Menu

Anyone here own a reasonably priced espresso maker they love?

StaceyinLA

I spent a week at my niece's and my nephew has a fabulous machine that grinds beans, does espresso, froths milk, etc. It made me realize how much I miss having really good coffee.

I bought a DeLonghi today and am trying to use it and I'm either totally incompetent, or it's just a joke. Granted it was only the $100 model, but it had decent reviews. The milk frother arm isn't long enough to go down into a frothing pitcher, so I have no clue how I'll actually froth the milk. Maybe I'm missing something, but I've read the instructions repeatedly, and watched a YouTube video as well.

I'm just so darn frustrated.

Ok, a few thoughts.

A $100 machine will not do the trick for fabulous espresso.  It will make mediocre espresso at best.  

Now, that isn't necessarily a bad thing overall, but if you want fabulous, you do need to spend more.

You can read all about espresso machines at CoffeeGeek.com.

Second thought:  You really need an expensive grinder to make espresso.  Many say the grinder is more important than the machine itself.  A blade grinder will not do the trick.  A Burr grinder, low end, still won't do it, but it is a step up from a blade grinder.

Third thought:  Do you have a tamper?  If you don't, it won't filter the water through evenly.

Forth thought:  The frothing pitcher may be too deep.  I sometimes even froth directly into a cup and then pour the espresso in when I am finished.  It works well.

Fifth thought:  I personally would be looking for a used machine that is better quality.  A Gaggia Baby is the "lowest end" I would bother with to make real espresso.  But then you need a decent grinder as well.

Sixth thought:  What beans are you using?  That can make a difference as well.  

When I bought my first espresso machine, I spent HOURS pouring over CoffeeGeek.com.  Not sure if you want to do that or not.

I can tell you that there are very few good espresso machines you can buy over the counter.   Target won't have them for example. 

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1

Another thought:

It sounds like they had a super automatic machine.  Many people love them because it takes the guess work out of the picture.

You might look for a used one of those.  It might be more of what will suit your needs.

Sorry, I am a bit scattered in my thoughts tonight.  I am exhausted.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input. This machine actually had pretty good reviews as a budget machine (I've been perusing those coffee sites). I was planning to get a decent grinder (actually there's a Bodum burr grinder that gets good reviews that's also around $100), but I ground these into espresso grind at Trader Joe's today. I wanted to see what the machine would do before I bought a grinder, since what I'd really like is an automatic machine that grinds then brews. I just don't know if I want to spend that money at the moment, so I was looking for a reasonably priced alternative.

I know I'm not gonna get top notch stuff for this money, but I'd like it to at least do the work, whether or not it tastes as perfect as it could.

They actually have a Mr. Coffee on a lot of the coffee sites as one that does a decent job for a beginner.

I'm generally a cold pressed coffee drinker, but I just realized being at their house that I really miss good coffee.

The other thing I considered was a coffee maker with built-in grinder, and Cuisenart has one that gets good reviews. I just enjoyed the espressos and cappucinos so much I decided to go that route. It looks like I'm gonna have to find a used or refurbished and cough up some cash. ;-p

• Like 1

Lower end espresso machines are NOT worth it for what they produce! Better off buying a nice coffee maker of your style preference and saving your pennies for a solid grinder and machine. I wouldn't touch anything sub $1000, because I know I wouldn't be happy with the results and it is a waste of money. Two exceptions to that may be a Breville Barista Express and a Rancilio Silvia.

Please read through the reviews here on Seattle Coffee Gear. They do excellent video reviews as well as user feedback and have refurbished machines I'd actually trust:

https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/espresso-machines

I personally prefer semi automatic machines and manual/lever machines, but a super automatic is a better fit for someone who doesn't want to tinker overly much with their drinks.

Thanks for the input. This machine actually had pretty good reviews as a budget machine (I've been perusing those coffee sites). I was planning to get a decent grinder (actually there's a Bodum burr grinder that gets good reviews that's also around $100), but I ground these into espresso grind at Trader Joe's today. I wanted to see what the machine would do before I bought a grinder, since what I'd really like is an automatic machine that grinds then brews. I just don't know if I want to spend that money at the moment, so I was looking for a reasonably priced alternative.

I know I'm not gonna get top notch stuff for this money, but I'd like it to at least do the work, whether or not it tastes as perfect as it could.

They actually have a Mr. Coffee on a lot of the coffee sites as one that does a decent job for a beginner.

I'm generally a cold pressed coffee drinker, but I just realized being at their house that I really miss good coffee.

The other thing I considered was a coffee maker with built-in grinder, and Cuisenart has one that gets good reviews. I just enjoyed the espressos and cappucinos so much I decided to go that route. It looks like I'm gonna have to find a used or refurbished and cough up some cash. ;-p

I can tell you that right now I don't have the highest end set up.  I am slowly getting more.

I found an Francis! Francis! machine for $75.  It was originally over $600.  The people listed it on CL as "new, sat on the shelf for years, but is now non-working."  Well, I researched and found out that if you let them sit a while, they won't pump water through until you prime them.  So, I talked them down to $45, brought it home, primed it, and VOILA!  I got a basically completely new machine for $45.

My water was running through too fast until I bought a tamper.  

My grinder is still not a high enough end.  It is old, won't die, and I have had a hard time spending the $$, but I am getting closer.  I have a Starbucks Burr Barista grinder that is made by Solis.  It is the lowest end you should ever even consider for a decent grinder, but it is still not great.

Frothing has taken some practice, but one thing I forgot to mention before:  Once your machine gets hot enough to froth, it is best to put it on "hot water" setting and not "steam" and prime it first, let some hot water come out and THEN set it to steam and steam your milk.  That helps.

Lower end espresso machines are NOT worth it for what they produce! Better off buying a nice coffee maker of your style preference and saving your pennies for a solid grinder and machine. I wouldn't touch anything sub $1000, because I know I wouldn't be happy with the results and it is a waste of money. Two exceptions to that may be a Breville Barista Express and a Rancilio Silvia.

Please read through the reviews here on Seattle Coffee Gear. They do excellent video reviews as well as user feedback and have refurbished machines I'd actually trust:

I personally prefer semi automatic machines and manual/lever machines, but a super automatic is a better fit for someone who doesn't want to tinker overly much with their drinks.

Ah, Gail.  Yes, she does some great reviews, although she didn't really like my machine too much.  I still like it.  It was the most I could afford at the time.  

I totally get it. I actually just make good coffee because it was easier to get a great manual burr grinder (orphan espresso first gen Lido) and a pour over cone and insulated press pot I love than afford any of the espresso machines I wanted. It took me a lot of time and research but waiting and drinking great coffee while buying my espresso elsewhere was the right choice. Everyone has a different level they tolerate and you got a screaming deal on your machine. If it's a good fit then it doesn't matter what any expert says and on the other side, if you hate a machine everyone else loves it's the same thing - no accounting for individual tastes.

Liking all of Dawn's thoughts. Ditto to them all.

We had a refurbished Jura super automatic that lasted 8 years. Not a budget machine, even refurbished, but well worth it if you love amazing espresso.

We've recently switched to a Gaggia machine, based on endless reviews and YouTube videos. We've only had it a week, but it's pretty fantastic. It is a super automatic as well, because I want ease, but it's also very easy to fiddle with drinks, and customize.

I can't help with budget options, but definitely check out refurbed machines. They can be very good!

Well that Breville looks fabulous, and the price isn't over-the-top; just not really wanting to spend it right now. The Jura is what my nephew has, and yes, AMAZING espresso and cappucinos. Of course, we brought a fabulous coffee to use in it so that didn't hurt. ;-p

I actually wonder if I should just get a Nespresso Inissia for now (because I have NO machine at all; only a French press), and just start saving...

• Like 1

Just remember Stacey - you will be way happier with even a cheap machine if you have a good grinder. That's where to spend money and not skimp.

I can personally attest to the quality of these grinders and the customer service. They are absolutely phenomenal for a bargain price. For espresso, the Pharos is what you want:

http://www.oehandgrinders.com/OE-Manual-Coffee-Grinders_c_1.html

Ok, a few thoughts.

A $100 machine will not do the trick for fabulous espresso. It will make mediocre espresso at best.

Now, that isn't necessarily a bad thing overall, but if you want fabulous, you do need to spend more.

You can read all about espresso machines at CoffeeGeek.com.

Second thought: You really need an expensive grinder to make espresso. Many say the grinder is more important than the machine itself. A blade grinder will not do the trick. A Burr grinder, low end, still won't do it, but it is a step up from a blade grinder.

Third thought: Do you have a tamper? If you don't, it won't filter the water through evenly.

Forth thought: The frothing pitcher may be too deep. I sometimes even froth directly into a cup and then pour the espresso in when I am finished. It works well.

Fifth thought: I personally would be looking for a used machine that is better quality. A Gaggia Baby is the "lowest end" I would bother with to make real espresso. But then you need a decent grinder as well.

Sixth thought: What beans are you using? That can make a difference as well.

When I bought my first espresso machine, I spent HOURS pouring over CoffeeGeek.com. Not sure if you want to do that or not.

I can tell you that there are very few good espresso machines you can buy over the counter. Target won't have them for example.

Dawn, I'm not totally convinced you know what you're talking about. I need to come over and sample your brew before I make my mind up. :) just kidding! You're a coffee rockstar!

• Like 2

Just remember Stacey - you will be way happier with even a cheap machine if you have a good grinder. That's where to spend money and not skimp.

I can personally attest to the quality of these grinders and the customer service. They are absolutely phenomenal for a bargain price. For espresso, the Pharos is what you want:

http://www.oehandgrinders.com/OE-Manual-Coffee-Grinders_c_1.html

Thanks for the link! If I wind up with a superautomatic, it'll have a built-in grinder. I'm just assuming if the machine gets good reviews and is higher end, the grinder in it will be sufficient.

We have ended up with a portmanteau of machines.  We have a good burr grinder (Dualit), a series of Moka pots (for different numbers of people), and a hand-held electric frother (we warm the milk in the microwave before using it).  We are very happy with the solution.

• Like 2

We have ended up with a portmanteau of machines. We have a good burr grinder (Dualit), a series of Moka pots (for different numbers of people), and a hand-held electric frother (we warm the milk in the microwave before using it). We are very happy with the solution.

That's pretty much the situation I have as well. Since I didn't have the budget for the dream I have a collection of bits that helps me make amazing coffee within my budget and style preferences. Some day I'll get that Londinium lever machine, though!

Edited by Arctic Mama

We had an older Gran Gaggia for close to a decade that we loved. We got it on eBay for less than a hundred (no idea if an older one would still be a similar price). The downside was my husband had to really give it TLC to keep it running correctly. We paired it with a burr grinder that was around $100 and it made pretty great espresso drinks. When the Gaggia finally bit the dust and was actually beyond repair, we were fortunate to have received a large Christmas gift that a family member insisted we use for a "splurge" and we bought a Silvano that was more in the $1000 range. I don't know that it is ten times better based on price paid for each machine, but it is much faster and requires much less repair.

When the grinder broke down a year or so ago, we replaced it with a much more expensive Vario grinder DH chose after reading many reviews. I've actually been disappointed in some ways. I thought we would be able to switch effortlessly between different grind settings, but the reality is that if we change it to make a pour over, it takes several shots to get back in just the right setting for espresso. It's easier just to keep it on our espresso setting and use a simpler grinder for pour overs.

On the cheap, but it makes a nice cup: aero press using cafe bustelo Cuban coffee. I drink my coffee americano style.

Well I was thinking about whether I really need an espresso maker because I tend to do Americana or cappucino. I actually thought about just doing a coffee pot with a grinder (apparently the Cuisenart has good reviews). I've been using a French press for a while, and I do my cold coffee in the fridge. I definitely go through coffee phases though, and I'm kinda over my cold phase right now (which surprises me because of how steaming HOT it is outside).

Anyway, how do you do yours in the aeropress? How fine of a grind, and how much coffee/water? I've researched that, but not quite sure how it works. Isn't it similar to a French press?

On the cheap, but it makes a nice cup: aero press using cafe bustelo Cuban coffee. I drink my coffee americano style.

I love Americanos. I will have to try this.

Signed, the woman reading the thread who has no space or funds for espresso machines but went down the rabbit hole of $$$ machine research thanks to this thread. :rofl: We have a cheap burr grinder (some Costco deal, ha) which has made a huge difference and a Technivorm Moccamaster for regular coffee that comes with us on vacation. 

• Like 1

We have ended up with a portmanteau of machines.  We have a good burr grinder (Dualit), a series of Moka pots (for different numbers of people), and a hand-held electric frother (we warm the milk in the microwave before using it).  We are very happy with the solution.

I do this, too. I've tried various stove-top espresso makers over the years, and the one from IKEA is lasting the longest. It only cost $16. 

I don't bother grinding my own coffee. I just have them grind at the store and put the coffee in the fridge. I also don't bother frothing anymore, I just warm the milk in the microwave. 

I love the simplicity of the stove-top espresso maker. It doesn't take up any space on the counter, it's very affordable, and the preparation and clean up is easy.

• Like 1

Another option: we travel with a handpresso. It's not bad.

FWIW, I like the Cuisinart Grind n Brew for coffee. I think that's the name? It's in the $150 range, I think? Makes a good pot of coffee. We keep one as our back up in the tragic event that the espresso machine needs repair. :)

It really depends on what you want.  If you want true espresso, you need at least 15 bars of pressure.  Stove top models really just make strong coffee.  Many times that is enough for people.  

I am not knocking it, if that is what you want, and are satisfied with it, then that is enough.  

But if you want true espresso, like the kind you had at your niece and nephew's, then you need an actual espresso machine.

This: http://gatheringgroundscafe.com/why-stovetop-espresso-is-not-the-same-as-true-espresso/  explains it a bit better.

The same is true with the milk.  If you want a true latte, you need to steam the milk, not just froth it.  But again, if that is satisfying to you, I am not knocking it, just pointing out the differences.

• Like 1

Of course, if you are a true coffee/espresso snob, you will buy your beans from Sweet Maria's and roast them yourself.

I haven't done that yet.

But true snobs think that any coffee roasted over a week or two is "old."  That includes ALL beans you buy in the stores, even at coffee shops.

I think once my current coffee bean supply is gone, I will be ordering and roasting.  That is my next goal.

I have the Barista Express and love it. The only nuisance is that it is messy. I usually end up with ground coffee everywhere. Also, the single shot seems awfully tiny so I always use a double shot for my lattes. It's more like 1.5 shots really.

I decided the best option is just to go to a nice coffee shop and buy a shot. 

Preferably in Italy, while strolling to your morning sight seeing.  

Nothing home made seems close, unless you're willing to spend big money & dedicate big counter space. Honestly, I'd rather put the money aside for a plane ticket to Italy. 

The Moka pots keep tempting me - -but they also scare me.  

• Like 1

I am definitely torn. I guess the bottom line is I don't really like espresso; I like espresso drinks (lattes, cappucinos). I also like really good coffee with a little sugar and whipping cream. I also like my cold coffee with a little honey and homemade almond milk, though I'm a bit burned out on the initial work involved.

I like the grinder/coffee idea because I do love the idea of fresh roasted beans, ground right before my cup is brewed (same reason I like the superautomatic espresso machines). Of course, when I look at the Nespresso machines, I like the idea of that as well. My cousin has one of those and it makes a pretty darn good cappucino.

What the heck? I seriously need help.