Menu

HELP! Identity stolen.

Kathryn

Freeze your credit (call the credit reporting places) and call your local police department's non-emergency line and ask how to file a report. The credit card companies will want you to do that. Then, call the places you received bills from, explain what happened and make sure the service is cancelled. Ask them what you need to do to get the charges out of your name. 

• Like 2

You can contact the credit agencies and talk to them about freezing your credit and making it harder to steal. I did that once as a precautionary measure. It made it hard (impossible, lol) to spur-of-the-moment apply for a store credit card, but it for sure is worth it.

I'd pull all 3 credit agencies reports, contact all 3 agencies to "freeze" your credit and report the breach of security and ask how they can help you, and contact OF COURSE those creditors who you already know about . . . It's gonna' be a PT job for weeks/months. The more you do right NOW the less work you'll have later . . .

Change ALL your passwords, shut down any non-essential accounts, only use very secure computers to access online accounts. Start checking your accounts daily (credit, bank, etc.) Many accounts allow multiple levels of security . . . I have a thing with my investment bank that they text me a code every time I try to log in, and I have to enter that code to log in . . . While changing all your passwords, do everything you can to double/triple secure each account. Change all those passwords each week for a while until you have figured this out. 

If I put a freeze on my credit, can i still see my reports? I looked at Equifax and Experian, can't get on Transunion. There is a Sam's Club card with almost $5000 on it also. There are also inquiries from Victoria's Secret and Macy's.

I can't get a real live person on the phone at any of the three credit agencies. I filed police report, fraud alert with credit agencies (through Equifax and they contact other two), and identity theft affidavit with FTC. I contacted Dillard's and Verizon. I can't get anyone on the phone at the credit agencies to answer my questions about viewing credit reports for free after the annual free one and whether I'll still have access to my report to see what's happening if I freeze it.

Finally was able to see the Transunion report. There were also two inquiries by T-Mobile. The first had an address in Katy, TX, the second had my address but with a phone number from an address ten years ago. The Transunion report also said *I* accessed my credit report on July 7 (I did not). All the inquiries and charges I know about so far happened on 07/21 and 07/22.

FYI the deputy who came to the house said just yesterday (the day I filed the report), he arrested a guy from GA with the ID and Fake SS card of a man from CO who knew the guy had an account at Wells Fargo and was going around trying to get money from the guy's account at different WF locations (and successful at some). He told him that he got the information from a guy he talked to on an app.