Menu

Birthday gift or not?

xixstar

We just got two Kindle Fires for the kids. One child is having a birthday this week and I really want to give her the fire for her birthday. But I bought her sister one too because I didn't want to deal with fighting over one. Her birthday was one of the reasons we bought it but also the sale too.

I am torn. I thinking giving both children a gift on one child's birthday doesn't make sense. But I also hate to not have it as a gift option either.

My husband would say that I am over thinking this. Lol.

So give it as a birthday gift and also give one to her sister or just give it to them not in relation to a birthday?

I had also made up some elaborate idea to also giving the birthday child the option of giving one to her sister too. But while I am pretty sure she would - what if she didn't? That would be a disaster.

Edited by xixstar

6 and 4 year olds?  I don't think I would do that.  A birthday is supposed to be a bit special, and that specialness goes away when a sibling gets the same gift (even if there are other gifts).   I think I'd just separate the kindles from the birthday altogether.   Give the birthday girl her gifts, and in a few days/weeks give them both their kindles.  

I don't understand your second option - give the birthday girl both kindles and suggest she give one to  her sister?   I think that would seem very odd to a kid, and still takes away the specialness of her own birthday.

Maybe you are overthinking it, but I think it's appropriate for the circumstances. 

Just my opinion, based on my kids and kids I know, and how I think they would react. 

• Like 1

I'd save the other one for the other dd Christmas or birthday. I wouldn't give it to them just because, or give it as a bday present to one and "just because" to the other one.

We have 5 children. We encourage sharing. Can't have one for each of everything...

• Like 1

And there is extra drama that we didn't plan any kind of party/event this year because we have been traveling or hosting family for 3 weeks and I am tired. We usually have a small gathering of friends but that won't happen this year.

I agree that birthdays should be special. :)

Edited by xixstar

I would not. It doesn't really feel like a birthday present. I would probably give them the kindles and give the birthday girl a kindle gift card. Or just get her something else too. We aren't into huge presents so I'm not thinking more than $15. Just something extra.

• Like 1

We just got two Kindle Fires for the kids. One child is having a birthday this week and I really want to give her the fire for her birthday. But I bought her sister one too because I didn't want to deal with fighting over one. Her birthday was one of the reasons we bought it but also the sale too.

I am torn. I thinking giving both children a gift on one child's birthday doesn't make sense. But I also hate to not have it as a gift option either.

My husband would say that I am over thinking this. Lol.

So give it as a birthday gift and also give one to her sister or just give it to them not in relation to a birthday?

How far away is the sister's birthday?

I can say, I am glad 4 of my children have their birthdays in the same month! LOL...Christmas is happy for us, so we have babies in September.

I would *not* give it as a birthday gift to one and as a special surprise to the other.

Sometime after the birthday I would give them as a special surprise.

Why do you want to give it as a birthday gift? Do you need another idea? Is cost a factor? Is she expecting a Kindle?

• Like 1

We actually never do "just because" type gifts or such. My kids pretty much only get something new on their birthday and Christmas.

I almost only bought one for the birthday girl and considered waiting until December to get another. But decided to get both one becaus it would be easier to manage screen time with two.

We can just give it to them just because and get something else for the birthday girl. It's just soooo unusual for me to give them something for no reason (hopefully that doesn't make me an awful parent) that I am over thinking it.

• Like 1

We actually never do "just because" type gifts or such. My kids pretty much only get something new on their birthday and Christmas.

I almost only bought one for the birthday girl and considered waiting until December to get another. But decided to get both one becaus it would be easier to manage screen time with two.

We can just give it to them just because and get something else for the birthday girl. It's just soooo unusual for me to give them something for no reason (hopefully that doesn't make me an awful parent) that I am over thinking it.

It doesn't make you an awful parent.  But, if you don't give things "just because" then why are you considering giving one child a kindle "just because" on her sister's birthday?  

I liked the idea (WoolySocks?) to give them as a fall school item.   To me, that doesn't set a precedent as a "just because" gift.  Of course YMMV on that.

• Like 2

We don't do off the cuff gifts at our house either.  But have been over the top at times for back to school (once got a laptop) or more minor holidays (kid getting new bike at Easter) when it suits the parents needs.  It really hasn't set a precedent. 

• Like 1

I am liking the back to school gifts idea. Especially because I am hoping to start early this year because we are a little behind (another post I keep meaning to make for possible suggestions).

But I am also an instant gratification gal so it would be hard to wait a few more weeks. We will see.

Thanks for the great ideas!

• Like 1