous choir, builds and launches model rockets, plays a couple of instruments (although he's down to one at the moment), and does theatre whenever he can fit it into his schedule. He also loves to read and to build various crazy-complex creations with whatever he can find around the house. So, a fair amount of free time and flexibility in schedule to accomodate those activities is a big deal for us. Homeschooling allows us the opportunity to let him do all of those things while still maintaining a very academically rigorous curriculum.

If you can find me a school that teaches its 10 year olds all the subjects I'm teaching my son, with accomodations made for radical acceleration in appropriate subjects AND either offers all the arts experiences we're providing now OR allows enough scheduling flexibility for us to continue providing them AND has tuition we could afford without turning our lives upside down . . . I'd probably sign up.

My dd's friend (same age/grade) is attending a top private school in our area. We were talking about her school day and interests and her school subjects are all excellent, accelerated, and she is loving it. I am just wondering - should I put my dd in this school? Would she learn more with teachers who specialize in certain areas? For example, we struggle with writing. Her PS friends are doing MUCH BETTER with their writing. I have read samples of their work and it is really very good. My dd struggles. They attribute the great writing to a certain teacher who was amazing and made them all love writing. My dd could have been in that class. She is as smart as her friends. She would probably be better off. In math, I have to work hard at understanding some things before I can even teach her. If she had a math teacher who was really good at math, the teacher could make her understand math better than I can.

I feel discouraged about my choice because I am afraid that I do not know enough to be the great teacher she deserves. I do work on being a good teacher and I do not have lots of spare time to prep more than I already do.

I am thinking that I may be holding my dd back from getting the best teaching she can get.

I like having my children home too much to send them off, but there are days I would consider it if I thought the school could do it ALL better--I would not want to lose the relationships I've built with them. Usually a school takes that away from a family, from what I've seen.

A couple of things to look into--programs that you can pay for and still do school at home. Writing Assesment Services is one we've used. Soooooo goooood!

This year we are using Chalkdust Math, and my only wish is that we had started it earlier. I tried getting the BJU science tapes, but they were not available at the time I needed them.

There are ways to reach out and get help in areas you cannot teach yourself. It is another option.

J

Hi Dorothy,

You have received some good advice, but your post really spoke to me so I wanted to respond. My husband and I are fortunate enough to have the income to afford the very best private schools for our two dd's. In fact, they both attended the top private school within an hour's drive of us (my older dd for 3 years and my younger dd for 6 months). Dh and I happily shelled out $1300 a month in tuition alone for our dd's to attend. We wanted the best for our dc -- no matter the cost. But, I learned that even though the school was/is fantastic.... it simply wasn't good enough for us.

The private school my girls attended was for academically gifted students and required an IQ test for admittance. Everything about this school looked fabulous. The school included Kumon math as part of their curriculum for students age 4 & up. My oldest dd received the honor of placing 2nd in the nation in Kumon math for 2 years in a row. Little math whiz, huh? Nope.... not really. She'd learned the system, that's all. In the two years since we began home schooling, her annual Stanford test in math has risen dramatically.

All children in this school wrote and illustrated a "book" in Kindergarten. Sounds impressive compared to a lot of other 5 year olds. But, in reality, the kid's parents did most of the writing. So, of course, at the end of the year when the class held its "Young Author's" party, to celebrate the children's accomplishments... it all looked good.

I know it's easy to doubt yourself. I know how hard home schooling is -- it's by far the hardest job I've ever had! I know how *good* private schools can appear. But I also know there's no writing instructor on earth who can inspire your dd more than you can. If you believe a private school is best for your dd, then by all means send her there. But, we've been in that private school and I'm going to pass.

All my best Dorothy!!

Wow! This is such a great response. I am so impressed.

Dorothy, I personally would never compare what a school is doing academically to myself as a reason not to homeschool. However, this is my opinion and what I would choose. I am much more concerned about their character than I am about the academics. I want raise decent human beings who love Jesus Christ and follow His ways. My goal is for my sons to love to learn. When they love learning, everything else will follow. No matter what we all know if a child loves something, they will continue with it.

The above mentioned is only my opinion and my view of homeschooling. I know that your statement started with "if you homeschool for academic reasons." I don't homeschool for academics. It really is tertiary for me. My main goal is to teach them to love Jesus, respect others, love learning, then academics.

Blessings to you on your homeschooling journey!

In all sincerity,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

wow, even though I didn't need convincing regarding homeschooling in any way, this has been a great thread to read.

I ditto what Linda, Tammie and others have said so eloquently (I agree about approaching that writing teacher for tutoring - great idea), and also add this:

My mom was a SAHM. I was *very* close to her growing up. We had a wonderful mother-daughter relationship - until middle school.

My mom did not change. She was still the sweet, devoted, loving, involved woman who had always been there for me. But I changed. Going from elementary to middle school as a vulnerable, impressionable youth changed me dramatically for the worse. I am still sort of embarassed (26 years later!) at many of the things I did and said. But I had to do them to fit in and survive. And we lived in an upper middle class area with "excellent" schools. I lost interest in my family, focused solely on my friends, and while I still did well academically (it came sort of naturally still at that age), I was a different person. And high school only got worse.

I know we all change as we grow, but this was definitely environmentally/peer influenced. I remember wanting to be accepted and cool and part of the in-crowd SO bad that I did DUMB DUMB DUMB things (not silly little "writing on the walls" or "kids will be kids" things, mind you) Yes, I was obviously an insecure, impressionable personality type, but there are ALOT of us, especially at that age.

Then, I went to college, became a teacher, and taught from 1995-2003 in elementary and middle schools and let me tell you, things have NOT gotten ANY better. All the things that "changed" me in middle school are now present for 1st, 2nd and 3rd graders in many schools!

I DO believe it's possible to have a child that does not succumb to the "changes" that school/peers can create. I've seen those kids at least in the groups of students I have taught. But I'm not willing to take the chance with my own children.

Anyway, we also homeschool for academic and religious reasons, and I know academic was the one you were concerned with - but I wanted to share this so that you know that academics aren't necessarily the MOST important reason to keep your children home (IMHO at least). My personal experiences regarding the social impact of schools both when I was a child AND as a teacher in the very recent school systems, made me CERTAIN that I will homeschool at all costs. I'd rather them lose a little academically (although I don't think they will) then risk losing their hearts and our family relationship.

Good luck with your decision...

Ronda

Edited by kindermommy

At the forefront of our reasons for homeschooling is building long-term, solid relationship with our children.

If I knew of a private school that was doing a much better job of preparing their students academically, I would work harder to provide that academic environment by surrounding myself with people smarter than me.

For ie, an old grad-school friend is a prof at a near-by university, a young man in our church is doing grad work in Math and another young lady just graduated with an undergrad degree in Latin. I would access this people and ask for help. Self-education is key, although so much hard work when balancing domestics, multiple children and carving out time for dh and self-care.

I wouldn't underestimate how much your children are developing because of the secure, loving enviroment you're providing for them.

Warmly, Tricia

There is no guarantee that my children would thrive in even the finest private school.

I was in high end private and parochial schools for a few years. As individualized as the attention I received was, it was still less than what our boys are getting from us.

And these days all the boys would be labeled discipline problems or assigned, even if not by formal diagnosis, some code for a learning disability they may or may not have.

The goal is a superior education for our children. Those unique beings who are utterly dependent upon my wife and I for everything.

Sure, someday they won't be. But for now, even if money wasn't an issue; even if we found The. Best. School. EVAR; it wouldn't change the fact that they'll be educated in a group and that will necessitate shortcuts that we consider unacceptable.

Besides, how can I train them to think well if I send them to a place that, by its very nature, can't teach rigorous thinking in order to complete the assigned lesson? Even the best schools require a level of regimentation and mediocrity that I consider unacceptable.

FWIW

If I felt the way you are talking about and found that private school was doing better than I could I still couldn't afford it so it wouldn't matter. I do think it evens out too. Kids are good at different things at different time because of maturity levels and different stressors. If you can't afford private school then do the best that you can and it will work out..If you can afford this then you might think about putting her in too. We homeschool because so far we can do a better job than the schools and it was purely academic.

I would *love* to be able to send DS to private school. He went to preschool at a great Classical Christian school. Then we moved, and can't afford private school now.

I do worry that he is missing certain things that he would get at school. I am not really a crafty person, for example. I don't do lengthy calendar and circle time each day. Also, different teachers naturally would put a different "spin" on subjects than I would.

I hope to send him to private school by high school.

On the other hand, the things I like about homeschooling over private school:

*more family time/easier scheduling

*DS gets his work done faster than he would at school.

*I have money for extra-curricular activities and "extra subjects" that wouldn't necessarily be covered in school.

*Less peer pressure--DS can be his "own" person.

Right now, I try to make sure he gets lots of social outlets, and he is taking gymnastics, chess, and soccer.

In the end, there is no one right way to educate, IMO. I know people will disagree. I just hope I am doing the best thing for DS now by homeschooling.

Dorothy,

We pulled our older kids out of the "best" private school around. I knew I wasn't capable of teaching them every subject, nor was God calling me to do so. But the job can be done at home -- at least for this season of their school careers. They will attend CC for their final 2 years of high school.

I consider myself the principle of our little homeschool. I hire tutors, organize work-study groups and register for online classes as needed.

Ds 13 is tutored by his youth pastor in Apologetics on Friday afternoons. He has an excellent online Latin class w/ Mr. Spotts. Prof. Mosely from CD teaches math. I bought Teaching Company dvds for history. My son is watching a fantastic lecture as I type this. Mr. Thompson helps history come alive. What do I know about Early Russia & the fall of Constantinople?

Another young man at church is going to take my son to Starbucks to discuss Biology and then come back and do labs on Saturdays. Dr. Jim Nance has created Logic dvds to help w/ logic studies. Our youth pastor teaches my son guitar on Wednesdays. Now my son is teaching guitar to younger kids on Sundays.

The way I do it is not cheap, by any means. But worth every penny.

I have found "teachers" for my son who have a strong passion for their subject. My passion is history and lit, so that is my focus w/ the kids.

I also do Geography, Grammar & Bible. SWB & Andrew Campbell -- and all the fine folks here on the boards -- have helped make this happen -- and I am truly blessed.

This homeschool program that I have created is better than what they had at their private school. They work at their own pace, which is much faster than what they were accustomed to. With better retention :)

I hope this helps. Sorry if I'm rambling, we're a bit under the weather here at Dei Gratia Classical Academy. Not to mention, the Monday morning brain fog.

My little girls will attend our local classical school. God is definitely NOT calling me to teach them (thankfully). This is the cottage school that many families dream of. And its local and very economical! :)

Keep us posted on your thoughts. We are all here for each other.

My kids have been going to a great classical Christian school for 4 years and we have been very pleased. However, I decided this year to begin rotating my kids at home and hs one a year. It has been an excellent decision for out family. However, because I have twins the one at school often brings work home that I think is superior to what I have done at home. I keep reminding myself that I am giving everything to this endeavor and that there are positives and negatives on each side. I have another friend who brings her kids home every other year. This might be an option you could consider.

Trisha

a clear reflection of what a given child has learned. My ds was in school for all of elementary school, sixth grade and ninth grade. He would look as if he was doing all kinds of amazing stuff, but in reality his mastery of many subjects was incomplete. He finds the wasy we do math better-we move on only when he has mastered a topic.

Also, character. It is better shaped at home by parents IMO.

Dorothy,

We pulled our older kids out of the "best" private school around. I knew I wasn't capable of teaching them every subject, nor was God calling me to do so. But the job can be done at home -- at least for this season of their school careers. They will attend CC for their final 2 years of high school.

I consider myself the principle of our little homeschool. I hire tutors, organize work-study groups and register for online classes as needed.

Ds 13 is tutored by his youth pastor in Apologetics on Friday afternoons. He has an excellent online Latin class w/ Mr. Spotts. Prof. Mosely from CD teaches math. I bought Teaching Company dvds for history. My son is watching a fantastic lecture as I type this. Mr. Thompson helps history come alive. What do I know about Early Russia & the fall of Constantinople?

Another young man at church is going to take my son to Starbucks to discuss Biology and then come back and do labs on Saturdays. Dr. Jim Nance has created Logic dvds to help w/ logic studies. Our youth pastor teaches my son guitar on Wednesdays. Now my son is teaching guitar to younger kids on Sundays.

The way I do it is not cheap, by any means. But worth every penny.

I have found "teachers" for my son who have a strong passion for their subject. My passion is history and lit, so that is my focus w/ the kids.

I also do Geography, Grammar & Bible. SWB & Andrew Campbell -- and all the fine folks here on the boards -- have helped make this happen -- and I am truly blessed.

This homeschool program that I have created is better than what they had at their private school. They work at their own pace, which is much faster than what they were accustomed to. With better retention :)

I hope this helps. Sorry if I'm rambling, we're a bit under the weather here at Dei Gratia Classical Academy. Not to mention, the Monday morning brain fog.

My little girls will attend our local classical school. God is definitely NOT calling me to teach them (thankfully). This is the cottage school that many families dream of. And its local and very economical! :)

Keep us posted on your thoughts. We are all here for each other.

This is very inspirational for me . . .I know I'm soon coming to the end of my math abilities and I love the idea of history lectures online. Thank you for sharing how you manage to find expertise as a top-notch homeschool administrator!

Warmly, Tricia

You know best for your children. So follow your instinct.

We have a great Christian school near us. HS is very riguorous and class sizes very small. I hope to send my ds's there for highschool.

For me, there are benefits of going to to good private or public school for high school. I want them to experience a classroom environment with academic competition. I want them to follow a schedule and have multiple teachers. I want them to have to stand up for what they believe in before I send them off to college.

I want them to have to experience the "real world" before I send them off into it. And, to see that not everything is fair and just.

I do love homeschooling elementary school. I get the chance to lay down a great foundation. And, I can tailor our schedule and curriculum for them. But, that's not how life goes and so we won't be homeschooling for highschool.

If academic reasons are the only reason you are homeschooling, and you can afford the school, then I would definitely send my kids to a private school!