Menu

Need suggestions for a "finger food" item

Seasider

My turn to bring snacks! Zero/reduced waste is a shared goal of this group, so I need some suggestions for true finger food items (no plates, no utensils). I know there are lots of things but I am drawing a blank. I don't want to resort to a plate of cookies, but that will be my default.

Edited by Seasider

A thin layer of hummus spread on a rice cracker, topped with cucumber slice, a few drops of olive oil, and a sprinkle of black pepper

Cherry tomatoes stuffed with half a basil leaf and a small cube of mozzarella (or skewers, if you have reusable ones)

Homemade granola bars

Mini muffins

You can buy the premade little phyllo cups and fill them with lots of things, sweet or savory--pudding, cheesecake filling, fruit salad, taco filling and toppings, chicken salad, mousse, etc

You can also buy premade chocolate liqueur cups that can be filled with mousse, fruit, sweetened whipped cream, cannoli filling, etc

Mini muffins, again, sweet or savory

Cook baby new potatoes and cut them in half, scoop them out and mash the insides with cheese, chives, sour cream and bacon bits, then put back in the shells to make mini loaded baked potatoes

Cheese straws

Sausage balls

butter mints

chocolate truffles

mini spanakopita or tiropita

whole strawberries

Use crescent roll dough, pizza dough, or pie dough to cut out circles, fill, and fold over to make small filled handpies (half-circle shaped), Cornish pasties, empanadas, calzones, fruit pies, etc. Alternatively, spread a filling or toppings on the dough or tortillas, roll it up, chill, slice in rounds, and make pinwheels. Puff pastry is good for this as well, and can be spread and rolled up like palmiers for a different presentation.

Sliders

Stuffed dried figs, dates, or apricots

stuffed mushrooms

Your favorite pizza or flatbread cut into small squares--we had a pear and blue cheese flatbread the other day that would be nice and different

Cut rounds of pie crust and bake (filled or unfilled) in mini-muffin tins for mini pies or quiches

asparagus spears wrapped with prosciutto

Edited by KarenNC
  • Like 1