Menu

Please suggest things to do in Napa and Sonoma counties for a non-drinker.

Kareni

Hello all,

In two weeks, I'm going to be visiting an old friend who lives in St. Helena.  We'll be together for about six days.  I don't care for the taste of alcoholic beverages so apart from stopping in at V. Sattui Winery to pick up a bottle of my husband's favorite madeira, I will happily skip any winery visits.  That said, please suggest things to do in Napa and Sonoma counties.

About me ~

A few things I like to do:

Read

Browse at thrift stores

Eat chocolate

Chat and play games with friends

I am not:

Athletic

A daredevil

Wealthy

Interested in a spa visit or a massage

Your help is much appreciated.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

Sonoma is cute to walk around. The Mission is interesting if you are interested in California history.

Near Sonoma is Jack London State Park in Glen Ellen.

Eat lots of terrific Mexican food, available everywhere. The best is always inexpensive.

Go to the Redwoods. Guerneville is about 20 minutes outside Santa Rosa and home to Armstrong Woods, the Russian River and good ice cream.

Bodega Bay/Jenner if you have time for a good beach (not swimming) (by good I mean big, and expect fog and cold). Combine these with Guernville for a nice day trip.

There used to be great thrift shops in and around Railroad Square downtown Santa Rosa. That's where I did all my shopping in high school. :)

• Like 3

Lots of great suggestions. This is my old turf so I have to chime in.

• Luther Burbank Botanical Garden in Santa Rosa
  • Quarryhill Botanical Garden in Glen Ellen
  • Jenner by the Sea (up Hwy 1 at the cross roads of Hwy 1 and River Rd - Hwy 116). Lots of antique shops in Duncan's Mills: http://www.duncansmills.net/
  • Goat Rock - a neat beach area with an interesting rock sculpted by the sea
  • Nick's Cove - neat little restaurant with good clam chowder. https://nickscove.com/ They have a lit up pier.
  • Spring Lake and Annadel State Park in East Santa Rosa
  • Tomales - a little hiking and ocean breeze  :)
  • Union Hotel in Occidental - old time Italian dining
  • Salmon Beach - a fairly long beach where the cliffs form some round half-coves which protect you from wind but do not obscure the view
  • St. Helena's Antiques on 1231 Main Street
Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 1

Heads-up, It is supposed to get hot, hot next week. Jenner: Kayak rentals across the street from Cafe Aquatica. Paddle up the Russian River. kind of pricey, but fun. Historical Fort Ross- Russian fort on coast. The drive alone is worth the adventure. Dramatic views. The San Andreas Fault makes landfall near the fort. If visiting the Barlow in Sebastopol, there is a Free Party in Ives park with live music on Wednesday evenings starting June 29th. Healdsburg has nice shops, a lovely town square, and good food.

• Like 1

Yes, the temps where I live are typically the same as Napa even though I'm 45 minutes away. The technician who came out to diagnose why our A/C isn't cooling as much as it should warned me that it's going to be triple digits for most of next week. Wednesday is supposed to be the worst.