Menu

Ugh - ringworm JAWM

Granny_Weatherwax

DGD came home from vacation with her father's family and she has ringworm. They said they noticed the rash on day 3 of the vacation but thought they were mosquito bites. They were gone 9 days. The poor child has rings on her face, her neck, and her chest.

:glare:  

We've never had experience with ringworm but we knew what it was immediately. DGD's now being treated with antifungal cream.

They had a copy of our insurance card so they could have taken her to a clinic at no expense to them.

It's frustrating.

Poor kid! I am so sorry she has to deal with this!

I had a terrible case of ringworm a few years ago. It took a long time to look like ringworm. I knew. I had been exposed (holding a child at work who had a horrible case), and had both the nurses (if anyone is going to be an expert on IDing ringworm, it should be school nurses) where I work look at the rash several times, only to be told "I think that's a hive" or "bug bite?"

And then one day, it turned into a ring overnight and was obvious.

• Like 1

DS had issues with this wrestling. The only thing that works quick is bleach. That antifungal cream the doctor prescribed never worked. A little Clorox every morning and every night worked in four days. Done. Also, sheets should be washed every day. Sorry.

• Like 5

We had a serious family-wide war with ringworm when we adopted a kitten about 9 months ago--I feel for you guys. 

Since she's really covered I highly recommend taking her to the doctor for oral antifungal medication--it's just miserable to be fighting off the itchy rash with cream only and the oral meds really stop the spread. Of course you have to keep using the cream for weeks too. 

• Like 1

DS had issues with this wrestling. The only thing that works quick is bleach. That antifungal cream the doctor prescribed never worked. A little Clorox every morning and every night worked in four days. Done. Also, sheets should be washed every day. Sorry.

Thanks for the tips. We stripped  and washed her bed yesterday and will wash again today.  

I'll dab a bit of Clorox on her rings, too. 

We're going camping this weekend (first big trip in our new-to-us popup) and I won't be able to wash her bed linens every day. Any suggestions?

We're going camping this weekend (first big trip in our new-to-us popup) and I won't be able to wash her bed linens every day. Any suggestions?

sleeping in long sleeves and pants (new ones each night), maybe even a hooded sweatshirt. :p

and oral meds if the doctor can see her in time!

Edited by cabritadorada
  • Like 1

This is going to sound weird, but when my son had it on his scalp (notoriously hard to treat) what helped was using veterinary products. I ordered shampoo with keotconozole in it off amazon, and had him wash with that and leave it on for 5-10 minutes then rinse. Then when it was clean and dry we applied the anti fungal cream. 

Edited to add: I was a vet tech at the time. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 4

This is going to sound weird, but when my son had it on his scalp (notoriously hard to treat) what helped was using veterinary products. I ordered shampoo with keotconozole in it off amazon, and had him wash with that and leave it on for 5-10 minutes then rinse. Then when it was clean and dry we applied the anti fungal cream. 

Edited to add: I was a vet tech at the time. 

I grew up on a farm and we'd use pig medicine for ring worm.  Clears it up really quick.

My friend manages an animal shelter and is exposed to ringworm frequently, and she swears that the best treatment is clear nail polish.  Just dab  on enough to cover the affected areas of skin and let dry. It suffocates the fungi and keeps it from spreading.  

I wish I would have known to do this when we had a ringworm epidemic in our house a few years back (thanks to a new kitten).  We used anti-fungal cream and were very fastidious about washing bedding, towels, and clothing, and it did clear up within a week or so.  Good luck!

• Like 1