Menu

Whole 30 for rebels starting NOW!

38carrots

Because rebels always start things on the second of the month? Who wants to join me?

Or jump in on the 3rd!

I've been thinking about it for years, and I'm finally ready. Yogurt will be hard to give up. I love cheese, but not as crazily as plain yogurt!

I'm off to the store to treat myself with some komboucha and herbal teas.

• Like 3

I'll follow along. I'm not doing Whole30, but it's a similar plan developed by a local trainer. This may help me stay accountable. Right now I'm dying for a Dr Pepper, which is my weakness.

So glad you joined! You can do it!! Will drinking a couple of glasses of iced water with lemon help?

I will not be joining but I will cheer you on. I've done a few whole30s and they are wonderful. Right now I'm just working on logging allmy food daily, which is 80% whole30 compliant but I still drink and have a sweet treat if I can afford the calories.

• Like 2

I will not be joining but I will cheer you on. I've done a few whole30s and they are wonderful. Right now I'm just working on logging allmy food daily, which is 80% whole30 compliant but I still drink and have a sweet treat if I can afford the calories.

That's where I'm at, too.  I have added in plain yogurt and occasional cheese, but other than that I'm pretty compliant. Also logging food every day - what an eye opener!  Oh, and if I have calories at the end of the night I'll have a glass of wine, although I'm starting to think that might be a bad idea.  I may cut that out next week.

• Like 2

I just finished my 4th one yesterday.  BUT.  The past three days have been bad.  I have given in to soft pretzels (plural) and beer (plural).  And I can feel it in my stomach and can see it in bloat.  Back to strict Whole30 Round 5 starting today right there with you.

4th one, so 4 months of Whole30? How did it you like it?

4th one, so 4 months of Whole30? How did it you like it?

I started the first Monday in January and just kept going.  Until this past Friday.

I love it.  I feel like a different person.  And my eating habits were DREADFUL before hand.  As in I couldn't tell you in which decade I had last eaten a vegetable.

I lost about 15 lbs the first month.  Only 5 since then.  Would love to lose 10 more, would be ecstatic if I could lose 20 more.

The hardest part for me was all the time spent in the kitchen - not just the cooking but the cleaning up.  We ate out way, way too much before I started this and that is what I missed the most. 

And I will be honest.  The first two weeks are hard.  It would be so easy to give in to temptation.  Don't.  Keep going. 

• Like 1

I was going to do it this month...then I found out that I am going to be in a baking competition in early June. I applied due to family pressure, never expecting to qualify, and..surprise, lol.

So, I am guessing this isn't the best month to do a whole30.

• Like 4

I started today as well! I'd hoped to start yesterday but I couldn't find enough time to be fully prepared. I'm headachy today...probably from not having my usual latte this morning!

This is my third Whole30 and I'm hoping to find some new go-to recipes. I love the Sunshine Sauce from Well Fed...and the Whole30 cookbook's red pepper sauce mixed with Well Fed's mayonnaise... Those are both so good on roasted vegetables, chicken, etc!

• Like 1

I started yesterday officially.  I had been doing it mostly last week, but allowed myself a junk day on my birthday, and restarted yesterday.  My girls are mostly doing it with me.  Two are whole hog, one is just doing no sugar/dairy and mostly no grains.  Tried to get dh on board but he got cranky and quit before he even started.  

Our favorite snacks are roasted pumpkin seeds.  The girls like to put curry powder on them.  Dd roasted some cashews in coconut oil that turned out surprisingly delicious.  

Breakfast has been veggies (potatoes, peppers, onions, mushrooms, and/or sweet potatoes) and Aidelles sausages.  

Dinner tonight was good:  shrimp, peppers and onions cooked fajita style over lettuce, with salsa and avocados.

• Like 1

So I ate cheese. It was a good day otherwise. No sugar at all, that was easy, as I'm used to no sugar. But then I made a cauliflower crust pizza for the kids and they didn't want all of it, so I ate a rather tiny slice. I'm not being too hard on myself as it was a very healthy pizza otherwise ha-ha, and a very small amount.

I'm pleased with how it went, but no more cheese! So today was a 0 say. Tomorrow is Day 1 for real.

I had two eggs for breakfast and a berry smoothie (then I read that I should not have had it in a smoothie form, but this is something I am okay with "cheating" since my eating habits are quite good. My big thing is eliminating dairy and sugar and eating mindfully.)

I had an arugula / avocado / cucumber / tomato salad with no dressing (avocado is provided the oils, I guess.) for lunch. I wanted to add sunflower seeds into it, but couldn't figure out if I could have them or not. I can, right?

And that slice of cauliflower crust pizza. They were small pizzas and I had a small sllice, so not like a huge amount.

Lots of herbal tea!

NO MORE CHEESE! lol

Ready to go to bed.

• Like 1

So I ate cheese. It was a good day otherwise. No sugar at all, that was easy, as I'm used to no sugar. But then I made a cauliflower crust pizza for the kids and they didn't want all of it, so I ate a rather tiny slice. I'm not being too hard on myself as it was a very healthy pizza otherwise ha-ha, and a very small amount.

I'm pleased with how it went, but no more cheese! So today was a 0 say. Tomorrow is Day 1 for real.

I had two eggs for breakfast and a berry smoothie (then I read that I should not have had it in a smoothie form, but this is something I am okay with "cheating" since my eating habits are quite good. My big thing is eliminating dairy and sugar and eating mindfully.)

I had an arugula / avocado / cucumber / tomato salad with no dressing (avocado is provided the oils, I guess.) for lunch. I wanted to add sunflower seeds into it, but couldn't figure out if I could have them or not. I can, right?

And that slice of cauliflower crust pizza. They were small pizzas and I had a small sllice, so not like a huge amount.

Lots of herbal tea!

NO MORE CHEESE! lol

Ready to go to bed.

Whole 30 is a detox program. To me cheese was absolutely unacceptable, but a smoothie was okay because it was the right foods. I had a really hard time with the huge meals. I was quite sick. I wound up having a light, protein heavy breakfast, apple chips as a snack, a salad with protein for lunch and a typical Whole 30 dinner. I still ate all of the right foods, but with slightly less protein and slightly more fruit. I still enjoyed all of the typical benefits because I was still detoxing. Most people complain about constipation which I did not have, and I truly wonder if it's because of my fruit intake.

Eta: All of my meals were at least 50% veggies except for my apple chips.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 1

I'll jump in! I did one a little earlier in the year, but have been feeling really crummy recently as I've been eating too many grains again. I don't really have issues with sugar anymore as sweet stuff, if I can even eat it, makes me feel ill nearly instantly.

My plan is to pretty much adopt a Whole 30ish diet for life. I will probably have some dairy here and there because I only do grass fed, raw and often local and I just think it has health benefits, and I'd like to do some sprouted grains on occasion, but I'm really thinking gluten is just not for me - my joints ache considerably when I have too much.

I probably won't get super strict til next week because I need to get back to the grocery store and do some food prep, but I'm definitely going to participate!

• Like 2

I don't have a favorite whole30 recipe. I do tend to roast a lot of vegetables and then eat them with fish or chicken. I discovered my kids actually like fish! I also found an awesome deal on avocados so I made and froze a bunch of guacamole. I make lettuce wraps with it which is one of my favorite lunches.

Whole30recipes on Instagram has a lot of great ideas.

I did well yesterday even with unexpectedly eating out for supper. I also got strep from my daughter. The mint chocolate chip ice cream my husband bought for her has been screaming my name, but it hasn't been too difficult to resist.

Edited by Rach
  • Like 1

I started on Monday - it was a BAD mistake to start before I had weaned myself off coffee. Monday was fine until evening. Tuesday I spent several hours in bed shivering under two duvets with a crashing headache. I was beyond the 'able to function' stage and it took me two coffees, two codeine tablets and several aspirin to return to more-or-less-human by evening. Soooo... the upshot of that is that I'll do the 'Partial30' - Whole30 with one coffee a day (a latte, black coffee makes me gag) although I'll work at cutting that out over time. I'm more interested in re-examining food habits than anything else - we already eat pretty healthily, I think.

A couple of meals that are working for me so far: green fish curry, chicken laksa soup, sweet potato frittata and a salad with baby spinach, tomato, avo, avo oil, nuts, smoked salmon and a hard boiled egg. I made mayonnaise with macadamia oil today which worked very well (usually I use sunflower oil and olive oil is too strongly flavoured). I needed a pre-exercise snack today and had a boiled egg mashed with mayonnaise and curry powder and sprinkled with nuts. Satisfying, but not the choc chip cookie I would normally grab when hungry and in a rush!

I started on Monday - it was a BAD mistake to start before I had weaned myself off coffee. Monday was fine until evening. Tuesday I spent several hours in bed shivering under two duvets with a crashing headache. I was beyond the 'able to function' stage and it took me two coffees, two codeine tablets and several aspirin to return to more-or-less-human by evening. Soooo... the upshot of that is that I'll do the 'Partial30' - Whole30 with one coffee a day (a latte, black coffee makes me gag) although I'll work at cutting that out over time. I'm more interested in re-examining food habits than anything else - we already eat pretty healthily, I think.

A couple of meals that are working for me so far: green fish curry, chicken laksa soup, sweet potato frittata and a salad with baby spinach, tomato, avo, avo oil, nuts, smoked salmon and a hard boiled egg. I made mayonnaise with macadamia oil today which worked very well (usually I use sunflower oil and olive oil is too strongly flavoured). I needed a pre-exercise snack today and had a boiled egg mashed with mayonnaise and curry powder and sprinkled with nuts. Satisfying, but not the choc chip cookie I would normally grab when hungry and in a rush!

You won't reap the full benefits of the Whole 30 this way. Have you read the book? I would break my coffee habit and then restart. Many people switch to tea.

• Like 1

Yes, I am aware of that, but I'm not really a 'believer' and am focused more on looking at food differently and rethinking how I eat, my 'fall back foods' etc. I have no health issues I need resolving etc (although sleeping better would be nice - see coffee issues!). I was thinking I may add a week or so at the end once coffee has gone. I promise not to claim it's Whole30 if I don't :-) I'm keeping a friend company so I don't want to stop completely now.

• Like 1