Menu

Book a Week 2016 - BW24: philosophical rabbit trails

Robin M

Robin, you'll have to let me know if Bay of Sighs is any good. I put a hold on it but I think I'm like number 35 for ONE COPY. Oof.  

I had to stop and go back and read Stars of Fortune to refresh my memory on the story line.  Once through, then will read Bay of Sighs. The 2nd book started immediately where Stars left off without any background refresher in the first chapter. 

• Like 5

I finished The Age of Innocence last night.  Luckily I was alone in my bedroom, because the last chapter of that book just slays me.  Huge, gulping sobs. An ugly cry. With snot. I find Newland's choice and the life that resulted from it both noble and inexpressably sad.  He's like a canary in a gilded cage who has become so dependent on his bars that when the cage door is opened, all he can do is huddle in the corner. 

I think this is the perfect book for middle-aged people. I find the writing so beautiful, and the drawing of the characters so deft, I appreciate this book as a work of literature, but I think that what gets me in the gut is that sense of choices made, doors closed, roads not taken, that you have to come to term with at this stage in your life. I think that this book makes so clear the nobility, and the benefits, of making the "right" choice, but at the same time, the sense of loss, of opportunities missed, of the life lost because of the life settled for. And I just find it so tragic and so beautiful. 

Ack, that's all I can write about it right now, or I'm going to cry again!!  I will say that I read this book more critically this time than when I read it first, maybe 3-4 years ago, and I wondered if I would like it as much. But the resolution just gets me right in the belly, right in the heart, still. In a way I think it wouldn't have in my 20s, with my whole life ahead of me and irrevocable choices not yet made.

• Like 10

I finished The Age of Innocence last night.  Luckily I was alone in my bedroom, because the last chapter of that book just slays me.  Huge, gulping sobs. An ugly cry. With snot. I find Newland's choice and the life that resulted from it both noble and inexpressably sad.  He's like a canary in a gilded cage who has become so dependent on his bars that when the cage door is opened, all he can do is huddle in the corner. 

I think this is the perfect book for middle-aged people. I find the writing so beautiful, and the drawing of the characters so deft, I appreciate this book as a work of literature, but I think that what gets me in the gut is that sense of choices made, doors closed, roads not taken, that you have to come to term with at this stage in your life. I think that this book makes so clear the nobility, and the benefits, of making the "right" choice, but at the same time, the sense of loss, of opportunities missed, of the life lost because of the life settled for. And I just find it so tragic and so beautiful. 

Ack, that's all I can write about it right now, or I'm going to cry again!!  I will say that I read this book more critically this time than when I read it first, maybe 3-4 years ago, and I wondered if I would like it as much. But the resolution just gets me right in the belly, right in the heart, still. In a way I think it wouldn't have in my 20s, with my whole life ahead of me and irrevocable choices not yet made.

Added to my list, Rose.  I have never read this book.

• Like 5

Added to my list, Rose.  I have never read this book.

I hope I didn't overshare! I was trying to express why it gets me so much without giving a blow-by-blow plot spoiler. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. I know not everyone does, and I get it, and you could read the characters and events in several different ways, legitimately. I think it's at least 3 different stories overlaid, if not more, and probably different aspects of it will stand out for different people. But it remains one of my favorite books ever.

• Like 7

Based on recommendations here, I picked up (and finished) A Quaker Book of Wisdom.  What a lovely read, like sitting down for the afternoon with tea and an elder relative or mentor and listening to them riff on life.  I am familiar with Quaker belief and culture already, but enjoyed the reminder and the particular spin.  The Quaker's have such great phrasing:  Let your life speak, where way opens, that of God in every person.

I have a child headed to a Quaker university in the fall and I am personally hoping to find a way to attend a nearby retreat center for a few days.

Edited by shage
  • Like 5

Stacia, I know you have recommended a book with a title close to Bad Monkey. In my search for a new audiobook I found this one available https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16071701-bad-monkey?ac=1&from_search=true. Is that the one?

No. The one I was recommending is: Bad Monkeys by Matt Ruff.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/71845.Bad_Monkeys?from_search=true&search_version=service 

• Like 4

Amy re: Jackaby. My dd read that one as well as the sequel & said she thinks they would be totally fine for a 12yo. She says there are supernatural creatures (werewolf, ghost, banshee, & a red cap) but no romance that she remembers. She enjoyed them when she read them.

I just brought Jackaby home from the library and dd dove right into it! She's stoked.  Dr. Who and Sherlock are her two favorite people.  ;)

• Like 8

I just brought Jackaby home from the library and dd dove right into it! She's stoked.  Dr. Who and Sherlock are her two favorite people.  ;)

Rose, were you the one who asked??? I was thinking it was Amy.

Sorry if I addressed it wrongly. My mind is fried these days, My life has been a series of unfortunate events for over 6 months in a row now. Latest news is that my parents' house was struck by lightning a few days ago during horrific storms & torrential downpours here. (Thankfully, the house didn't burn down. However, their chimney was blown apart at the top, the falling bricks crushed the AC units, they have various electrical problems in the house, & a large tree is injured/damaged. They're now having to take care of all this, deal w/ insurance, contractors, etc... & it's less than 2 weeks until my mom's surgery. And, w/ the AC units crushed, they have no air in 90 degree temps everyday. Ugh.) My life & the people surrounding it sound worse than a bad soap opera, I know.  :nopity:  :tongue_smilie: 

Anyway, fried brain cells. That's where I'm at on a good day lately. :leaving:  (Speaking of that, I may end up abandoning The Mystery of Rio. I'm finding myself not picking it up to read & I need something simple. Maybe I need to go back to Dick & Jane books.)

• Like 8

Sorry if I addressed it wrongly. My mind is fried these days, My life has been a series of unfortunate events for over 6 months in a row now. Latest news is that my parents' house was struck by lightning a few days ago during horrific storms & torrential downpours here. (Thankfully, the house didn't burn down. However, their chimney was blown apart at the top, the falling bricks crushed the AC units, they have various electrical problems in the house, & a large tree is injured/damaged. They're now having to take care of all this, deal w/ insurance, contractors, etc... & it's less than 2 weeks until my mom's surgery. And, w/ the AC units crushed, they have no air in 90 degree temps everyday. Ugh.) My life & the people surrounding it sound worse than a bad soap opera, I know. :nopity: :tongue_smilie:

Anyway, fried brain cells. That's where I'm at on a good day lately. :leaving: (Speaking of that, I may end up abandoning The Mystery of Rio. I'm finding myself not picking it up to read & I need something simple. Maybe I need to go back to Dick & Jane books.)

Liking this to show support but you know that Stacia. Sending you good juju.

• Like 8

No. The one I was recommending is: Bad Monkeys by Matt Ruff.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/71845.Bad_Monkeys?from_search=true&search_version=service

Unfortunately I can't find this one in audiobook form at my libraries but it is available in Kindle form.....or at least I can go on the wait list for it. I don't think it was the last time I looked.

I did find some cozy type mysteries that I haven't read so will give one of those a try if my holds don't show up before my next quilting session. I am totally amazed at the number of books I am managing to listen to while crafting.

:grouphug: My like was supportive too! ;( Chimneys have always scared me, now I know why.

• Like 7

...My life has been a series of unfortunate events for over 6 months in a row now. ...

I'm so sorry to hear about the latest set of woes, Stacia.  I hope that happier days are ahead for you and your parents.

[in bookish terms, if you're experiencing A Series of Unfortunate Events, I hope you'll soon move on to A Long and Happy Life.]

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

The big news here is that as a happy Father's Day and thank you for paying off my student loans gift, my daughter is flying my husband out to South Korea to join her for ten days.  My husband was totally shocked in the best of ways.  He'll be leaving next week, and he's using his spare time to brush up on his elementary Korean.  Not being one for solitude, I contacted a couple of long time friends and will be visiting both of them in California while he's gone. 

I asked my daughter for some suggestions of things she might like her father to bring; she asked for a copy of The Pandora Principle (Star Trek: The Original Series) by Carolyn Clowes.  I found a copy yesterday at a local thrift store, and, naturally, I had to re-read it.  I enjoyed revisiting it.

"A Romulan Bird of Prey mysteriously drifts over the neutral zone and into Federation territory. Captain Kirk and the crew of the Enterprise investigate, only to find the ship dead in space. When Starfleet orders the derelict ship brought to Earth for examination, the Enterprise returns home with perhaps her greatest prize.

But the Bird of Prey carries a dangerous cargo, a deadly force that is soon unleashed in the heart of the Federation. Suddenly, the only hope for the Federation's survival lies buried in the tortured memory of Commander Spock's protégé, a cadet named Saavik. Together, Spock and Saavik must return to the nightmare world of Saavik's birth -- a planet called Hellguard, to discover the secret behind the Romulans' most deadly threat of all..."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

Sorry if I addressed it wrongly. My mind is fried these days, My life has been a series of unfortunate events for over 6 months in a row now. Latest news is that my parents' house was struck by lightning a few days ago during horrific storms & torrential downpours here. (Thankfully, the house didn't burn down. However, their chimney was blown apart at the top, the falling bricks crushed the AC units, they have various electrical problems in the house, & a large tree is injured/damaged. They're now having to take care of all this, deal w/ insurance, contractors, etc... & it's less than 2 weeks until my mom's surgery. And, w/ the AC units crushed, they have no air in 90 degree temps everyday. Ugh.) My life & the people surrounding it sound worse than a bad soap opera, I know.  :nopity:  :tongue_smilie:

Anyway, fried brain cells. That's where I'm at on a good day lately. :leaving:  (Speaking of that, I may end up abandoning The Mystery of Rio. I'm finding myself not picking it up to read & I need something simple. Maybe I need to go back to Dick & Jane books.)

Oh my goodness! Thank goodness no one was injured, but I feel their pain on dealing with the contractors & stuff, we're in the middle of home repairs and it is a huge drag.

No, it was Amy who asked about the book, but I was eagerly following the discussion, given dd's adoration of Dr Who & Sherlock!

• Like 6

The big news here is that as a happy Father's Day and thank you for paying off my student loans gift, my daughter is flying my husband out to South Korea to join her for ten days. My husband was totally shocked in the best of ways. He'll be leaving next week, and he's using his spare time to brush up on his elementary Korean. Not being one for solitude, I contacted a couple of long time friends and will be visiting both of them in California while he's gone.

I asked my daughter for some suggestions of things she might like her father to bring; she asked for was a copy of The Pandora Principle (Star Trek: The Original Series) by Carolyn Clowes. I found a copy yesterday at a local thrift store, and, naturally, I had to re-read it. I enjoyed revisiting it.

"A Romulan Bird of Prey mysteriously drifts over the neutral zone and into Federation territory. Captain Kirk and the crew of the Enterprise investigate, only to find the ship dead in space. When Starfleet orders the derelict ship brought to Earth for examination, the Enterprise returns home with perhaps her greatest prize.

But the Bird of Prey carries a dangerous cargo, a deadly force that is soon unleashed in the heart of the Federation. Suddenly, the only hope for the Federation's survival lies buried in the tortured memory of Commander Spock's protégé, a cadet named Saavik. Together, Spock and Saavik must return to the nightmare world of Saavik's birth -- a planet called Hellguard, to discover the secret behind the Romulans' most deadly threat of all..."

Regards,

Kareni

What a fabulous gift! My son is presenting his dad with a vicarious thrill. The Boy, as he is known, is almost at Mount Katahdin. More than 2100 miles walked in less than four months!
  • Like 8

Beautifully expressed review, Rose.

And I totally agree - reading this in middle age was much more meaningful than if I had read it as a young woman. I KNOW I wouldn't have understood all the emotions and choices the characters made. As it was, I was angry at first with Newland's decision at the very end of the book but I sat and thought about it and came to understand how he couldn't have done anything else, really. :(

• Like 8

My son is presenting his dad with a vicarious thrill. The Boy, as he is known, is almost at Mount Katahdin. More than 2100 miles walked in less than four months!

I'm seriously impressed!  Kudos to the boy.

Regarding The Lemon Tree: An Arab, a Jew, and the Heart of the Middle East by Sandy Tolan:

I've had this one on kindle software for awhile now. But, seeing as how I rarely get around to reading my kindle books, I may never get around to it. I'd be curious to hear your group's reaction to it too, Kareni. 

We were a group of five people who met last night to discuss the book.  We started with food some of which was thematic -- dates, pistachios, apricots, hummus, matzoh, and some which was not -- quesadillas stuffed with garlic mashed sweet potatoes and russets, pasta with vegetables, and brownies.

We did not have any Arabs in our group though we did have someone who is Jewish as well as someone who is married to a Jew and raising her children as Jewish.  I'm guessing the others would identify as either Christian or non-religious.  I'd wondered if the discussion might get heated; however, such was not the case. 

I am not politically or historically savvy when it comes to the middle east; however, I felt the book to be well researched and even handed, and the others agreed.  I came away from the book being sympathetic to the Palestine cause as did we all.  (I'm not sympathetic, however, to terrorist actions taken by extremists of any persuasion.)  We also felt that there were parallels to the settling of America and the treatment of the Native peoples.

One of the group appreciated being able to now place in time various Middle Eastern rulers/individuals.  All of us appreciated how the author chose a man and a woman and used them to put a human face to the story of two peoples.  Two of our group did not finish the book due to other commitments, and one mentioned skimming portions.  Two of us read the book in its entirety (hand up here).  It was a good discussion overall.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

Liking this to show support but you know that Stacia. Sending you good juju.

Thank you!

:grouphug: My like was supportive too! ;( Chimneys have always scared me, now I know why.

Thanks. At least it was blown away from the house (mostly) rather than breaking through the roof.

Oh my goodness! Thank goodness no one was injured, but I feel their pain on dealing with the contractors & stuff, we're in the middle of home repairs and it is a huge drag.

Thanks.

The big news here is that as a happy Father's Day and thank you for paying off my student loans gift, my daughter is flying my husband out to South Korea to join her for ten days.  My husband was totally shocked in the best of ways.  He'll be leaving next week, and he's using his spare time to brush up on his elementary Korean.  Not being one for solitude, I contacted a couple of long time friends and will be visiting both of them in California while he's gone.

Very cool. Sounds like it will be a great time for them & it sounds like you have fabulous plans too!

Regarding The Lemon Tree: An Arab, a Jew, and the Heart of the Middle East by Sandy Tolan:

We were a group of five people who met last night to discuss the book.  We started with food some of which was thematic -- dates, pistachios, apricots, hummus, matzoh, and some which was not -- quesadillas stuffed with garlic mashed sweet potatoes and russets, pasta with vegetables, and brownies.

We did not have any Arabs in our group though we did have someone who is Jewish as well as someone who is married to a Jew and raising her children as Jewish.  I'm guessing the others would identify as either Christian or non-religious.  I'd wondered if the discussion might get heated; however, such was not the case. 

I am not politically or historically savvy when it comes to the middle east; however, I felt the book to be well researched and even handed, and the others agreed.  I came away from the book being sympathetic to the Palestine cause as did we all.  (I'm not sympathetic, however, to terrorist actions taken by extremists of any persuasion.)  We also felt that there were parallels to the settling of America and the treatment of the Native peoples.

One of the group appreciated being able to now place in time various Middle Eastern rulers/individuals.  All of us appreciated how the author chose a man and a woman and used them to put a human face to the story of two peoples.  Two of our group did not finish the book due to other commitments, and one mentioned skimming portions.  Two of us read the book in its entirety (hand up here).  It was a good discussion overall.

Thanks for posting all the comments & feedback. I do need to get around to reading this.

My son is presenting his dad with a vicarious thrill. The Boy, as he is known, is almost at Mount Katahdin. More than 2100 miles walked in less than four months!

Like Kareni, I'm seriously impressed.

• Like 5

[in bookish terms, if you're experiencing A Series of Unfortunate Events, I hope you'll soon move on to A Long and Happy Life.]

Thanks.

And :laugh: .

:grouphug:

A Long and Happy Life looks good. And, perhaps something my mom would enjoy reading too. Hmmmm. (Her birthday is next week & she's always so hard to buy for. I think you may have helped me complete some of my shopping!)

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 6

Meant to tell Jane -- at least two people picking up books on hold today at the library were picking up Alan Furst novels. It seems his modern appeal is spreading....

ETA: Another one I see frequently being picked up from hold is the newest Maisie Dobbs one, Journey to Munich. Figured I'd mention it for the Flufferton fans &/or cozy mystery fans in case you didn't already know about it.

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 5

Several currently free Kindle books that might interest some ~

a mystery:

The Lanvin Murders (Vintage Clothing Mysteries Book 1) by Angela M. Sanders

"All Portland vintage clothing store owner Joanna Hayworth wants to do is turn her back on the modern world and retreat into a carefully curated life of satin cocktail gowns, icy martinis, and old movies.

But when Joanna finds a key in a 1930s Lanvin coat cast off by an ex-showgirl, everything changes. The elderly woman turns up dead, and Joanna is pulled into a long-ago drama of back room deals, blackmail, and lost love. She must find a very real—and present day—killer before she becomes his next victim...."

this is listed as Christian fiction: Gone To Green (The Green Series Book 1) by Judy Christie

"Starred review -- Publishers Weekly:
"Christie engagingly guides both readers and the charming yet flummoxed Barker . . .This novel is unafraid to address the injustices of sexism, racism and corruption as well as the spiritual devastation that often accompanies the loss of loved ones."

"Will a big-city journalist find love and happiness in small-town Louisiana? An ambitious newspaper editor trades her corporate life at a large paper for the ownership of "The Green News-Item" in rural Louisiana -- and finds friendship with an unlikely group of people. Ready to fight for right, she is unexpectedly drawn into new causes -- and attracted to an appealing high-school coach who raises catfish part time...."

NO LONGER FREE!  two steampunk novels by Kara Jorgensen:

The Earl of Brass (The Ingenious Mechanical Devices Book 1)

and

The Winter Garden (The Ingenious Mechanical Devices Book 2)

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

Regarding the two steampunk novels by Kara Jorgensen:

When I click, these two show up as free for KindleUnlimited users, but otherwise show as $3.99.

That was clearly a quick sale as I got them both for free when I posted them. 

Thanks for letting me know, Stacia.  I've updated my post above to reflect that they're no longer free.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

I finished Childhood's End by Arthur C Clarke. It's one of the biggies of sci fi that I had never gotten around to reading. I think I decided to read it because I saw that the SciFy miniseries is now available on Netflix and I wanted to read the book before watching it.  I was underwhelmed.  As an ecologists I found the view of humanity's place/role in earth and it's future evolution disturbing and unappealing.  As somebody very familiar with Christian mythology, I found it too much of an allegory for the relation between God, the angels, and humanity - although not a version that was particularly kind to humanity, since we were unable to reach our potential without being saved from ourselves by our angelic Overlords. I don't know, I guess it just left me pretty cold and unmoved, mildly annoyed rather than feeling anything stronger.  Oh well. Not all books work for everybody.

• Like 6

Stacia, our house was struck by lightning years ago. We didn't have any structural damage but we lost our computer, TV, and fridge. It was so loud when it struck. It sounded like an explosion. It hit the antenna on the house which is why it killed our electrical items. I'm still amazed the washer and dryer weren't broken. 

I hope they get everything fixed soon and as painlessly as possible. 

• Like 5

I have some time for reading this afternoon and for the better part of the day tomorrow. On Friday I have to have a spinal tap and then lay flat on my back for a couple of days, so I am hoping to be able to read during that time.

Thinking of you, Ethel, and hoping you are well.

• Like 5