Menu

Latin. Ugh. So overwhelmed. 4th and 6th graders.

staceyobu

The current plan is that both will start Henle Latin in 7th grade with Classical Conversations.

I would like for both to do a Latin program next year. My 6th grader has done prima latina previously (and hated it).

4th grader has done a bit of Song School, but we didn't even finish that.

Any suggestions?

First Form was suggested previously to me, but it looks really overwhelming. I've also read to use GSWL, but then I don't know what to do with my 4th grader when he is in 5th and 6th grade.

Help.

There is Latina Christiana that is sandwiched between Prima Latina and First Form Latin, and it is perfect for what you are seeking.  You are right that First Form is a huge jump up and is initially overwhelming, but both children will be able to handle Latina Christiana.  FFL is a huge jump of from PL, so I would transition to FFL by doing LC first.  Get the teacher DVDs and follow the program as Memoria Press recommends and your child will be well-prepared for First Form.  A little bit each day, consistently, with the attitude that Latin is a core subject and not an add-on, is the key to success with Memoria Press Latin.  We're working Third Form Latin and First Form Latin here with my two kids, and they both started with Prima Latina.

• Like 2

We are also planning on doing Henle in CC Challenge A, and we are going to use Visual Latin this year.  The reason is that the creator of Visual Latin, Dwane Thomas, set up a schedule that matches Henle lessons with VL lessons.  Therefore, when we do Henle, we will already own VL and have familiarity with it.  He also teaches Henle because of many requests he has gotten from CC Challenge moms (dwanethomas.com). 

If you want the transition to Henle to go smoothly, I would:

1. Do GSWL with both students this year

2. With your sixth grader, find out what chapter of Henle they will be working through in Challenge A. Buy the books, and start drilling the vocabulary. Start memorizing the paradigms from the grammar book that go with each lesson. Henle has a lot of translation work and it will be helpful to have some familiarity.

3. When your 6th grader is in Challenge A you can have your younger student start working on the Henle vocab as well.

First form would be excellent preparation as well, but I would only use it with your sixth grader. I know you are overwhelmed by it, but it has been a big hit in my house. We used first and second form in 5th and 6th grade. It aligns nicely with Henle.

I agree about using Memoria's Latina Christiana. I did 1 and 2 with my daughter. Then we did First Form and part of Second form (the form series moved too slow for her) before we switched to BJ Latin for a year which was terrible in logical organization. We happily switched back to Memoria and their Henle guides. Latina Christina 1 will prepare you for Henle. If you have time to also do 2, it will give even more preparation. You do not have to go through the Form series to be ready for Henle. Memoria also has guides for Henle. We really liked working through these.

• Like 1

I agree about using Memoria's Latina Christiana. I did 1 and 2 with my daughter. Then we did First Form and part of Second form (the form series moved too slow for her) before we switched to BJ Latin for a year which was terrible in logical organization. We happily switched back to Memoria and their Henle guides. Latina Christina 1 will prepare you for Henle. If you have time to also do 2, it will give even more preparation. You do not have to go through the Form series to be ready for Henle. Memoria also has guides for Henle. We really liked working through these.

I used First Form with my 4th & 6th graders last year and LOVED it. We are going to finish it up (lots of family visits got us off track) and move on to Second Form. We tried LC1 and PL previously and couldn't make it through. I liked the organization of First Form better. I am going to try PL with my 3rd grader again this year. I hope it goes better after all I learned with First Form.

Not sure I can help but I will tell you what I am doing this year for my 5th grader. I did SSL in 3rd grade for dd10 but she did not retain much that year so I went over to LC and that worked out better because of the structure. After we're done I am going to FF and may use GSWL as a supplement for extra practice as I did with her older sister years before and it worked out GREAT!!!

• Like 1

Hmm, sounds like you've reached some consensus, so I'll throw something else into the mix! :laugh:

We used Minimus and Minimus Secundus at that age (then progressed to Cambridge and then Oxford Latin Course for more formal studies.)  It is very approachable and fun, which might work to lay foundations before your students start with Classical Conversations. HTH.

Latina Christiana is Ecclesiastical Latin (Christian Latin) which is a little different from classical Latin. To switch from christian to classical latin or vice versa might be confusing for young students. If CC Henle is your goal, I would stick with LC. Henle is the Christian Latin type. You could switch to First Form after LC 1 or also do LC 2 before Henle. But Henle will review all the grammar from the ground up. If CC Latin in Jr high has not changed, then you start with the beginning of Henle 7th grade, and again in 8th grade, and again in 9th grade each year going a little bit faster and further into the book. I do not know this first hand, a friend of mine used to be a CC person. But we have gone through a lot of Henle this last school year with my oldest child so I am very familiar with the content.

Also, if you use the LC, I highly recommend the Latine Ludere book of games and activities from Memoria. It gives extra activities that correlate with Latina Christina 1. Usually each lesson has a word search from the lesson's vocabulary, and then derivative or grammar form related matching, crossword puzzles, or hangman, etc. Memoria used to charge full price for the first Ludere book, and then a much cheaper price if you order a second copy at the same time. I think the cheaper copy is well worth the money since you have 2 students. The book of extra activities really gives some good practice and familiarization with the vocabulary and grammar. We really liked it for my middle child who was 4th grade last year. It happens to be on sale right now too. I don't see the part about the second book being cheaper - perhaps they do not do that right now. It might be worth asking about if you decide to order.

https://www.memoriapress.com/curriculum/latin/ludere-latine/