Menu

We need IP recipes!

Slache

I will share a flop.  I got a bit bold and cooked corn on the cob without bothering to look up for how long.  4 minutes on high pressure resulted in burnt corn.  Should be on lower pressure!

I was able to cut some of the corn off and use it in a stir fry, but yeah don't cook corn on the cob for 4 minutes on high pressure. 

I took my Instant Pot on vacation last week to Colorado.

I cooked:

*boiled eggs (6 minutes manual and 6 minutes warm)

*a whole chicken for shredded chicken enchiladas ( whole chicken rinsed, minced onion, garlic and poultry seasoning, 2 cups water and 25 minutes on meat setting) let cool to touch then de-bone and shred meat.  Use HATCH green enchilada sauce mixed with 1/2 cup of sour cream and sometimes a touch of chicken soup base.  I use corn/wheat blend tortillas.  Add 1TBS shredded cheese to each tortilla and 2TBS or so of shredded chicken then roll. Cover with sauce, top with additional cheese then back until bubbly (about 20 minutes at 350F).  We used extra shredded chicken for salad toppings and sandwiches.

*carnitas (pulled pork sandwiches) 3 pounds carnitas (pork shoulder trimmings) 1/2 cup BBQ sauce, minced onions and garlic and 2 cups water for 55 minutes on meat setting).  Let pressure drop naturally then drain, shred and add more BBQ sauce to taste.  We ate on hamburger buns-- DH had his on nachos!

* baby gold potatoes (poke potatoes with knife or fork so they will not split/explode add 1 cup water or broth then 12 minutes on manual, drain and season to taste)

*beans for 'beans and cornbread'-- 2 packages of Anasazi beans (pre-soak in boiling water for 30 minutes then drain/rinse) water or broth to cover plus 2 inches, 4 slices of bacon (I used pre-cooked), 1-2 TBS minced onion and garlic (or about 1/2 cup fresh onion and 2 cloves garlic),  choice of spices (I used about 2 TBS chili powder, 1 TBS of cumin and 1TBS of Oregano).  Cook for 13 minutes on manual then let pressure come down naturally.  Add salt or additional seasoning to taste.

Yesterday I boiled more eggs (breakfast/snacks/salad toppings) and steamed larger potatoes (about 15 minutes)-- I liked the smaller gold ones better...

• Like 2

I will share a flop. I got a bit bold and cooked corn on the cob without bothering to look up for how long. 4 minutes on high pressure resulted in burnt corn. Should be on lower pressure!

I was able to cut some of the corn off and use it in a stir fry, but yeah don't cook corn on the cob for 4 minutes on high pressure.

Did you put water in the bottom and put it on the rack? I've done corn that way and had much success and I feel like it was for about that amount of time.

I did a whole chicken last night. I seasoned the outside with my preferred seasonings (salt, pepper, garlic, a little thyme and paprika), put a cup or so liquid in the bottom of the pot, put the rack in, put my chicken and did manual for 25 minutes.

After that I deboned it and we just had fresh roasted chicken with sautéed garlic asparagus and baked potatoes.

I added the bones back into the instant pot (rack removed), added water, salt, celery stalks and a bell pepper chunk, turned it to slow cook and set it for 16 hours. It has 4 hours left to go on the bone broth at which point I'll probably turn it to keep warm and let it sit until this evening when I will strain it and add lots of veggies and make some sort of soup.

ETA: The chicken was a local, grass-fed, organic bird. I don't do bone broth with commercially raised birds. I just figured I'd mention that.

Edited by StaceyinLA
  • Like 1

I took my Instant Pot on vacation last week to Colorado.

I cooked:

*boiled eggs (6 minutes manual and 6 minutes warm)

*a whole chicken for shredded chicken enchiladas ( whole chicken rinsed, minced onion, garlic and poultry seasoning, 2 cups water and 25 minutes on meat setting) let cool to touch then de-bone and shred meat. Use HATCH green enchilada sauce mixed with 1/2 cup of sour cream and sometimes a touch of chicken soup base. I use corn/wheat blend tortillas. Add 1TBS shredded cheese to each tortilla and 2TBS or so of shredded chicken then roll. Cover with sauce, top with additional cheese then back until bubbly (about 20 minutes at 350F). We used extra shredded chicken for salad toppings and sandwiches.

*carnitas (pulled pork sandwiches) 3 pounds carnitas (pork shoulder trimmings) 1/2 cup BBQ sauce, minced onions and garlic and 2 cups water for 55 minutes on meat setting). Let pressure drop naturally then drain, shred and add more BBQ sauce to taste. We ate on hamburger buns-- DH had his on nachos!

* baby gold potatoes (poke potatoes with knife or fork so they will not split/explode add 1 cup water or broth then 12 minutes on manual, drain and season to taste)

*beans for 'beans and cornbread'-- 2 packages of Anasazi beans (pre-soak in boiling water for 30 minutes then drain/rinse) water or broth to cover plus 2 inches, 4 slices of bacon (I used pre-cooked), 1-2 TBS minced onion and garlic (or about 1/2 cup fresh onion and 2 cloves garlic), choice of spices (I used about 2 TBS chili powder, 1 TBS of cumin and 1TBS of Oregano). Cook for 13 minutes on manual then let pressure come down naturally. Add salt or additional seasoning to taste.

Yesterday I boiled more eggs (breakfast/snacks/salad toppings) and steamed larger potatoes (about 15 minutes)-- I liked the smaller gold ones better...

It is AMAZING how well eggs peel after cooking in the Instant Pot! Do you put them on the rack with water underneath? I think I do mine for 4 minutes on manual, and the peelings all but fall off!

Also, those small Yukon golds are awesome; that's what we had last night. I do several recipes similar to yours here and I swear by the Instant Pot if only for those things!

I have a few good pressure cooker recipes from Lorna Sass, but I've never cooked with an IP....so will have to try them and see if any tweaking is necessary. :)

One of our favorites in the winter time is lamb shanks with white cannelini beans.  You can also use cubes of beef if you don't like lamb. 

• Like 1

My fave recipe (and it's in the other thread so probably unnecessary to post here).

4 frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts (sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic, bit of cumin)

1 jar salsa (TJ's basic salsa autentica is my preference)

1/4 c water (I put it in the salsa jar, and shake it up to get the last bits of salsa with it)

1 bunch cilantro leaves, chopped (actually I wash it then cut it directly into the instant pot with scissors)

Manual for 35 minutes, let sit 15-20 then open and shred. Use for tacos, burritos, salads, putting in sweet potato, etc.

I said in the other thread and I still say, if I used my Instant Pot for nothing else, this would make it worth the money for me. I make a batch of this at least once/week.

This recipe could most certainly be adapted to making shredded bbq chicken for sandwiches as well. I'd season the breasts (no cumin though), put maybe 1-1 1/2 c of bbq sauce, a little water, a little slab of butter, cook the same amount of time. BBQ is also great stuck in a sweet potato if you're not wanting a lot of carbs. We put everything in sweet potatoes!

• Like 1

How well does it do rice?  We have a dedicated rice cooker but I wouldn't mind putting it in the loft if the Instant Pot is good.  I am looking at this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Instant-Pot-Electric-Pressure-Stainless/dp/B00OP26T4K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468429599&sr=8-1&keywords=instant+pot

We are a bit picky about rice: it needs to be fluffy with separate grains but enough adhesion to eat with chopsticks.