Menu

Books, only slightly tongue-in-cheek....

Innisfree

Does anyone else ever worry that the collective weight of their home library might actually endanger the structural stability of their house?

Laughing here, as I try to sort and organize at the end of the school year, but also wishing I could add on a purpose-built library.

• Like 1

Dh, a civil engineer, has commented on that several times ... not so tongue in cheek.  When we looked at houses, that is something he kept in mind, knowing how many books we had (with only a toddler and a first grader.)  He did rule out a couple of houses based upon shoddy construction. When I did my last curriculum cull, we joked that the house breathed a sigh of relief. 

• Like 2

For those concerned, what kind of foundation do your homes have and are we talking downstairs or upstairs? We have a new home and honestly I have never thought twice about our library's weight or our piano!

I'm not sure about the structural integrity of the house, but I am worried about my own structural integrity, as we move the books (repeatedly) from room to room to remove and replace the flooring.  Inspired by lower back pain, I actually find myself in the proper headspace to do a massive cull of my bookshelves once the floors are done and we put everything back in space.

Of course, I just ordered three new books this morning . . .  ;)  :D

• Like 2

Yes, we do worry about the structural integrity of the house with so many books.  Actually, we kind of worry about the structural integrity of the house in general - it's 106 years old.  When my kiddos play HotWheels in the living room, they can sit in the center of the room and push cars in any direction, and the cars roll back down to them.  We don't store books in the living room.  And we are careful about a certain section of hallway upstairs.  Most books are stored in what used to be the formal dining room (now play room/homeschool room).  We built floor-to-ceiling book shelves against one (load bearing) wall.  Around the corner we have a deep pantry, and I also worry a bit about how much the floor there can hold.  So far, none of my flour or sugar buckets have fallen through!

• Like 1

I sorta did that.

I stashed tons of schoolbooks in the attic, never considering structural integrity.

One day, my dh noticed the bathroom door sticking. He went into the attic to see what was up. I'll never forget him thundering down the stairs hollering "Are you TRYING to make our ceiling cave in?"

ETA: Yeah, Ethel, my dh is a civil engineer too. He was not amused.

Edited by fairfarmhand
  • Like 5

I remember learning in a structural engineering class that university libraries need extra support.

Our bookshelves are in the basement. I have never worried about the piano. I do remember that during the waterbed craze, they weren't allowed in some second floor apartments. But that might have been due to leaks and not so much due to the structural integrity of the apartment.

We went to an old Mansion in Victoria where they had at one time housed a library-- we weren't allowed to walk in some of the upstairs rooms because of the structural damage caused by the weight of books.

I had a home waterbirth with my youngest and we had to find the right spot for the pool ;)

• Like 1

For those concerned, what kind of foundation do your homes have and are we talking downstairs or upstairs? We have a new home and honestly I have never thought twice about our library's weight or our piano!

Well, for us, we've got a standard ranch house on a crawl space, roughly fifty years old, probably average construction quality. I have no real reason to think there's a problem, but we do have a *lot* of books. The worry just lurks in the back of my mind a bit.

Eta: 1st floor here, concentrated around the outside of a few rooms.

Edited by Innisfree

I'm not sure about the structural integrity of the house, but I am worried about my own structural integrity, as we move the books (repeatedly) from room to room to remove and replace the flooring. Inspired by lower back pain, I actually find myself in the proper headspace to do a massive cull of my bookshelves once the floors are done and we put everything back in space.

Of course, I just ordered three new books this morning . . . ;) :D

Ouch. Back pain is a compelling argument for culling.

I sorta did that.

I stashed tons of schoolbooks in the attic, never considering structural integrity.

One day, my dh noticed the bathroom door sticking. He went into the attic to see what was up. I'll never forget him thundering down the stairs hollering "Are you TRYING to make our ceiling cave in?"

ETA: Yeah, Ethel, my dh is a civil engineer too. He was not amused.

Ummm.

Time to go see if any boxes of books are in the attic.

I'm seriously going to have to get rid of some things over the summer.