Menu

Do you get daily time to just relax?

Ottakee

I have been working a lot lately as Dh is laid off and there has been a high demand for special ed substitute teachers

..eso for the most severely disabled.

Anyway so many of themention taking a nap after work, sitting down and putting their feet up, watching TV, etc.

It seems like I am constantly running and busy. I try to stop by 9:30 to get in some time with dh but that isn't always relaxing and isn't me time.

I try to walk with a friend as often as I can and that is a great break for me but also my exercise time.

Just wondering about other moms. I am sure that parenting 4 special needs teens plays a part in my lack of relaxing time.

I get time to relax on some days, but definitely not every day. I plan things for myself and have to schedule them a couple of weeks in advance. Recently I've decided to take one Saturday a month to go do something by myself or with friends. I love it! My husband and I try to have date nights (out of the home) every couple of months. We also try to have the kids in bed at a decent hour so we can have couple time at night - doesn't always happen. My youngest child has special needs, so I understand that it must be challenging to find time to relax since you have four with special needs. 

Since dh took the kids to the store this is my relaxing time, but I don't get this every night. Most of the time by the time everyone is asleep I'm too tired/it's too late to listen to my audio book/read, catch up on a grown up show, etc. I haven't seen one of my hulu shows in so long I probably have to pay for the episodes on Amazon. I went on a walk with dd earlier tonight and while that was relaxing, I understand it's not quite the same as alone time. Last night I should have gone to bed earlier, but I spent part of that time looking up items on Amazon (Father's Day shopping).

I hope you can make some time for yourself soon. Dare I suggest maybe substituting some exercise time for something else. I know some people would not want to give up exercise time so that may not be a very good solution.

I am sure that parenting 4 special needs teens plays a part in my lack of relaxing time.

:grouphug: without a doubt.

I did until the kids realize I don't have chronic diarrhea every day. About a year ago my daughter discovered that I'm really just hiding in the bathroom with a laptop and soda for 45 minutes after lunch.  And she did not keep my secret despite the best of my bribery attempts.

I have to force it sometimes, but I get time to relax most days. My kids have started to work together to ensure I get it (hushing each other and physically preventing them from talking or bugging me). They finally realized it makes me nicer to be around!  And that if they don't, I lose my shizzle and force them to babysit their cousins so my siblings and I can go out LOL. It's easier for them to just give me an hour of trashy tv in the comfort of our own home!

• Like 1

We have "naptime" (which means don't bother mom unless you are bleeding or on fire) daily in the afternoon.  And the kids retire by 8pm, lights out at 9pm (I know this sounds early to some, but our day starts between 5-6 am, so it's really not). I am a fanatic about bedtime.  Mom and dad need kid free time and we are going to get it.

• Like 1

Not every day, but I try at least a few times a week if I can.  Tonight I am getting "down time".  I was supposed to be at a meeting with DH and DD but youngest is sick so I am home with him. He is just laying on the couch watching TV, so he doesn't need much attention unless he vomits again and I need to clean it up.

I wake up between 4:45-5:30 in order to get some quiet thinking time (they usually start getting up around 7). I usually read my Bible, part of my fiction book, and whatever book I'm reading to learn something. I sort out my day on my bullet journal. All of this is done with a good cup of coffee. I also walk 1-3 miles on the treadmill while watching something on Netflix while they're waking up and getting ready.

I get up before anyone else to enjoy my coffee in peace. When the toddler naps I often nap with him or read in quiet while he olders read or work on school assignments. I get a pedicure once a month by myself, and just last week I flew to Denver to visit my bestie and we stayed in a resort/spa. I don't get tons on the day to day completely without kids but I do prioritize it or I'm super grouchy. After coming home from Denver my disposition was markedly improved. :D

When I was working full time, no.  I had two little kids and was working and still taking a couple of classes at night.

Once I was a SAHM, yes, I felt like it was all free time.  Then the kids got older and needed me to drive them all over the place and that took up a lot of time.

But now I feel like it is too much free time and I am bored.  I am looking for a job.

I also have a mandatory "nap" time.  We call it read or rest time (no one naps anymore).  I definitely need that houri n the middle of the day.

I used to work as a nurse, then as a midwife.  As a midwife, I almost always got quiet pieces of time during the day.  As a nurse, with the 12 hour shifts, it was a lot harder to come by, but all of us snuck away for 30 minutes or so "to chart" all alone in a quiet corner at some point during the shift.  

Edited by Zinnia