Menu

Secular, discussion-based history?

I will be using The Great Courses for Medieval History this coming year.  I like the questions at the end of their lectures and I am sure I can find additional points to ponder.  For Classical History, Lukeion is secular but it is not discussion based.  However, my son and I found plenty to discuss from the readings and lectures.  They are intense classes though.

Are the Great Courses lectures enough to count as a credit? 

I have heard wonderful things about Lukeion but the price makes it a non-option for us. 

I will take a look at Classical Historian. 

Thank you all!

Are the Great Courses lectures enough to count as a credit? 

I have heard wonderful things about Lukeion but the price makes it a non-option for us. 

I will take a look at Classical Historian. 

Thank you all!

So, if you prescribe to the notion that a full credit includes 120-180 hours worth of work, than no, it wouldn't be enough.  I think if you add in primary source documents + discussion, textbook reading and a few writing assignments it would be though (don't forget Documentaries, there are literally 1000's of them on YouTube).

You could add Stanford's Reading like a historian, and some additional reading for continuity from either an encyclopedia or textbook. When using the great courses  I always count each  lecture as 1 hour. This includes the 30 minutes for the lecture and another 20-30 minutes for discussion and often times quick internet searches for more information.  This is the plan we're using for American History next year.

• Like 2

So, if you prescribe to the notion that a full credit includes 120-180 hours worth of work, than no, it wouldn't be enough.  I think if you add in primary source documents + discussion, textbook reading and a few writing assignments it would be though (don't forget Documentaries, there are literally 1000's of them on YouTube).

You could add Stanford's Reading like a historian, and some additional reading for continuity from either an encyclopedia or textbook. When using the great courses  I always count each  lecture as 1 hour. This includes the 30 minutes for the lecture and another 20-30 minutes for discussion and often times quick internet searches for more information.  This is the plan we're using for American History next year.

Which Great Courses lecture are you using for American History?  I'm looking at the High-School Level Word History but haven't looked at American history yet. 

Will you be reading with your student?

Yes, or her father will be.   I suppose technically anything could be made discussion-based, but I'm looking for something that has questions and topics for discussion already laid out.

Edited by mo2
  • Like 1

Which Great Courses lecture are you using for American History?  I'm looking at the High-School Level Word History but haven't looked at American history yet. 

Yes, or her father will be.   I suppose technically anything could be made discussion-based, but I'm looking for something that has questions and topics for discussion already laid out.

When you are starting out, it can be helpful to have ready-made questions, but you will also find with time, that the questions and discussions will come naturally and easily.

Most textbooks will have questions built in to them and of course, as mentioned, the Great Courses all have questions at the end of each lecture.

Will this be for a ninth grader? Will you have younger students following along? Does your student like history?  Do you and/or your dh like history?  What do you want your history studies to look like? Some students will be happy with the Great Courses high school history classes, others, not so much.

When you are starting out, it can be helpful to have ready-made questions, but you will also find with time, that the questions and discussions will come naturally and easily.

Most textbooks will have questions built in to them and of course, as mentioned, the Great Courses all have questions at the end of each lecture.

Will this be for a ninth grader? Will you have younger students following along? Does your student like history?  Do you and/or your dh like history?  What do you want your history studies to look like? Some students will be happy with the Great Courses high school history classes, others, not so much.

9th grader, and she "hates history."  She learns best by videos (watches a lot of Khan Academy) rather than reading, so I thought the Great Courses might be a good fit. 

9th grader, and she "hates history."  She learns best by videos (watches a lot of Khan Academy) rather than reading, so I thought the Great Courses might be a good fit. 

I just came across this "Teach with Movies" site today and thought you might be able to glean from it. It has background information and discussion questions for each film.

http://www.teachwithmovies.org/best-world-history-hs.html

• Like 1

Definitely sample TGC high-school level classes. We had the US history one and it was AWFUL. I'd lean strongly toward the regular courses.

:iagree:

The two so-called "high school history" courses by Linwood Thompson are really terrible — barely middle school level, IMHO, and not remotely the same quality as the other courses. 

The main US History course (~84 lectures I think?) makes a great spine. We also watched selected lectures from a few others, and added extra reading (whole books, not a text), some essays, and plenty of discussion. In the guidebooks for the courses, there are two discussion questions after each lecture, which can be used as a springboard for discussion or as essay prompts. 

• Like 3

Thank you. I found the US course I think you are referring to.

Any suggestions for world history??

We usedand highly enjoyed History of the Ancient World: A Global Perspective (Aldrete). It's 36 lectures long. I combined them with a number of books from our excellent public library system.

• Like 2