Menu

Escape the Room

JustEm

Has anyone done an Escape the Room before? We did one today for dh's bday and had so much fun. For those who don't know what they are here is a summary. You get locked into a room, usually themed(ours was spy themed,) and have an hour to find the key that unlocks the door. There are clues, lock boxes, and puzzles to solve to find the key.

We went in a group of 9 and escaped with ten minutes left. The other themes at the place we went to are da Vinci Code and Harry Potter. They are working on a Star Wars room and Walking Dead room.

Dh and I enjoyed it so much we are planning to do our own in our house for friends. Not too much of a stretch from the murder mysteries we've hosted.

• Like 4

I haven't done one of these yet but they sound great. One just opened not too far from us, maybe I can convince my family to try it out this summer.

After all, we love murder mystery parties. Both of my kids did these for their birthdays this year (well, neither was a murder but still they were mysteries, with characters and costumes).

Several parents asked about doing one for grown ups and I would like to do that. Where did you get the ones that you've done? Are there any you would recommend? Did you write your own?

Thanks!

My dh writes his own. We've done many murder mysteries that either he has run, my brother has run, or a close friend. But all of them write their own so I can't recommend any purchased ones. We do have one sitting in our game closet waiting to be played though.

There's a homeschooling family here that turns their school room into a room escape game in the summer. I think this is their second year doing it. My DH, DD#1, and FIL did it recently and had a great time. (I opted not to go because I have allergies and the family has dogs, but I was so disappointed!)

That one was Disney themed and appropriate for kids. There's a place that does them more geared toward adults, but it's pretty expensive. I'd like to try it at some point, though.

• Like 1

We did one tonight. It was so much fun, a great date night out with friends. There was a secret door that popped open after we entered a code. Not one of us noticed the hidden door even after 25 or so minutes in the room.

• Like 1

There's a homeschooling family here that turns their school room into a room escape game in the summer. I think this is their second year doing it. My DH, DD#1, and FIL did it recently and had a great time. (I opted not to go because I have allergies and the family has dogs, but I was so disappointed!)

That one was Disney themed and appropriate for kids. There's a place that does them more geared toward adults, but it's pretty expensive. I'd like to try it at some point, though.

See if there is a Groupon, the one in our area has Groupns occasionally.
  • Like 1

We did one last week for the first time.  They're set for 8, but our family of 5 ended up being by ourselves.  It was so much fun!  My 18yods really didn't want to go.  When we left the house, he looked as though he were headed to a funeral!  But, we were going to celebrate his sister's birthday, so we made him go.  Well, he had a blast!  He loved it.  My dh, too, was surprised that we had so much fun.  The girls weren't surprised.  We knew it would be fun.  :)  

In ours, we were investigative reporters, and our co-reporter had disappeared just before releasing his evidence that there was a link between the JFK assassination and Watergate!  (cue music: duh-duh-DUH!!)  We only had an hour to compile all the evidence and find his final report (along with the key to the door).  We solved it with just over a minute to spare!  Hooray!

I definitely recommend it as a fun family activity.

I'm doing one for the first time ina few weeks... does anyone have any helpful general tips?

Tips?  Fan out, and do all your thinking out loud so everyone knows what the others are seeing.  Oh, and there are lots of different kinds of locks (not just numeric).  Some work by color, some by magnetic proximity, some by gravity.  If you've never done it before, and you have an iPad or similar, download any of many Escape games and play them before you go.  That will give you an idea of what to look for.  It's not necessary, but it might be helpful.  

• Like 2

Suzanne, can you share the names of escape games for iPads?

Let's see.  

We've done one called "Can You Escape", by Kaarel Kirsipuu

Another is "Diamond Penthouse: Escape" by TeraLumina Games

Or, "Escape Challenge" by Kristjan Luts

My dd did "Doors&Rooms" (all one word), by gameday Inc.

I'm not saying these are the best; they're just some we've done, and I think they're all free.

If you go to the App store, and search for "Escape" or "Escape Games" or "Escape the Room", you'll find dozens of options.  

Have fun!

• Like 4

Dh and I are so excited about the idea of doing one in our house. It will be adult themed but all the current ones at the place we went were kid friendly. I imagine the Walking Dead one they're working on will be fine for some kids and not for others.

I would love to see one written to recreate at home.

We have done two. One Escape the Room and one called Code Escape.

They actually sell kits for that. I haven't seen the contents just saw it while at the game store Marbles. It is what gave us the idea to just make our own

Let's see.

We've done one called "Can You Escape", by Kaarel Kirsipuu

Another is "Diamond Penthouse: Escape" by TeraLumina Games

Or, "Escape Challenge" by Kristjan Luts

My dd did "Doors&Rooms" (all one word), by gameday Inc.

I'm not saying these are the best; they're just some we've done, and I think they're all free.

If you go to the App store, and search for "Escape" or "Escape Games" or "Escape the Room", you'll find dozens of options.

Have fun!

Thank you for these suggestions! DH and I enjoy puzzle games.

There's also The Room and its sequels; they're all very good.

We played a game called Safecracker (via Steam on a laptop) and enjoyed it a lot after The Room 3.

We haven't tried one of those Escape the Room parties, but I would love to try one!

• Like 2

that sounds like fun! I like the spy theme (not a fan of the others) and can totally see this.

but, it was your dh's birthday?  was he the only one in the room or was the entire group in the room?  did the person who hid the key stay out or in? 

I made one of these for my algebra 2 class. They had to factor polynomials, multiply matrices, and graph exponential functions on semi-log paper to get the clues. Each set of clues was in a locked suitcase, and clue allowed them to get the combination for the next lock. It was a lot of fun. I made a story up about a plane crash with bank robbers.

• Like 5

that sounds like fun! I like the spy theme (not a fan of the others) and can totally see this.

but, it was your dh's birthday? was he the only one in the room or was the entire group in the room? did the person who hid the key stay out or in?

This one was not at our house. A group of 9 of us went to a business that runs them. It cost $15 per person because we had a Groupon. I think 20 without the Groupon. We were all locked in the room. There were camera and microphones so the people who worked there could monitor us and give clues if they thought we needed one.

We are working on putting one on in our house for a friend's bday coming in September

• Like 1

We have done several and enjoyed most of them.

Tips:  If there is a whiteboard or chalkboard, or paper, write stuff you think is important down.

Always try something twice or three times.  For instance, a lock......I can't tell you how many times somebody has tried a code or a key to open something......then the second person using the same code or key was successful.

• Like 2

This one was not at our house. A group of 9 of us went to a business that runs them. It cost $15 per person because we had a Groupon. I think 20 without the Groupon. We were all locked in the room. There were camera and microphones so the people who worked there could monitor us and give clues if they thought we needed one.

We are working on putting one on in our house for a friend's bday coming in September

ok, thanks for that...I had never heard of them before.   sounds fun

Dh and I went thriving today at Goodwill and a local thrift store in hopes of finding things with secret compartments. We found a crucifix that has a compartment behind Jesus, and a digital photo frame that can slide to reveal a hidden area. We also found a neat jewelry box that locks.the last thing we found is some kind of platter that has these tiles that come out but not easily. 4 great pieces for $10.

• Like 2