Menu

St. Louis vacation next week...please help!

Meadowlark

I know there are supposed to be a few St. Louis threads, but I can't seem to find them. I figured it would be just as easy to get some help here so thank you in advance.

We are traveling to St. Louis next Saturday for a week with kids aged 9, 7, 5, 4, 3. We are renting a house in a western suburb. The attractions I know we want to do for sure are the City Museum, Zoo, Science Center, Grant's Farm, Arch, and The Magic House.

Since we're renting a house, we plan to have breakfast and pack a daily lunch when possible. We'd love to hear a few recommendations for "not to be missed" restaurants. It would be especially helpful if you could tell me which restaurants are near certain attractions. I know I can drop pins with my phone, but the biggest thing I'm having a hard time with is coming up with our itinerary. I have no idea which of the above are located by each other except for the Forest Park attractions.

I'd also appreciate any tips in general if you're familar with the area. Thanks so much. This is our first vacation and I'm a little nervous, but excited. I just want to make sure we're not driving around and have a game plan so that everything goes smoothly. I'd appreciate any advice you can offer!

ETA: Give me your opinion on if these things are worth our time...Transportation Museum, Purina Farms, Missouri Botanical Gardens? Or is there anything else I'm missing?

Edited by Meadowlark

We loved our vacation to St. Louis some years back!  Our favorites were going up in the arch, Grant's Park, the Cahokia Indian Mounds,  the Budweiser brewery tour, and a museum that was walking distance from the Arch... can't remember which one though!  I think it was a history museum.

Purina Farms is good for kids. Dog show, tractor with trailer ride, some sciency stuff, some play stuff. Call a day ahead to let them know you're coming. You may want to call the Arch. They were doing construction, and I don't know how much of it was open. City Museum is my kids favorite St Louis thing. 

Purina Farms is a bit of a drive. I actually haven't been there since a 6th grade Girl Scouts trip, but I've been meaning to take the kids at some point. Shaw Nature Reserve isn't too far from there and has an awesome nature playground and walking trails.

If you have little train aficionados, the Museum of Transportation is well worth it. We bought a membership and practically lived there when I had 4yo and 5yo boys. There's a nice playground nearby, Sugar Creek Park, where we go to eat lunch during our trips there.

The Magic House isn't too far away from the MoT (both are in the west suburban area), but I've done both in one day and ended up with exhausted, overwhelmed, cranky kids.

The Botanical Garden is great too, with an awesome Children's Garden. We don't get there often enough.

I posted on a thread not too long ago about the Arch... Lots of construction. Ticket sales and the museum exhibits are at the Old Courthouse, and you have to have a ticket to get into the Arch building now.

For restaurants... someone else will have to chime in, lol. I'm not a fan of Imo's (or any St. Louis style) Pizza, and honestly we don't go to many restaurants.

Enjoy your visit!

ETA: if you want to try Imo's Pizza, there's one on Hampton south of the zoo, pretty much between the zoo and science center. Downtown, we usually go to Caleco's, which is across from the Old Courthouse. Other than that I'm drawing a blank on food!

Edited by BarbecueMom
  • Like 1

The Botanical Gardens had a lovely children's garden when we went a few years ago. I wouldn't cancel your other planned activities to go to the gardens, but it would be a nice slower paced thing to do if you are looking for something low key one day. The Magic House was one of the kids' favorite places. If you aren't on dairy restrictions, Ted Drewes Frozen Custard is a nice treat. I don't remember where it was located, but we may have went there on the way back to town from Grant's Farm.

Ted Drewe's has 2 locations -- you can find out more on their website  http://teddrewes.com.  It's a great stop -- very much a St Louis attraction. 

For an actual restaurant, Fitz's can be fun for the kids.  It's on the Delmar Loop, which is near-ish to Forest Park. https://fitzsrootbeer.com

I'm blank on other kid friendly restaurants   When my brother came we suggested he go the The Hill to get a sandwich from Amighettis (although other sandwich spots are rated higher, its dh's favorite)  and toasted ravioli from pretty much anywhere that has it since it's also a very St. Louis thing to eat.  

Seamus McDaniel's has the best burgers in the city (the rest of the menu is great, too!), and has a great neighborhood atmosphere. And it's really close to the Zoo!

The Botanical Garden is one of our favorite places. We go there almost weekly at this time of year...there's so much to see.

My website (link in my signature) has tons of St. Louis info, from our family's point-of-view. All of the attractions and restaurants and events we love the most.

You should try St. Louis style pizza, though it's an acquired taste. We preferred Bogart's BBQ to Pappy's. You can get ravioli and sauce from Mama Toscano's and prepare it at the house. We devoured our items on the concrete table out front. Gooey butter cake. We got root beer at Fitz's but I think ate somewhere across the street.