Menu

Can I use regular detergent in an HE washer?

We have a new HE washer from a few months ago. I have faithfully always used the HE detergent. But, I keep looking at my large bottle of regular Tide sitting on the shelf, being unused.

Has anyone successfully used regular detergent in the HE washers? Would I just use less?

Thanks,

Thanks everyone for the speedy replies! I came so close today to giving it a try. I certainly do not want to mess with the warranty.

It can be so difficult to find the HE detergent. Next time I see it, I need to buy two bottles!

I'll be the rebel. I never checked my warranty either. I have a whirlpool duet and they rec HE. I can't afford it. I've had my washer for 3-4 years and never had an issue. I would look for a low suds liquid. I use (looking both ways and whispering) SUN. It's 2.79 at Fred's. I use a very small amount, little less than 1/2 the recommended amount. My dh is a contractor and has awful smelly man clothes and I've never had a problem getting them clean and fresh.

If I could afford it, I would.

I have a Whirlpool front loader that I've had for 6 years, and yes, I've used regular soap in it, on occasion. I simply use 1/3 the regular amount and have had no problems. However, this has only happened when I was out of the HE and needed a load done. I've not done it consistently.

If you're wanting to find a good home for the Tide, I bet a women's shelter or mission could use it.

Why don't you just make your own HE laundry soap? I do. Just google homemade laundry detg. The recipe is basically borax, washing soda, Fels Naptha soap, and water. It's low-sudsing which is what HE soap is. I can make 2 gallons for about $2.00. I use 1/2 cup per load and it works beautifully in my front loader.

Ria

and I usually use regular detergent and have never had any problem at all. I do use a very small amount of detergent, even with a large load. I have a powder detergent now that specifically states it can be used in all types of machines, including high efficiency ones. For regular machines, it recommends 1/4 cup but 1/8 cup for HE machines.

Thanks everyone for the speedy replies! I came so close today to giving it a try. I certainly do not want to mess with the warranty.

It can be so difficult to find the HE detergent. Next time I see it, I need to buy two bottles!

Target carries Method, we buy a bunch so we dont have to go back. I thik Seventh Generation has an HE too.

This is my second HE set. (I gave my first set to my parents when we moved.)

I've used regular detergent when I didn't have HE around. You just have to use a teeny, teeny amount. Does your washer have a glass front so you can monitor the suds?

I kind of get a giggle out of the, "It will void your warranty!" argument. I think every manual says this but how do they know?? I mean, short of you calling them to come over with a washer tub FULL of suds and the bottle sitting there, how would they know??

Jen