Menu

Meet In Person! UPDATE: PIX. In South-Central PA

Garga

9 members have voted

1. 1. Closed--the date has been picked.

Oh good! I was pretty sure you were kidding, but you never know. And it bring up a good point that when we meet again, we'll probably all disappear from the gym at some point and should pop out a sign in case someone shows up late looking for us.

Oh, for everyone else--and I forgot to take off the WTM letters from the church door and then it locked behind me. The youth group meets in the gym tonight. I'll pop by and see if the letters are still up and if the youth is trying to figure out what it all means. :)

They might think it's related to Pokemon Go or something...

• Like 4

I just know I would have loved meeting you all. You are all of "my tribe" in the humor department.

It sounds like it...

...but we cannot be fully sure without a little test:

Upon hearing Reg's anecdote about how a woman down the street from us recently killed an elderly woman in her care, carved up the body and then used a barbecue grill to try to eliminate the pieces of "evidence", you would respond by:

A) Expressing horror about such a terrible crime.

B ) Ask us in a very concerned manner about how we can raise our family in a neighborhood which is clearly not safe.

C) Proceed to make a series of jokes about the culinary aspects of the crime while laughing hysterically.

D) Console us by telling us that the accused is innocent until proven guilty and that maybe she didn't actually do it.

(Sorry, Quill, but you missed this little nugget because you were late.)

• Like 4

It sounds like it...

Upon hearing Reg's anecdote about how a woman down the street from us recently killed an elderly woman in her care, carved up the body and then used a barbecue grill to try to eliminate the pieces of "evidence", you would respond by:

B ) Ask us in a very concerned manner about how we can raise our family in a neighborhood which is clearly not safe.

C) Proceed to make a series of jokes about the culinary aspects of the crime while laughing hysterically.

D) Console us by telling us that the accused is innocent until proven guilty and that maybe she didn't actually do it.

Hehe

• Like 3

I am such a bad ugly troll woman.... :lol:

Not really.  I first took it as a joke when I read it, but then wondered about the traveling aspect and the fact that it could be truth.  I figured it was easier to pull back from thinking it was true than it would be to make someone feel even more awful by incorrectly assuming it was a joke.

And besides, those of us who are now doc free need a good stress test now and then.  I assume I passed.   :coolgleamA:

I finally remember what in the world I was talking about trolls for!

It was before we ever first met and the discussion was about how do we all know we are who we say we are? And something about internet trolls came up--the people who try to stir the pot and make up stories. And there were jokes about how maybe none of us are actually homeschool moms (or dads!), but we're all a bunch of old guys sitting in our parents' basements causing trouble online: ugly old man-trolls.

Well... technically I gave up being a homeschool mom four years ago.  Now I just get online occasionally to cause trouble, so...

Oh, for everyone else--and I forgot to take off the WTM letters from the church door and then it locked behind me. The youth group meets in the gym tonight. I'll pop by and see if the letters are still up and if the youth is trying to figure out what it all means. :)

I could have so much fun with this...  Might have to try something similar at school sometime and see what sort of creativity lurks.

It sounds like it...

Well, if anyone gets this question wrong knowing I was there, they sure don't know me very well.

Today is such a crappy health day (for me) here (glad it wasn't that way yesterday!!!) and I'm still working on getting through it by, uhh, expressing horror.  Yeah, that's it.  Expressing horror.   :closedeyes:

• Like 2

In the spirit of:

"What's Heard in Littlestown Stays in Littlestown?"   :lol:

I wasn't going to name any names or anything.  But then you went and posted this:

Well, if anyone gets this question wrong knowing I was there, they sure don't know me very well.

Today is such a crappy health day (for me) here (glad it wasn't that way yesterday!!!) and I'm still working on getting through it by, uhh, expressing horror.  Yeah, that's it.  Expressing horror.   :closedeyes:

:grouphug:  I'm sorry to hear you are having a bad day today.  The Guheerts have been praying for you.

Right.  Horror.  That's what I remember! :tongue_smilie:

• Like 2

:grouphug:  I'm sorry to hear you are having a bad day today.  The Guheerts have been praying for you.

Thanks.  It's not all bad (overall).  I have certainly learned to be a ton more compassionate from this (entire) experience, so some good has come of it.  Prior to that I was far more of a "Pick yourself up and quit bawling" sort of person/mom.  I blame that on the way I was raised, but still...  (Maybe it made my kids better soccer players?)

And by having a really bad day now, I'm hopeful I can get through the weekend without one.  Really good days tend to follow really bad ones (when the "bad" breaks - can be more than one day), so there's that hope for the weekend too.  Bad ones are going to happen - such is life apparently.  At least having them come when I'm at home with nothing going on beats the alternatives.

Gotta look at the positive side.  Too much real horror not doing so.

It sounds like it...

Damn! See? That's what I get for prioritizing my son's educational future! Now I don't know what you're talking about!

But I think I would pick choice C.

• Like 4

Damn! See? That's what I get for prioritizing my son's educational future! Now I don't know what you're talking about!

Let's just say if Reg's neighbor is inviting us all to a BBQ, we're not going.  And if they come to a church potluck, we've decided we're not hungry.  

(Both scenarios might have been made up based upon the story we heard.  I'm sure if Reg started a thread on here about it, it would probably take a vastly different path than the one we took.  I think that's pretty equivalent to matching a student to a curriculum.  Match Boardies to thread paths.)

• Like 5

You are on the right track. I said "C" and they offered me a plane ticket.  :lol:

• Like 4

Here's one of the early news stories on the incident. (I'm not sure why that page is not paywalled.). There are no pictures, but it covers most of the details except for the barbecue part.

This paywalled link has enough details included in the provided text to cover the barbecue portion of the story.

It's truly a sad and bizarre story. MomsintheGarden refuses to tell the children about it since we walk by this woman's house nearly every time we go for a walk n our road.

Oh my gosh. Your anecdote reminds me of this scene in the movie "Fried Green Tomatoes."

Knowing you all, I would likely fall into category C.

That's exactly what I was thinking as well!  (The movie was good, but the book is SO much richer and better.  If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it.)

I'm so glad that you weren't actually wandering around looking for us, Liz CA, although I'm sorry we didn't get to meet you!

• Like 4

RegGuheert: Big ugly man-troll and thread killer! :tongue_smilie:

Gee, wasn't that meetup cool! :o

Based upon what we've shared, I don't know if folks are more interested (or intrigued) with coming to future events or backing off slowly and deliberately giving us our space.   :laugh:

• Like 3

You are allowed to attend next time ;)

:lol:

Hi! I sent you a PM, but I'm not sure if you got it. So, trying to reach you by quoting you. In the pm I asked you about those history writing prompts and the lab table.

• Like 1

Move along.....there's nothing going on here... :lol:    

Ok fine.  I'll pack up and move along today!

Time to escape the heat wave anyway, so there...  :tongue_smilie:

I expect it to be over by the time we get back, so someone on the weather committee had better take note.  This is the first time I've had to show our farm/critter sitter how to run our AC.   :glare:

I selfishly want another one planned. Will have to wait a full year?

We seem to naturally plan them about every 6-8 months. It seems to be about that long for us to start missing each other and wanting to get together again.

I expect Feb or March for the next one.

• Like 1

Not a full year. I say we wait until at least mid February. Then you can all get a baby fix again from my little one due in January.

Y'all wait until mid Feb and it's highly likely I won't be around.  Just as we're going ROTC now with the heat wave (ROTC - 60s/70s version - Run Off to Canada), we miss the sun and head toward it in Feb.

This, of course, depends a little on middle son not depleting our finances with med school interviews, but we can travel south very inexpensively so odds are that we won't be around.

Late Oct or early Nov could be fun.  Mid Jan could work.  Late Jan - mid March are iffy because we tend to like to help Feb make up for being the shortest month of the year for so long... We feel sorry for it.   ;)

I'd suggest a mid Feb meet up in the sun kissed south, but I know finances won't allow many to make it.  We didn't get away for as long in Feb when our kids were younger either - though for their first few years we lived in FL... so escaping during the summer was far more important.  Grandma helped with that fortunately!

Edited by creekland