Menu

Painting a cardboard box for a letter tray

MamaBearTeacher

i am currently trying to small things to make my life more aesthetically pleasing. I have looked for a perfect letter tray/inbox for my desk and have not found one. I currently use a cardboard box tray from the grocery store that I've had for years. You know the kind that was used for a dozen tomato sauce jars or something like that. It has printing on the outside. How can I paint it cheaply and non-toxically? I don't want the paint to chip off or cause my papers to get paint dust on them. I am thinking of painting the outside gray and the inside white. Or, if they have a cheap shallow wood box at Michaels with that is the right size I might get one of those and paint it but I don't know if they do.

I don't know about paint, but an alternative might be to apply some nice paper with Mod Podge.  My daughter and I once did that with a wooden tray from the craft store and it make a nice grandma gift.   The other nice thing about Mod Podge is that it will give a bit harder finish which might make the box more sturdy.  Not sure about that.  

Here is a link if you don't know what I'm talking about:  http://www.crafts-for-all-seasons.com/decoupage-box.html

• Like 2

Paint can warp cardboard, so it can be hard to paint cardboard and have it turn out nice.If you do decide to paint, it use an acrylic paint, and plan several thin coats, with dry time between. 

I agree with a previous poster that Modge Podge can work.

Shelf liner maybe a good alternative, but you will have to be very, very patient to put it on looking good.

For my husbands desk, I found a nice rectangular serving tray instead of a paper tray.

Edited by Tap
  • Like 1

If it were me:

I'd shy away from paint (doesn't always work well on cardboard) and would try using things I already have.

I like the look of cardboard so if there wasn't printing on the inside I might leave it alone. To cover print on the outside I'd use double stick tape and wide ribbon or scrapbook paper. I personally would cover printing with a strip just wide enough to cover the printing instead of trying to perfectly cover it edge to edge...sort of a striped effect.

Edited by happi duck
  • Like 1

If this is corrugated, it will take spray paint wonderfully. Read about proper application - once I learned how to use spray paint, I fell in love with it. Not really non-toxic in the application, but once it off-gasses it's inert enough, plus it won't chip.

I've found the wooden trays that Melissa and Doug toys come in to be particularly useful for these sorts of organization projects.

• Like 1

If this is corrugated, it will take spray paint wonderfully. Read about proper application - once I learned how to use spray paint, I fell in love with it. Not really non-toxic in the application, but once it off-gasses it's inert enough, plus it won't chip.

I've found the wooden trays that Melissa and Doug toys come in to be particularly useful for these sorts of organization projects.

I might do this outside. If I am new to spray painting will I be able to do the outside gray and the inside white? I wonder how much 2 cans will cost.

Is this at all what you're looking for? I'm wondering if there's something online we could help you locate.

http://www.amazon.com/Full-Size-Black-Tray-1/dp/B007PSHE9A/ref=lp_1069544_1_12/192-9937568-1417111?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1460317463&sr=1-12

I'm a bit lost by the grocery store description, sorry.

Exactly like this but a soft gray color.

I might do this outside. If I am new to spray painting will I be able to do the outside gray and the inside white? I wonder how much 2 cans will cost.

Small cans of paint are inexpensive - around $4 at a Michaels-type store, and don't forget there's always a coupon!

Painting two colors could be tricky. It would require taping off areas. Can you disassemble your box? it might be easier to paint one side white and the other gray, then reassemble.

• Like 1

I did something like that and just taped on some paper in a color I liked--I chose an astrobrights plain 8.5 x 11, and used as many sheets and tape as it took to cover the box. Probably a grey resume type paper would work similarly.

PS, I've also done 2 colors with paper covers by first doing one color and letting it overlap to other side, and then much more carefully doing the second color to end at exact edges, but doing just a single color is a lot easier, and, IMO, pleasing enough. And easy to change when it gets tiresome or soiled.