Menu

I just got Well Ordered Language!!

3 ladybugs

I know it is a new program but I got it. :) Looks like it will be a good fit for us. It has a schedule for 4 days a week, 3 days a week or accelerated 5 days a week. The 5 day a week program will get you through a "year" in a semester. The songs are a nice touch. I can already tell I am going to learn something with this program! 

Anyway, if you were thinking about it and wanted to hear about it from another mom, let me know. I will start with my son on August 1st. 

• Like 2

The sample pages don't do it justice. The teachers book is thick! The student book is about half the teachers book. This is only for half the year too! Each lesson you do over the coarse of 2 weeks. So I think that gives time for children to really absorb it. There is also teaching and reteaching in those 2 weeks. So it is possible that some children may need to accelerate in some parts of this. In fact they say that. I also see how this could merge well with the reading requirement in AAR for some days. 

Can't wait to get started! I will report back when we have done a week. :)

• Like 3

They recommend that you watch the "Eight Essential Principles of Classical Pedagogy" found hereWe started watching the first 2 tonight and it was really enlightening. SO many things can be learned from it and it relates to everything, not just homeschool related. I recommend that you look at them if you are interested in any of this. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Just did our first week (4 days) and I am really liking this program! My son more or less knows the types of sentences (declarative, interrogative, imperative, exclamatory) and is well on his way for learning the types of words in a sentence (noun, verb, adjectives, adverbs, prepositions, pronouns, conjunctions, interjections). We still have another week of the first lesson too! So he should know it really well by then! 

I will report more next week!

Edited by 3 ladybugs
  • Like 3

Is this a secular program? Dd starts third grade this year and I'm still going back and forth on what to do for grammar.

They're a religious company, but I think they're making an effort to have make their products secular friendly. There was one of their books (I think Logic) where the 2nd edition had a lot less Christian content than the original. 

3 ladybugs thanks so much for keeping us updated on how you're finding this grammar programme. It's useful to have some real world opinions of such a new curriculum. 

We started it this week too. We are doing most of it orally and having a great time. We've only listened to the first two songs and my oldest really detests the parts of speech song. The singer's monotone voice makes her skin crawl apparently. She is currently sitting at the piano composing a new version for us.  Ha! Grammar and piano covered today!

• Like 4

We started it this week too. We are doing most of it orally and having a great time. We've only listened to the first two songs and my oldest really detests the parts of speech song. The singer's monotone voice makes her skin crawl apparently. She is currently sitting at the piano composing a new version for us. Ha! Grammar and piano covered today!

I wonder if they will sell that copy. Anything monotone sends my ds12 running for the hills.

Wonder if I could buy a copy of what they are doing for you? Could you ask them please ? :)

We need. :)

Thanks.

I am ordering this next week. So glad you made this post :)

We are doing well with the songs. No they are not even close to Mother Goose Time music, but they are good enough to learn what they are trying to learn. Making up your own song will do that too though!

Glad I am not the only one that started this this week. Did anyone else have issues with the Extra Practice CD? I ordered from RR and there were issues with the CD but CAP sent me the correct files free of charge. :)

I'm a little puzzled by the teachers manual. For example, I'm moving happily through the first chapter and the information I need is on the page that matches the workbook... Then I get to the section Analyze This and I have to flip to the end of the chapter to figure out what I'm supposed to be doing. When I get back to that section, I find tons of notes for all the sections. I do not want to be flipping back and forth at every page. It seems a strange(and somewhat inconvenient) arrangement. Has anyone else found it cumbersome?

Does WOL have diagramming?

I'm a little puzzled by the teachers manual. For example, I'm moving happily through the first chapter and the information I need is on the page that matches the workbook... Then I get to the section Analyze This and I have to flip to the end of the chapter to figure out what I'm supposed to be doing. When I get back to that section, I find tons of notes for all the sections. I do not want to be flipping back and forth at every page. It seems a strange(and somewhat inconvenient) arrangement. Has anyone else found it cumbersome?

Their Writing & Rhetoric TG is like that too.  I put tiny sticky tabs on the page we're on for the lesson and on the teacher notes in the back. I guess, it's to keep the sequence of the rest of the pages in the lesson synched up with the student workbook.

Does WOL have diagramming?

Their Writing & Rhetoric TG is like that too. I put tiny sticky tabs on the page we're on for the lesson and on the teacher notes in the back. I guess, it's to keep the sequence of the rest of the pages in the lesson synched up with the student workbook.

There is sentence analysis in the first books, but not diagramming. I tried to attach a picture of what that looks like that, but the photo was too large. The scope and sequence says there will be diagramming starting in year 2. You can see that here:

https://classicalacademicpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/WOL-Scope-Sequence.pdf

Edited by ZaraBellesMom
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

There is sentence analysis in the first books, but not diagramming. I tried to attach a picture of what that looks like that, but the photo was too large. The scope and sequence says there will be diagramming starting in year 2. You can see that here:

https://classicalacademicpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/WOL-Scope-Sequence.pdf

This is very helpful. I initially dismissed it, but now I may take a closer look for next year (third grade.). Eager to hear how you all like it.

How necessary is that teacher's manual that requires the dreaded flipping back and forth?

I personally wouldn't be able to do this program without the teachers manual. It provides additional instruction and ways to do review. There is also additional information in it for things that may not be written very clearly (age appropriate for the child, but not in a way that an adult would understand). 

However, if you were very creative and knew or remembered grammar and how it is used, you would probably be okay without it. I personally don't remember much grammar from school. My husband is a writer so he remembers it all. He could teach without the manual... I think. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We aren't using WOL but I was following the thread bc I was considering using it. For helping verbs, there's a song on Pinterest or you tube that is to the tune of jingle bells,starts with "helping verbs, helping verbs, there are 23..." That we used, and it was an easy way to remember them.

• 6 months later...

I know it is a new program but I got it. :) Looks like it will be a good fit for us. It has a schedule for 4 days a week, 3 days a week or accelerated 5 days a week. The 5 day a week program will get you through a "year" in a semester. The songs are a nice touch. I can already tell I am going to learn something with this program!

Anyway, if you were thinking about it and wanted to hear about it from another mom, let me know. I will start with my son on August 1st.

OLD THREAD but bumping for new information. How did everyone wind up liking Well Ordered Language? Was it thorough and engaging? Was it grade appropriate or too easy\too hard? Will anyone be continuing with the next level?

ETA: Good for both auditory and visual learners?

Edited by MyLife
  • Like 1

My DD (3rd grade aged 8) loves it! I was thinking it is a bit repetitious if a student "gets it" quickly but when we took some time off and returned, my DD needed to refresh her memory. That said, in the middle of a lesson it can get a bit repetitive—lots of similar review exercises over and over.

My DD really loves "marking up" the sentences, though! She enjoys figuring out the parts of speech like figuring out a puzzle. She actually looks forward to grammar and that's something! We will be going on to Level 2 although I will be switching it with First Language Lessons for variety.

Edited by chiefcookandbottlewasher
  • Like 1