Menu

Scrap the rest of the school year?

I suffered a severe concussion the first of January.  It's been a long road recovering, and I'm not there yet.  Because I have significant impacts to my vision and memory we have basically been off school since January.  The exception being online classes for my middle kids that covered English and Writing, and reading and math for my youngest, which DH has been squeezing in around his work schedule.  My oldest will be covered, although with much lower GPA than we would have liked for her 10th grade year.  So the question becomes, do I try and finish up what I can over the summer, maybe with a shorter version of history, and start fresh for next year (8th, 6th, and 3rd), or do I try and work through everything over the summer and just keep going?  We have always done light math over the summer, so that would continue across the board, DH will continue working with my youngest, one has a tutor, and the other two are using the virtual homeschool AYOP.  I guess I'm asking if there would be any real harm at this age in just scrapping the rest of the school year?  Our new year will start mid-August.

You need additional time to recover and not be stressed.  I say scrap things for now with one exception.  Is there a way to have the kids review in math at least 4 days a week through most of the summer?  Maybe with an independent program like Khan Academy or CTC math or Time for Learning, so it isn't on your shoulders?  And I would definitely be encouraging independent reading or listening to audio books to continue to build vocabulary/grammar/concepts.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 2

I'd do fun subjects for 1/2 a day during the summer and save the hard subjects for the fall.  I'd take a 2 week vacation somewhere in the middle of summer.  Or, if you do things like camps, do the camps.  So...mini vacation plus 1/2 days of fun stuff. 

Like, my kids would find history, art and music appreciation, and logic to be fun.

• Like 1

You need additional time to recover and not be stressed.  I say scrap things for now with one exception.  Is there a way to have the kids review in math at least 4 days a week through most of the summer?  Maybe with an independent program like Khan Academy or CTC math or Time for Learning, so it isn't on your shoulders?  And I would definitely be encouraging independent reading or listening to audio books to continue to build vocabulary/grammar/concepts.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

Yes, they will continue with math at least 4 days a week.  I wasn't clear enough on that.  DH is working with the youngest in math and reading, next oldest has a math tutor (I have no worries about him he's way ahead in math), my twins are doing virtual homeschool math online since it's self checking.  

All my kids are avid readers so we will keep encouraging that, but I will look into a few audio books for the youngest.

It's funny, after all these years, but I guess I am asking for permission. :)

Edited by melmichigan
  • Like 4

Yes, they will continue with math at least 4 days a week.  I wasn't clear enough on that.  DH is working with the youngest in math and reading, next oldest has a math tutor (I have no worries about him he's way ahead in math), my twins are doing virtual homeschool math online since it's self checking.  

All my kids are avid readers so we will keep encouraging that, but I will look into a few audio books for the youngest.

It's funny, but I guess I am asking for permission. :)

As a person with no authority whatsoever but more than willing to put in my 2 cents you have my wholehearted permission!  LOL

:)

Hugs and best wishes.

• Like 1

So you're basically talking about scrapping content that you only sort of were able to cover anyway for kids who aren't even in high school for a really good medical reason. Goodness, yes. Let it go. Focus on healing.

I might see if your 10th grader could do something independently to bring up her GPA. Maybe a special summer project of her own? Sort of a la school "extra credit" projects?

• Like 7

So you're basically talking about scrapping content that you only sort of were able to cover anyway for kids who aren't even in high school for a really good medical reason. Goodness, yes. Let it go. Focus on healing.

I might see if your 10th grader could do something independently to bring up her GPA. Maybe a special summer project of her own? Sort of a la school "extra credit" projects?

That is a great idea! I will talk to DD about it.

• Like 1