Menu

bunk beds, trundle beds, and a sleep walker

ktgrok

So, now that DH is onboard for trying for another baby, and NOT on board with my idea to put the crib in the closet, he is talking bunk beds. We found some lovely ones that have stairs, not a ladder, and he would put playground style mesh along the top bunk up to the celing to prevent falls (my younger one has a history of poor choices in life....daredeveil). The one i like has a trundle under the bottom bunk, so an extra bed in case of a sleep over, or if mom needs a quiet place to lay down with the baby, or if my DH is snoring. So perfect! Except....

The 6 yr old is a sleep walker. She has a tendency to get out of bed and wander out to the couch at night, or wherever. Last night I caught her again. She can "see", she never trips over anything, never walks into anything, can look at you, can follow simple directions, but is not REALLY awake. Would negotiating the stairs of the bunk bed be a total disaster in this scenario? We have a one story house so I don't know how stairs and night wandering in this type of state would work. 

If we don't do a bunk bed, we'd do a trundle. But I anticipate push back because then one child's bed is not "on display" and is hidden away all the time. Maybe he'd think that was cool, but it seems unfair somehow. 

Putting the 3 yr old in the top bunk is not an option, as he still sometimes wakes and wants me to lay with him. And by sometimes I mean several times a week, usually about an hour before we officially get up for the day. 

This is the style of bed we are looking at, but again, with some extra protection to prevent jumping/falling off the top. Probably mesh up to the ceiling. 

ATL-AB56702-2T.jpg?1427807407

Edited by ktgrok

Can you not get the bunk bed set with the trundle, call the top bunk the sleepwalkers 'bed', but have her actually sleep on the trundle for now? Safe sleeping, an extra bed for later, and she has a bed she can lay on for reading or playing and display:)

That is definitely an option, forgot to mention it! 

I am thinking that might be safest. i lose that extra spot to lay down, but maybe in another year or so she'll grow out of the sleep walking. 

We use a trundle in my girls room.  We keep it open all the time but not in the typical fashion.  The bottom bed is perpendicular to the top bed.  The bottom of the bed sit underneath the top bed so it doesn't take up as much floor space  but is available all the time.  Since dd is not tall enough to need the entire length of the bed, this works for her to sleep in without having to move it out more.

We primarily did this to maximize the floor space available in the room.  It also makes me feel better that if the kids are jumping around on the bottom bed it won't suddenly collapse if it's fully up (we have one that will pop up to the level of the top bed but has criss-crossing bars and springs underneath).

My DD11 has done quite a bit of sleepwalking over the past few years (much less in the past year or so, but frequently from about ages 7-10), and she has slept in a loft bed with a ladder the whole time. She can navigate the ladder while sleep walking with no trouble. She started sleep walking after she was already in the loft bed, so we knew from the start that the ladder didn't pose a problem for her.

Can you not get the bunk bed set with the trundle, call the top bunk the sleepwalkers 'bed', but have her actually sleep on the trundle for now? Safe sleeping, an extra bed for later, and she has a bed she can lay on for reading or playing and display:)

I like this idea.

If the preschooler has a double bed, like in the picture, couldn't you lie down with him?  Or could the siblings share, leaving you a trundle?

I would worry about the mesh, that it would be something that provided the illusion of safety, but actually encouraged kids to push on it, and could lead to tipping, or give way and let someone fall.  Maybe I'm not picturing it right.  

Our girls shared a bunk bed that was very similar to the one in your picture. We got a trundle to put underneath for versatility. My older Dd is a very heavy sleeper and we put her in the bottom bunk and my younger got the top bunk. They were 6 and 4 and my 4yo never had a problem with the top bunk. I like the idea of starting your younger one on the trundle and them giving the option of moving to the top bunk when ready.

Also, if your 3yo is excited about using and sleeping in the top bunk, it may end up lessening the need for you to come lay down.

Edited by lovelearnandlive

I would worry about the mesh, that it would be something that provided the illusion of safety, but actually encouraged kids to push on it, and could lead to tipping, or give way and let someone fall.  Maybe I'm not picturing it right.  

I'm not sure what is meant by playground mesh, but soft or flexible mesh would have me worried about strangulation hazards - even with small openings in the mesh, if it's flexible, they can get it wrapped around their neck. 

Harder mesh, I can guarantee that my kids would have gotten their fingers stuck in it, lol.

Whatever the type, they would not have been able to resist the temptation to purposely test its safety features. We had a bunk bed, and I think they were safer knowing that a fall to the ground was likely to hurt. 

But I also can't quite picture what you are talking about. 

I like this idea.

If the preschooler has a double bed, like in the picture, couldn't you lie down with him?  Or could the siblings share, leaving you a trundle?

yes, I just don't want to put him on the top bunk. The only downside with her on the trundle and him on the lower bed is it doesn't leave me a spot to lay down by myself, or with a baby. But not a huge problem. By the time it is an issue I could move one of the other kids to the top. 

Honestly, I'm really thinking she would be fine. She can walk over to a glass of water and pick it up and drink it, so she does see and navigate just fine. She's more awake than asleep, but doesn't remember it the next day, and often can't talk or communicate clearly. 

I might put some foam mats down at the bottom for a while, just to be sure. 

As for the mesh, it would go all the way to the ceiling, and be bolted into studs. The bed would also be bolted into studs on two sides. My husband is an engineer type and a fanatic for safety. Or he might just build a taller railing system or something. I've even seen some that look like castles, but the ventilation issue concerns me. seems it would be hot. 

I'm not sure what is meant by playground mesh, but soft or flexible mesh would have me worried about strangulation hazards - even with small openings in the mesh, if it's flexible, they can get it wrapped around their neck. 

Harder mesh, I can guarantee that my kids would have gotten their fingers stuck in it, lol.

Whatever the type, they would not have been able to resist the temptation to purposely test its safety features. We had a bunk bed, and I think they were safer knowing that a fall to the ground was likely to hurt. 

But I also can't quite picture what you are talking about. 

I'm not exactly sure myself, honestly. He seems to know what he's talking about...I think the stuff that you see on those indoor playgrounds like at fast food restaurants? Small mesh, pulled taut.