Menu

My dd took a 1 credit class at the local university. I listed it on her high school transcript, but marked it no credit - NC. Around here most 3 credit classes transfer to a half credit for high school and I didn't want to get into quarter credits.

DS will be taking an introductory engineering course at the local CC.  The course is 8 weeks long and is worth "1 credit" according to the college.  What would that translate to for high school credit?  1/2 credit?

Thanks!

Hot Lava Mama

It's worth a whole high school credit.

The credit that the c.c. gives it is sort of irrelevant. I gave all the students in my umbrella school a full year's high school credit for every c.c. class they took. None of them ever had any problems with that, whether they went back to high school or graduated at home and went on to college.

• Like 2

Following as my daughter has to take a half-semester 1 credit college transfer success class for dual enrollment, which is basically some career exploration and primarily planning for transferring to a 4 year school from the community college. It's about 3.5 hours a week for 8 weeks (combo of in-class and online) and says in the catalog that it is "1 credit hour, 2 contact hours" while the 3 credit English class is "3 credit hours, 3 contact hours." Around here, a 3-4 credit dual enrollment class = 1 high school credit, so I'm going to call it a half credit. 

My dd took a 1 credit class at the local university. I listed it on her high school transcript, but marked it no credit - NC. Around here most 3 credit classes transfer to a half credit for high school and I didn't want to get into quarter credits.

Ouch only 1/2 a credit?   :glare: The kind of sucks for you guys.

I've lived in 6 states and I'm pretty sure that the standard for a 1 semester 3 credit course in all 6 is to award a full H.S. credit. So i'd definitely check out what local schools are doing since it obviously varies from place to place.

So for an 8 week (which is 1/2 of a standard College semester ) I'd give 1/2  of a credit for H.S.  If you're feeling kind of so-so about it find a few things, projects? to add on in the 2nd 8 weeks after the class is over.  Have him read articles maybe write up a couple papers.... Combine your grade to their grade.  In all honesty I might have my kid do the projects for fun but I'd let the 1/2 credit from the College stand.

• Like 1

Ohh, I really like this idea!  He would enjoy that part, too.  I agree with you that it just seems like awarding no credit is unfair!  He will be doing the college thing and needs to get something for that on his transcript.  I am just wavering on the 1 credit versus 1/2 credit.  Thanks for the help!

Hot Lava Mama

You could do a "block style" schedule the 2nd 8 weeks, where he spends 2X the time on the class (projects/papers.... whatever) then give a full credit.  Since he'd be working a significant amount of free time on projects any way you might as well count it.

I would give half a credit.

I can see giving a full credit for an entire semester course at college. This is half a semester, so half a credit - unless it was a semester equivalent 3 credit hour course that was compressed into an 8 week session.

ETA: In advising, we often run into the problem of students completing 8 week CC courses that cover half of what a university semester course would cover. So, they are required to compete two consecutive 8 week sessions for, say calculus 1, to receive credit for one semester of calculus 1 at university.

One 8 week session covered only half the material.

Edited by regentrude

It's worth a whole high school credit.

The credit that the c.c. gives it is sort of irrelevant. I gave all the students in my umbrella school a full year's high school credit for every c.c. class they took.

even for CC classes that only took half a semester?

Our local schools offer 1/4 high school credit for each college credit hour.  So a 1 credit college course would be .25 credit here.  FWIW, based on my oldest dc's freshman-level classes at the CC, I thought that the work load seemed about right for that system.  A 3-credit college course didn't seem to involve as much as a full-year high school course, but it was certainly more than a half-year course. 

Most people seem to give 1 high school credit for each 3 credit (semester) or 5 credit (quarter) class.  So if this school is on the semester system, 1 college credit translates into 0.33 high school credits.  If it is on the quarter system, then the 1 credit class translates to 0.2 high school credits.

Our local school districts list what they award for our local dual credit classes. So, we've just followed their example.

3 credit classes (half a semester) = 1/2 high school credit (examples, Federal Government, State Government, Accounting, Psychology, etc)