Menu

ACT changes

I don't know if everyone here is aware of the changes to the ACT that were introduced quietly in th May 2016 prep guide. Applerouth describes them on his blog. https://www.applerouth.com/experts/

The changes are to the math and science sections. The math will be incorporating more advanced topics and the science section is going to require more scientific understanding and reading of the passages to analyze before answering the questions.

MATH

While the redesigned SAT narrows its focus and makes a pronounced move towards algebra (which now accounts for more than 60% of the test), the ACT appears to be moving in the opposite direction, expanding its scope to incorporate a broader variety of advanced topics. In the last few years, ACT math has been gradually integrating advanced concepts such as the expanded use of matrices (e.g., matrix multiplication), increased use of conic sections (e.g., working with ellipses and parabolic equations), understanding the domain of a function, vertical and horizontal asymptotes, monomial factors, and terminal sides and coterminal angles. The newest official ACT guide reveals a move further into the domain of advanced mathematics: integrating vectors, advanced probability, advanced sequences, permutations using factorial notation, and lines of best fit.

The range of content now covered by the ACT is approaching that found on the advanced SAT Math II subject test, though the distribution differs.

SCIENCE

The new practice tests reveal that the simpler “get-to-the-point†questions of yesteryear are falling by the wayside, replaced by more challenging, complex items. A greater proportion of questions require a deeper reading of the passages and understanding of the scientific context presented. Historically, some 70% of questions could be answered merely by using the figures and the graphs provided. Now, a majority of science items require a careful reading of the passage, making it much harder to skip the passage and jump to the questions, a strategy that, in the past, has helped students manage the time demands of the section. Students forced to read the entire passage along with the accompanying graphs, charts, and tables will find that the clock is not their friend.

• Like 9

"Now, a majority of science items require a careful reading of the passage, making it much harder to skip the passage and jump to the questions, a strategy that, in the past, has helped students manage the time demands of the section"

I hope that they cut the total number of science questions by a few to even this out.

• Like 3

There was at least one math question on the June exam with the new format. I think it was integrating vectors. The dc's were surprised.

Eta. See post 14 for corrections. I didn't have a kid available when posting but wanted people to know that there were new types of questions on June exam. I thought they were complaining about vectors not being in review material in the car but dd says I messed up. Her comments in post 14.

Edited by mumto2

There was at least one math question on the June exam with the new format. I think it was integrating vectors. The dc's were surprised.

I wonder if that was part of the reason my daughter's math score didn't change from last year to this year despite having finished algebra 2? Reminds me that I need to send for the expanded test results to see exactly what happened.

• Like 1

That's a Calculus topic??

Precalc level vectors are fine.  I just covered that with DS this summer.

DD said there were matrices on her June ACT, which surprised her. She also said the science was quite a bit harder than on the released tests-and this is a kid who reads professional journals and has attended professional conferences in both biology and chemistry in the last year for fun.

• Like 1

Well that's interesting.  I had been assuming that the SAT would be a slightly better fit for my kids due to ACT being even more tightly-timed.  It sounds like more-advanced students should do better on the ACT than less-advanced students.

What bugs me about changes like this is that it makes scores from earlier versions not so comparable though I suppose all that really matters is admissions comparing apples to apples.

(I feel a little sick every time I think about SAT/ACT and whether the tight timing will impact my kids' scores.)

Edited by wapiti
  • Like 2

Do you have any idea when the change happen? Older took the Oct 2015 while younger took the June 2016 so curious when the changes happen.

DD said there were matrices on her June ACT, which surprised her.

Matric has been randomly in the ACT. It is included in the topics for ACT though. Trigonometry is another random topic as in you never know how many questions there will be.

"2. Intermediate Algebra/Coordinate Geometry

Intermediate Algebra (15-20%)

The quadratic formula

Rational and radical expressions

Absolute value equations and inequalities

Sequences and patterns

Systems of equations

Quadratic inequalities

Functions and modeling

Matrices

Roots of polynomials

Complex numbers"

http://blog.prepscholar.com/whats-tested-on-act-math-concepts-subjects-and-skills

(I feel a little sick every time I think about SAT/ACT and whether the tight timing will impact my kids' scores.)

:grouphug:

I didn't expect my slow speed reader (DS10) who took the ACT for talent search to hit 30 for english. He was getting scores of under 20 when doing Princeton and Barrons test prep.

Hubby and I just cross fingers for him. It does feel unfair considering how easy my older has it.

• Like 1

Well that's interesting. I had been assuming that the SAT would be a slightly better fit for my kids due to ACT being even more tightly-timed. It sounds like more-advanced students should do better on the ACT than less-advanced students.

What bugs me about changes like this is that it makes scores from earlier versions not so comparable though I suppose all that really matters is admissions comparing apples to apples.

The reading speed required for the ACT has never been my kids' friend. They do much better on the SAT, old and new.

• Like 2

The changes are being constantly integrated. I get their emails and they say that it is a good thing that they aren't doing a full scale change like the SAT but are just slowly rolling out the changes.

It does make it challenging to use old tests to prepare because you may be lacking a question or five in each section (depending on how old your practice ACTs are) that are on the new versions. 

Don't forget the extra section on each test (if you aren't doing the writing section) that is experimental. That's where they are adding these questions and changing the format to see how it goes over.

I was wrong about vectors. Just talked to dd about what she remembers.

Matrices were somewhat expected because part of the Barrons review.

Not in review material she used:

There was a geometric proof that was unexpected but not hard.

Dilations and coordinate geometry. Had to do with finding the scale factor.

Since people are wondering about prep books for the new ACT I thought I would post this review. http://www.test-study-guides.com/best-act-books/

In general I think checking a couple of review books out of the library and running some timed exams at home where you concentrate on why an answer was wrong will improve your child's scores dramatically. We used Barron's, which dc's say is much harder than actual and Real ACT books. Good results but ds is still looking for one more question right to up his composite. Probably going to try one more time.

We have used up all the practice tests we have access to so I need to buy something. Looking at the review I found Tutor Ted, Kaplan Premier, and McGraw Hill Cross Platform appear to be my best options because they might contain some of the new material. Unfortunately I think the new Real ACT is just a reprint.