Menu

What is a good hostess gift for a Seder?

Carol in Cal.

Our hosts are quite observant.  Although I'm not sure that they are Orthodox, they do change out their dishes entirely for Passover, and follow the dietary guidelines.

So I am not sure what to bring for a hostess gift.  Obviously anything to eat is out of the question.  And I don't know kosher wines at all--can anyone recommend one that is KFP and really really good?

I was thinking maybe a package of those fancyish seasonal napkins, like these:  http://www.amazon.com/Michel-Design-Works-Hostess-Napkins/dp/B00NSJ2WIS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1460004258&sr=8-5&keywords=paper+hostess+napkins

Also, we are supposed to be there between 7:30 and 8 PM, and I'm told that the seder itself probably won't start until around 9.  How long would it normally last?

Thank you!

The Seder I had attended for one of my students took just short of four hours. It seemed like For.Ev.Er. The first year I did not realize to eat generously before hand. The later years, I was much less uncomfortable. Our non denominational community gatherings version of Seder is more like 1.5 to 2 hours, but it is more to expose people to different faith ideas. I have a feeling anyone Orthodox might even be offended at how casual some attendees are.

ETA: A nice nap during the afternoon can help as well.

Edited by EndOfOrdinary

Our hosts are quite observant.  Although I'm not sure that they are Orthodox, they do change out their dishes entirely for Passover, and follow the dietary guidelines.

So I am not sure what to bring for a hostess gift.  Obviously anything to eat is out of the question.  And I don't know kosher wines at all--can anyone recommend one that is KFP and really really good?

:lol:  :smilielol5:  :smilielol5:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

...........  :ack2: .

Yeah, don't go there.  Especially if you know they otherwise enjoy Fine Wine.  That part generally isn't a highlight of an otherwise delicious, albeit long, evening.

Flowers are lovely, the napkins are nice, a pretty cheese knife, that sort of thing.  And the advice to eat a filling snack is good.  Some go long (2 hours) and some go REALLY REALLY REALLY long. 

It's my favorite holiday.  :001_wub:

• Like 5

There are some excellent Kosher for Passover wines.

Here is a handy guide:

http://www.koshereye.com/koshereye-features/food-n-drink/935-best-wines-for-the-passover-seder.html#.VwY81r0pDqA

Wine has come a long way from the Manishewitz of my youth. Whatever you do, do not bring Manishewitz.

The full seder can be very long. There is a before and after the meal part. The after is quicker then the before part. And you get to drink a lot of wine.

Edited by kewb
  • Like 1

As KewB said, there are good, even great kosher wines out there.  She gave you a list.  If you live near a Trader Joe's they have some lower cost wines that are very good. If you want to go higher class, try wines from Israel (Dalton, Gamla, ETA Golan Heights) or Australia.  Herzog (in CA) make some high-end wines.

Napkins are fine, a fruit tray (not cut up; whole) with some specialty fruits would be nice, flowers are good but given before the holiday begins (before candlelighting), toys for the kids (lego, puzzles, games) are great as well.

The seder could be as short as two hours but more likely 4ish hours.  Do eat before you come; there is a lot of talking and explaining before you eat for real.  

Enjoy the experience!

Edited by YaelAldrich
  • Like 2

The Seder I had attended for one of my students took just short of four hours. It seemed like For.Ev.Er. The first year I did not realize to eat generously before hand. The later years, I was much less uncomfortable. Our non denominational community gatherings version of Seder is more like 1.5 to 2 hours, but it is more to expose people to different faith ideas. I have a feeling anyone Orthodox might even be offended at how casual some attendees are.

ETA: A nice nap during the afternoon can help as well.

I'm not sure I understand this.  The Seders I've attended always had many courses of delicious food!

A very good friend of a very good friend works for the Herzog winery, and we all get together socially. I've had the opportunity to sample many Herzog wines, both "Herzog" (the premium wine) and "Barron Herzog" (the value label) and both a quite good. it is CA wine, and in my case I like supporting locals (and a person I know).

Trader Joes (mentioned upthread) carries a line of kosher wines by Terrenal. They make a very good Malbac from Argentina. They also have a Tempranillo from Spain that is ridiculously inexpensive (about $5) that is very enjoyable. I have not had their Cabernet Sauvignon from Spain, but it gets good reviews. I'd call as in-store inventory can vary. 

Also, if I'm going to events where some or all of the crowd is Torah observant, I bring beer if I bring drinks, not wine. Way less nettlesome a choice as wine comes under very special requirements under Jewish law. Better not to go there IMO.

With secular-ish Jews I'd bring any of the above.

Bill

Yeah!  NOOOOO beer for Passover.  People bring it and it is kind of embarrassing.  It's chometz, the specific product  (leavened foods made with one of the five grains) we don't eat, drink, or even own, see, or benefit from over Passover   We've tossed it out our house into the garage bin below our apartment (smash, crash!!), or had to pour it down the toilet (glug, glug, cry!).  

Edited by YaelAldrich
  • Like 2

I've never been to a Passover that was hosted by an Orthodox family. I've always brought flowers. When we would go to Seder at my kids' great uncle's house, the Seder easily lasted four hours. My kids' dad always did a "family friendly" seder that lasted less than two hours. If I understood the rules a little better, I'd say that you should bring Passover Sangria, because that stuff is wonderful, but I also remember there were a million rules about the ingredients.  

The whole first part (sometimes hours long) does not involve actually eating very much of the food. A bite of horseradish here, a bit of parsley there, or whatever, but no actual food food for quite some time.

I guess I see it like most other religious ceremonies, like a b'nai mitzvah, or a wedding. If I happened to be starving I'd have a snack before going, but waiting an hour or two for a meal at an event seems pretty common.

I guess I see it like most other religious ceremonies, like a b'nai mitzvah, or a wedding. If I happened to be starving I'd have a snack before going, but waiting an hour or two for a meal at an event seems pretty common.

This makes sense and I'm sure many/most Jews think of it this way, but to a person who hasn't been to one it might sound like a dinner (passover dinner, or whatever), which is kind of misleading, at least for the first little while! :)

Yeah!  NOOOOO beer for Passover.  People bring it and it is kind of embarrassing.  It's chometz, the specific product  (leavened foods made with one of the five grains) we don't eat, drink, or even own, see, or benefit from over Passover   We've tossed it out our house into the garage bin below our apartment (smash, crash!!), or had to pour it down the toilet (glug, glug, cry!).  

Yeah, not for passover. At other times beer is easier. 

For a Seder non-food/drink items are safer if people are strictly observant.

No calls (yet) for me to "buy"chometz from friends. Tick tock.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 1

Bring matzah.  :) But make sure you either bake it :) so it's kosher (I am sure that would be quite an undertaking if you don't keep a kosher kitchen) or read label very carefully to say: "Kosher for Passover."

This is kind of said in jest since every Jewish person I ever knew was complaining about having too much matzah left over after the holiday.

• 4 weeks later...

Bring matzah.  :) But make sure you either bake it :) so it's kosher (I am sure that would be quite an undertaking if you don't keep a kosher kitchen) or read label very carefully to say: "Kosher for Passover."

This is kind of said in jest since every Jewish person I ever knew was complaining about having too much matzah left over after the holiday.

Want some matzah?   :laugh:

Actually I don't have a lot left this year, nor wine!  Yay for me!

• Like 1