Menu

Medical question: respiratory infection

Ellie

Did the doctor get a culture/swab test?  It would be helpful to know what bug she's dealing with, as the current antibiotic may not be the one she needs.  The antibiotic may not be strong enough, or it may not even be a good one to use based on whatever she may have.  The other thing is, she may not have a bacterial infection, it may be viral, in which case the antibiotic won't help; HOWEVER, with my dc, they often get a secondary bacterial infection with a viral infection, so it's best to have your bases covered.

• Like 2

I'd say usually you start to feel at least a little better in 48 hours, though my daughter has had some stubborn bugs that take a little longer.  If you are seeing absolutely no change at all, then I'd probably call the nurse in the morning to see if they want to change antibiotics.

Another thing came to mind - double check with your doctor that the prescription was filled correctly. I.e. are the mg/ mL of the solution correct, and is the dosing correct. Also, are you managing symptoms with ibuprofen and/or acetaminophen too. I've always found ibuprofen to be better because it is anti-inflammatory, and helps to calm down all tissues. The antibiotic Zithromax or Azithromycin is also anti-inflammatory and is the five day regiment. I usually ask for that for myself and my kids first. If you don't feel good after 5 days, then you know you need a heavier hitter such as cefdinir or Omnicef.

Edited by Caviar

is she feeling any better at all?

even when I've been my sickest (kidney infections/pneumonia), I usually start to feel better within a couple days max.  (not recovered, just starting to feel better.)

I'd call, and give what antibiotic and doseage (some antibiotics are prescribed in different strengths/as well as duration/xs per day etc.) she was given, what her symptoms were when it was prescribed and exactly what her symptoms are now.  It's quite possible  she needs something stronger.

or it might simply be a viral respiratory infection, in which case, antibiotics won't do squat.

Edited by gardenmom5