Menu

Vaccine reaction reporting

Carrie12345

What do you consider worthy of calling the doctor to report?

I got my TDaP booster about a week ago, and I didn't nearly die or anything, but it sure SEEMS like it's been worse than the CDC information print out.  It hurt to lift my arm for 2 days, but that didn't seem too outrageous.  I wasn't able to sleep on that side for an additional couple of days and that really started to get to me.  But then I was able to sleep on my side as long as I stayed off that specific spot, which continued to be sensitive to the touch.  And now, a week later, it feels just fine, but still has a big bump.

All of this seems more than normally expected, but not earth shattering.  So, do I call to go on record, or just consider myself an outlier and move on?

It's useful to report adverse events so the CDC can properly track them, and make adjustments to the data sheets if needed.  They like more information rather than less.  Report the reaction here: 

https://vaers.hhs.gov/index

It also helps other people to potentially plan vaccinations.  If I know a particular shot has a lot of reports of related fatigue, that will impact when I choose to get it.  Similarly, for kid vaccines, I can schedule apts for times of day to minimize the likely (but minor) adverse effects.  

Sorry it was uncomfortable though. My parents always have a lot of pain associated with TDAP.

We took ds in after a Hib that was swollen so much he could not move his arm. It was red/purple, hard and HOT. The Dr office said it was a normal reaction. No report. We were told he should not receive injections in his arms any longer.(?)

Yeah, I'd be ??? too bc if not the arm, what other extremity do they suggest end up that way, right?

I mean I can just use my other arm, sorta. But it's not like you can just use one leg or not sit down?

It's useful to report adverse events so the CDC can properly track them, and make adjustments to the data sheets if needed. They like more information rather than less. Report the reaction here:

https://vaers.hhs.gov/index

It also helps other people to potentially plan vaccinations. If I know a particular shot has a lot of reports of related fatigue, that will impact when I choose to get it. Similarly, for kid vaccines, I can schedule apts for times of day to minimize the likely (but minor) adverse effects.

Sorry it was uncomfortable though. My parents always have a lot of pain associated with TDAP.

This. I do a delayed plan for most vaccines bc it's just so hard to tell reactions with itty bitty ones and it seems much scarier to me when they are really little too. But for my tweens and teens, I always try to schedule it at times when they can go home and be "sick" for a couple days afterwards bc in the past some have had flu-like and or really bad bee sting-like reactions to the shots for a several days. Both of which I am told is within normal range, but still no picnic to power through to meet outside commitments.

I wouldn't. Your problem is listed as one of the moderate side effects/reactions. While not common, it doesn't seem to be necessary to report it as it's already known.

Moderate problems following Tdap:
(Interfered with activities, but did not require medical attention)

• Pain where the shot was given (up to 1 in 5 or 6)
  • Redness or swelling where the shot was given (up to about 1 in 16 adolescents or 1 in 12 adults)
  • Fever over 102°F (about 1 in 100 adolescents or 1 in 250 adults)
  • Headache (about 1 in 7 adolescents or 1 in 10 adults)
  • Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach ache (up to 1 or 3 people in 100)
  • Swelling of the entire arm where the shot was given (up to about 1 in 500).

The above is from the CDC page on TDaP.

• Like 1

I wouldn't. Your problem is listed as one of the moderate side effects/reactions. While not common, it doesn't seem to be necessary to report it as it's already known.

Moderate problems following Tdap:

(Interfered with activities, but did not require medical attention)

• Pain where the shot was given (up to 1 in 5 or 6)
  • Redness or swelling where the shot was given (up to about 1 in 16 adolescents or 1 in 12 adults)
  • Fever over 102°F (about 1 in 100 adolescents or 1 in 250 adults)
  • Headache (about 1 in 7 adolescents or 1 in 10 adults)
  • Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach ache (up to 1 or 3 people in 100)
  • Swelling of the entire arm where the shot was given (up to about 1 in 500).

The above is from the CDC page on TDaP.

So do these statistics come from people reporting?  And should moderate reactions be reported?

After my last Td, I had my typical terrible reaction to all immunizations which was pretty much all of the above.  Five days of high fever and flu-like symptoms. People who saw my huge arm asked what the doctor said. I hadn't even called. I don't bother anymore, because the typical answer is "You were probably already coming down with something."  But would it be helpful to report it?