Menu

NYC for one day: what should we do?

cave canem

There are often Wednesday matinees for Broadway.  I'd totally see a show.

Won't have time to do all, but....

Can take the Staten Island ferry (for free) to see the Statue of Liberty.

Walk through Central Park, go to MoMA or the Museum of Natural History.

Shopping (window) on 5th Avenue.

Maybe try a fun place or food truck for lunch. 

Visit the 9/11 memorial if it won't upset the younger kids.

Central Park and Museum of Natural History.  It's fun for all ages and you can certainly spend a lot of time there.  They ask for a specific amount to enter but it is a donation. You can actually pay whatever you like.  If you pay full suggested amount it can really add up.  So feel free to donate 5$ per person, it's fine.  Really.  You do have to pay the full amount to get into the planetarium show and IMO that is worth it, if you are going to be there when it shows. 

The park is literally right across the street from the museum...or at least part of the park is, lol. The museum has restaurants inside where you can buy real food for lunch, but it will cost.  And we didn't find quick food places near the museum beyond the food trucks parked outside. They were not great. So, eat before you go or be prepared to buy lunch inside the museum. It's not horribly overpriced, just regular NYC overpriced. And they did have actual food, like veggie wraps and salads and yogurt etc. I saw lots of museum staff eating the food in the museum restaurants.

• Like 1

If the weather is nice I'd pick up some deli sandwiches and have lunch in Central Park, and walk around the park a bit.  I'd also ride the subway at some point, and if you have time, I'd take the Staten Island Ferry.  I wouldn't see a Broadway show because you're already going to a concert that evening, and I think two shows in one day would be too much.  I'd probably grab a slice of good NY pizza for dinner, before the show.  

Can take the Staten Island ferry (for free) to see the Statue of Liberty.

You go past the statue, yes, but if you want to go to Liberty Island you need to take a different ferry that costs money. The real advantage of taking the Ferry is that once you're on the Island you can get NYC's best Sri Lankan food. (Actually, I think we might have all of NYC's Sri Lankan restaurants...? Point being, Sri Lankan food is delicious, and I need to eat some RIGHT NOW. Brb, going to get some eggplant.)

Do you guys want to learn something, or just goof off? Do you want to spend more time walking, or more time sitting? What sort of food do you like to eat - stuff you can get at home, or stuff you can't?

Edited by Tanaqui

First time?  I'd either stay uptown and hit Central Park and then the MOMA or Met for a while.  Or, head down to the Soho/Tribeca/Lower East Side area.  Great restaurants in that area, and people watching, fun shopping, and the fantastic Tenement Museum is in the Lower East Side.  I think it's one of the best experiences in NYC.  https://www.tenement.org  You will need to schedule in advance for the tour.  

Visiting the Statue of Liberty is pretty wonderful too!  It can take a big chunk of time.

Edited by jjeepa

Definitely picnic in Central Park (buy deli sandwiches or grab a pizza). Either rent a boat and row in the lake or rent a couple of tandems from one of the bike places at Columbus Circle and ride the loop. You want to be outdoors and moving if you'll be sitting in Carnegie Hall in the evening. Plus, you CAN'T miss Central Park.  It's iconic.

Whatever you choose to do, have fun!

The Statue of Liberty isn't on Governor's Island. Unless you mean take selfies with people dressed up as the Statue of Liberty? If that's what you want to do, you can do so in Battery Park, I guess, though I agree that Governor's Island is a bit more fun.

http://realnewyorktours.com/#_=_

We used this tour group for the 6 hour tour and had a great time. It is a great way to see a lot. The group tours are $80 per person and we had 4 people, so we did the private tour for $400 and had some more leeway on things on where we wanted to concentrate. We had a great guide and saw and learned more than we could any other way. We had a 9 and 19 year old and it was great for both. 

They have lots of other tour options. I love tours!