Menu

College Search/Application List -- Am I doing this right?

LisaKinVA

We (cough, cough, *I*) am starting the research for LEGO Maniac's college applications.  We used the college match program (not sure how helpful that really was, but okay) at College Confidential.  He is currently looking at Engineering Programs (not sure which type yet, but looking at Mechanical/Robotics, aerospace right now), and Architectural Design/Engineering schools.  He is interested in possibly double majoring in Communications as well.

Score-wise we are anticipating an ACT composite of 34+, SAT scores of 1450+ (based upon PSAT, previous SAT, and the amount of prep work we are doing this summer).  National Merit is a possibility.

I have three "tiers"

Reach (I don't anticipate adding any more to this list):

Stanford

U Penn

Match (these were highest matches on the list -- but some in the last tier may move up, and I expect that he won't apply to at least one Academy):

USMMA

USNA

USMA

USAFA

High Merit Aid (there are no in-state "safeties" for us, it will cost DS more to go in-state than to most OOS schools, I expect this list to be where we most need to weed out):

ROTC programs...

GA Tech

University of Arkansas

Arizona State

U Pitt

University of Alabama

George Washington University

Right now, I'm just making a big list of schools that (at first blush) have the type of programs (generally) that DS is interested in (for example, I'm not putting a school with a "pre-Engineering" program on the list, or schools with only Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering.  Schools I know will be too expensive (based upon Merit Aid available/not available, Net Price Calculator, etc....which has ruled out VA Tech and LeTourneau, for example).  From there, we can start narrowing down based upon other factors (final decisions about which direction he wants to go, strength of the program, Net Price, swimming/waterpolo, just hates the idea/location/whatever of the school, etc.)  I'm also working on Pony Girl's list (Math, Marine Biology -- right now, her top choice is USNA, which has a joint program for Marine Bio, followed by Duke (reach), if she goes towards Math, I'll be even happier, because that blows her options way, way open.)

FWIW, we are not anti-loan for the right program -- but I am anti-$40,000+ in loans (Tech was over $70,000, and LeTourneau over $80,000).  We do qualify for Pell Grants (will range from $1500-$3500).  We do want a program with solid internships, job placement assistance, etc. -- so does this sound right?

Thanks.

So, am I on the right track?

I would make a longer list of schools that are possible with ROTC even if they aren't desirable without. I would keep VA Tech on this list for example, because it has a large ROTC unit in the Corps of Cadets.

I would put USNA and USAFA into the reach category. Your ds does have scores that make him competitive, but around 2/3 of qualified candidates are turned down, including some with high scores and grades. My sense is that the applicant pool for USMA differs slightly with fewer applying just because it's a top school with no tuition.

• Like 2

University of Alabama at Huntsville should probably be added, and possibly University of Michigan at Ann Arbor for Aerospace because with those scores he should get merit to help him out with OOS tuition as well as the fact that U of MI loves kids who have lived abroad which could be a hook.

The academies really should go into the reach category given their very low acceptance rates.

I agree with another poster that said VA Tech would be a good candidate as well.

Happy hunting!

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of Purdue.  It was a really good match with the ROTC scholarship and an additional institutional scholarship.  

Miami University (Ohio) has some merit aid that is tied to test scores and grades.  DS got a little over half of OOS tuition, which brought tuition slightly below list price for an in state student.  It has engineering, but also has a lot of other degrees, and might be a good place for a dual major.   http://miamioh.edu/academics/majors-minors/majors-by-subject.html Also has NROTC.

The approach we took involved a list of schools that would be possible if the ROTC scholarship was applied there and then some other schools that we could swing without the scholarship.  Because DS's goal is a Navy commission, plan B was that he would keep applying for 3 year and 2 year scholarships while participating in ROTC as a College Program student.

• Like 1

...He is currently looking at Engineering Programs (not sure which type yet, but looking at Mechanical/Robotics, aerospace right now), and Architectural Design/Engineering schools.  He is interested in possibly double majoring in Communications as well.

Two free tuition / half tuition schools with extremely small class sizes and high job placement after graduation:

Webb Institute, New York -- dual BS in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering

Cooper Union, New York -- both Engineering and Architecture programs

• Like 1

Georgia Tech is definitely not generous with merit aid for OOS. They DO have the Presidential Scholars program, but it is highly competitive.

The Academies are reaches for most people, I think. And Stanford is in the sub-5% acceptance range now, fwiw. :-) Has he thought about applying to MIT?

Do OU or University of Kentucky have the sort of engineering that he wants? They are both great financially if he gets the National Merit nod.

Check out the financial aid section of College Confidential and the thread with the list of schools known for generous merit aid.

It's hard to know what schools to recommend without knowing the rest of his story, as so many of the selective schools have holistic admissions, and consider much more than test scores.

• Like 1

Wow...thank you. I'm still building the list, haven't delved into the ROTC pool, yet. Good to know about Tech. Tech and Emory have a cool dual program, but if the financial aid isn't there, it won't work.

The Academies are technically reaches, so I'll move those. I knew about Michigan, but hadn't added it yet. DS is going to start their 6 course MOOC in Robotics on Coursera next year. He's pretty excited.

I've been over at college confidential a bit today, trying to pace myself, because there is so much I need to be doing besides this.

The Captain I was speaking to about USNA mentioned marine bio being a dual school partnership. I think Chemistry is the path they use for pre med, and marine bio. Not sure if it's a v-gep or concurrent, though. Another Captain said DD should add Coast Guard to her list. Looks like a lot of NY schools.

DS story isn't going to be anything really dramatic. Eagle Scout (renovating a dog park for US/international community), Lifeguard, competitive swimmer (team captain for maybe 2 years), track team (hurdles, 100, 200, 400), Robotics, Photography, CAD, several APs, some CLEP... OA Chapter Chief, probably Jr. Scout master, living abroad, and working fundraisers with his family. He is well liked, level headed, optimistic, and generally a great kid. Hopefully he'll be able to write some excellent essays (he is a good writer and speaker). I know his tech teacher will give him a great recommendation. Hoping his Physics instructor, swim coach, and either one of the Captains from Scouts or Swimming, or maybe an Admiral will, too.

I don't know how ROTC impacts admission but I just wanted to throw out an interesting personal story- a STEM kid we know with high stats just got into Stanford but wait listed at Ga Tech. He is OOS for GaTech.

There was a big brouhaha in VA over a kid who got into an Ivy League School and waitlisted at UVA, he was in state for UVA. Perfect SAT score. It happens, more than we thought.

Tech is an awesome school, but they do not have an aerospace or robotics engimeering major.

Good catch, I think I'm getting threads muddled in my head.

MTU does have mechanical engineering.  They have a minor in aerospace engineering available.  (Which is different from aerospace studies - a minor for students in Air Force ROTC related courses.)  Robotics at MTU seems to be a focus area under the Computer Engineering degree.  

I've found that there is a lot of variation from college to college on what computer degrees entail, what is electrical engineering vs computer engineering and where robotics related coursework goes.

And of course, there may be significant differences between what is listed in a catalog and what is actually available on the ground.

I don't think the University of Arkansas has aerospace or robotics.

Also, I know NOTHING about ROTC scholarships, but at Arkansas National Merit is only awarded $10,000 per year. Other merit beyond that (fellowships) is competitive. And, the fellowships have gotten ridiculously competitive. Ds's alma mater only had one student invited to interview this year. He did receive it, but he's also in at Stanford and some Ivies. Pretty sure he won't be taking it.

ETA: Arkansas DOES have a well-regarded school of architecture.

Edited by Hoggirl
  • Like 1

Embry Riddle in Daytona Beach has an amazing aerospace/astronautics engineering degree. They are expensive and have no idea how generous they are with merit aid. It seems like, if memory serves, they have very limited inetitutional scholarships and refer the student to a long list of outside scholarships one must apply for which can take a lot of time and effort. Still, the program is very good.

• Like 1

College research needs an easy button...

I'm up to about 50 schools to drill down for DS, and DD has about 25 (I need to look into swimming for her at the schools, and a couple are even easy "live at home" scenarios should we move to the Norfolk area -- an option not available for DS, his closest option is a 60-90 minute commute).

• Like 1

:grouphug:  :grouphug: :grouphug:  Lisa, I don't envy you having to do this from Italy. That's not easy. 

Chances are though that of that 50, 30-40 will be easy to eliminate for a variety of reasons once you use NPC calculators and especially or the schools that include basic merit aid calculations, and many other as well.

One thing to consider is the cost of travel. If you are going to be in Norfolk, will West Coast, Midwest,  or Far North schools be tenable if you have to buy plane tickets for every college break, etc.? To be honest, if home is going to be Virginia, I have to think that Virginia Tech and U of Alabama may be his best options. U of A both main campus and Huntsville are just super generous with merit aid in his score range and have banging engineering departments. Bang for the buck, they are a really good bet. So don't sweat it because I think that even if U of A is a "safety school" in his eyes, it is NOT a "plan B" or fall back or lower choice than something like the academies, MIT, Georgia Tech, Embry Riddle, Virginia Tech,  or U of MI. So maybe you can do some whittling down like saying, "Uhm son, we just simply aren't going to consider Cal Tech/UC anything, etc. because the cost of travel to and from California is just too much" or whatever, and take a few off your list that way.

MTU is awesome, but I'll be honest, it isn't easy to coordinate travel from. Plane tickets which operate to Detroit and then puddle jumpers to Sault Ste. Marie then puddle jumpers so small you practically have to flap the wings yourself :D  are not cheap flights. Just to put it in perspective, we live in Michigan, Mid-Michigan to be exact, and it is a nine hour drive to MTU. Nine! Middle ds applied to U of Rochester and was accepted. Had he attended there, I could get him to and from in seven hours cutting across Canada. So my kid could go to school in another state, across another country even, and be there sooner than our main tech school in our home state! From Norfolk you would probably have to drive him to Dulles where he would get a flight to Detroit, and then make all those connections to the tiny airport in Houghton. It would be about a 23 hour drive pending traffic and about $70.00 in tolls to go one way for you, and 10.5 hours farther north than U of MI which is easy to get to through DTW with many options for students to get to campus from the airport as it is only about 30 - 45 minutes away.

Also, remember that if he goes the direction of robotics engineering, U of MI has moved that program off to their Dearborn extension. He'd still absolutely have the U of MI diploma, its just that they are so cramped for engineering space on main campus that they now use automotive robotics labs at Ford and other companies for classroom space. They don't have dorms in Dearborn, just high priced apartments. They will help him find roommates if memory serves. It is an AMAZING program, world class, but not at all the same college experience as say Aerospace on the main campus. So something definitely to think about.

There is absolutely a lot to drill down into -- one reason he has so many more is because he is looking atI  two programs.  Only a few schools are really good at both.  We have to set aside some time in the next year to 18 months to really look at the short-term and long-term differences between the degrees/career paths.  That will easily eliminate 20 schools.

I'm from California, so he wouldn't have to come home every break.  He'd probably go stay with aunts/uncles/cousins or friends for Spring Break, Thanksgiving, and I could see a Christmas in there.  NO UC schools are on his list.  I think Stanford, ASU, and maybe one other school is out that way.  Most schools are east of the Missisippi.  My dh is from NW AR/SE OK, so if he goes to Tulsa or U of AR, again uncle, grandparents, dad's best friend are all out there.  Schools in TX, my aunt/uncle/cousins and my brother's in-laws, and we also have friends living there, too.  While I'm sure DS would love to come home, it's not always possible.  I went to school in VA, while my parents lived in so. Florida.  I didn't go home for Thanksgiving any of my three years, I didn't go home for spring break twice, had an internship between my 2nd and final year.  It wasn't the best -- but I survived.  I know he won't be coming back to Italy for Christmas 2018 (no way we'll be able to afford that), but he'll probably spend Christmas with his grandparents, uncles, aunt and cousins.

I'm hoping to get the list down to 20, Engineering is the one we have more to look at, there are more solid Architecture schools that offer excellent packages, etc. -- and where he'd be in the top 10% of the freshman pool of applicants.  That's at first blush -- this is a looong process (which I'm sure you're well aware). 

• Like 1

Lisa, since you are selling a house in Virginia that you lived in prior to the overseas appointment, and you will be returning to Norfolk following that stint, is there any avenue - given your husband is in a DoD related job - for appealing in state tuition? With Va Tech as an option, getting in state tuition would be a big help. Do you still pay income tax to the state of Virginia? I would think that if you do, then that would be one excellent cause for appeal.

At any rate with his stats and the added hook of having lived overseas plus eagle scout which a lot of schools look very highly on, I think he should get some pretty good merit aid. At least I would hope so!

Lisa, since you are selling a house in Virginia that you lived in prior to the overseas appointment, and you will be returning to Norfolk following that stint, is there any avenue - given your husband is in a DoD related job - for appealing in state tuition? With Va Tech as an option, getting in state tuition would be a big help. Do you still pay income tax to the state of Virginia? I would think that if you do, then that would be one excellent cause for appeal.

At any rate with his stats and the added hook of having lived overseas plus eagle scout which a lot of schools look very highly on, I think he should get some pretty good merit aid. At least I would hope so!

I think this is incredibly unlikely.  VA is a stickler about in-state tuition.  I know we had to pay OOS tuition even after living there for 10 mos with proof of home purchase and transferred to area due to employment.

I can't remember the poster's name (maybe something like Cindy in C'ville???) whose dh was transferred to NC, but they still had their house in Charlottesville and their dd ended up being considered OOS for both VA and NC.  (Vague on the details, but remember reading their story.)

I think this is incredibly unlikely.  VA is a stickler about in-state tuition.  I know we had to pay OOS tuition even after living there for 10 mos with proof of home purchase and transferred to area due to employment.

I can't remember the poster's name (maybe something like Cindy in C'ville???) whose dh was transferred to NC, but they still had their house in Charlottesville and their dd ended up being considered OOS for both VA and NC.  (Vague on the details, but remember reading their story.)

YIKES!

I vote in VA and have a VA driver's license, and am living outside VA due to military family status and orders out of the state.  VA Tech still decided DS was OOS.  

Property ownership and payment of property taxes is specifically called out as not compelling for in-state resident determination.  (The rationale is that all property owners must pay tax regardless of residency.)  We could possibly fight it, but I don't know what more I could provide them at this point.  Our neighbor down the street is in almost the exact same situation.

• Like 1

I don't know how ROTC impacts admission but I just wanted to throw out an interesting personal story- a STEM kid we know with high stats just got into Stanford but wait listed at Ga Tech. He is OOS for GaTech.

Georgia Tech's acceptance rates keep dropping:

http://www.news.gatech.edu/2016/03/12/tech-admit-rate-drops-25-percent

They were never much of a safety, but even in-state plenty of applicants with the stats got rejected or wait-listed.

For those who are looking, I've found they expect about 10 college level classes (DE/AP/IB), and they seem to prefer that students take college level calculus before applying, i.e. junior year.  They don't have Ivy level acceptance rates, but do seem to have Ivy league expectations.

Georgia Tech's acceptance rates keep dropping:

http://www.news.gatech.edu/2016/03/12/tech-admit-rate-drops-25-percent

They were never much of a safety, but even in-state plenty of applicants with the stats got rejected or wait-listed.

For those who are looking, I've found they expect about 10 college level classes (DE/AP/IB), and they seem to prefer that students take college level calculus before applying, i.e. junior year. They don't have Ivy level acceptance rates, but do seem to have Ivy league expectations.

Our ds was accepted a couple of yrs ago and the avg student had 9 college level classes (as a data pt, he took BC in 10th), but they offered $0. It would have been full freight OOS. Immediately dropped from his list.

Acceptance is only a fraction of the process.

• Like 2

it might be easier for DoD or military rather than private citizens. 

I do know someone DoD in Germany who has kept in state in VA. 

Edited by Diana P.
  • Like 1

But not very impossible... see Post #41 

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/stanford-university/1873356-stanford-2020-regular-decision-results-thread-p3.html

IMO, STEM + Female = Good chance!

I know more than one STEM female, my daughter among them, that just got rejected from Stanford. It was her only rejection!

2350 SAT, 4.0, senior level comp figure skater, varsity cross country running team captain, competitive mountain runner that completed 24 mile unsupported wilderness race that included crossing a glacial river as a 16 year old, and just got back from competing in Nordic skiing at Junior Nationals as a representative of our very low population state (geographical diversity). Oh, All State violin, employed as both a figure skating coach and church pianist, and math completed through Calc 3 with high "A"s. Future plans are humanitarian work, and she has done significant ongoing volunteer service, some 2000 hours worth during high school. Despite her online- braggy mother ;-), she is exceptionally humble, deeply spiritual, and you'll be hard pressed to hear her crow about her accomplishments.

BUT, all that and not good enough for Stanford ;-) I'm not complaining; I've learned there are really SO many remarkable kids out there, and it's no small thing for the colleges to choose appropriate candidates.

• Like 5

Gr8lander, sorry about the rejection and I don't think you were braggy at all. 

I totally understand when you try to help others, sometimes more personal info will come forth. 

To me, those are useful info which serves to inspire and helps me to see that there are more than 1 way to excellence.

You know and I know your DD is good enough for Stanford!

• Like 1

Honestly, I have no clue if we will be considered VA residents or not. We do file income tax in VA, but will soon not own a home there. We are registered voters in VA as well, but that, too can be meaningless.

My daughter's interest in Marine Bio won't be much of a consideration anywhere, because that field has lots of women. If she happens to change her mind to math, physics or chemistry, she would be much more unique. She enjoys manipulating equations...so we'll see how Physics goes next year.

I read so many incredible profiles of kids applying to these schools and not getting in, it does make me wonder why we should even bother.

DS is getting excited about the college choices. Notre Dame's architecture program sound exciting, and their study abroad in Rome is especially fitting -- he should have AP Italian under his belt his senior year! Webb institute also made him light up. My husband is arranging a meeting with a graduate who is stationed here. He definitely does not want to attend USMA or USAFA. Perhaps being surrounded by Navy has poisoned those wells a bit...ha!

Thank you all...I've given ds the long list, he's supposed to look at one school online a week, and we are supposed to discuss it. Pushing some of this off on him, but I have to research, too to play devil's advocate.

Honestly, I have no clue if we will be considered VA residents or not. We do file income tax in VA, but will soon not own a home there. We are registered voters in VA as well, but that, too can be meaningless.

My daughter's interest in Marine Bio won't be much of a consideration anywhere, because that field has lots of women. If she happens to change her mind to math, physics or chemistry, she would be much more unique. She enjoys manipulating equations...so we'll see how Physics goes next year.

I read so many incredible profiles of kids applying to these schools and not getting in, it does make me wonder why we should even bother.

DS is getting excited about the college choices. Notre Dame's architecture program sound exciting, and their study abroad in Rome is especially fitting -- he should have AP Italian under his belt his senior year! Webb institute also made him light up. My husband is arranging a meeting with a graduate who is stationed here. He definitely does not want to attend USMA or USAFA. Perhaps being surrounded by Navy has poisoned those wells a bit...ha!

Thank you all...I've given ds the long list, he's supposed to look at one school online a week, and we are supposed to discuss it. Pushing some of this off on him, but I have to research, too to play devil's advocate.

I think the income tax will be a really compelling point.  It will be weighed against working outside VA.  I don't know how they consider expats, but if its a civilian job for the military, that may help.  

http://www.schev.edu/students/vadomicile.asp

• Like 1

In our experience with applications during this past season we found that declaration of residency was a confusing topic.  Having applied to multiple schools in the same state, we discovered each had an independent decision on residency.  Therefore, some schools considered dd in-state while others declared her out of state.

My best advice is to line up your arguments for residency.  The questions we thought pertinent-driver's license, voter registration, ownership of a vehicle (registration and payment of any taxes/fees), filing a state tax return (not paying taxes but having a reason to file a return and doing so), income earned in state (or while residing in state-ie for VA working in DC but living in VA), and there may have been a question about real estate ownership but I don't remember. 

• Like 1

I've been working our "big list" -- finding it a waste of time to even look at Private Christian Colleges with Engineering -- every one of those is coming back with NPC's (after their biggest Merit award) as over $20,000 a year, with the suggestion that parents take out loans to cover the difference!?!

Beyond that, I've also been finding that most of the best money requires Early Action Applications...do people really put in multiple EAs?

We did 9 EA! It is non binding and it was great to get them all done and earlier decisions. I will plan with later kids to do EA as then we had scholarship and honors applications to do and it was great to get the applications done. One school had a scholarship weekend in January so EA was necessary.

Early decision is another animal altogether.

We did one ED (because she was sure on that one if she got in) and two EA, figuring it would be nice to get good news right away if the first place didn't work out.

Aside from the important scholarship possibilities, I think it's really nice to get as much done early in senior year. If there had been more possibilities with EA available dd would have done more EA applications.

It's really nice to have the application process done by November and getting answers before Christmas. Most of dd's friends spent the holidays stressed over figuring out where to apply and completing essays.

I've been working our "big list" -- finding it a waste of time to even look at Private Christian Colleges with Engineering -- every one of those is coming back with NPC's (after their biggest Merit award) as over $20,000 a year, with the suggestion that parents take out loans to cover the difference!?!

Beyond that, I've also been finding that most of the best money requires Early Action Applications...do people really put in multiple EAs?

Cedarville, back when dd applied, suggested we take out a mortgage on the house, which A. assumed that we had that much equity to borrow $45,000-$60,000 again the house, B. that this would even be a wise thing for us to do, and C. when I asked what we were supposed to do for her younger brothers since we'd have taken all of the equity out of the house, "get a better job lady" was the response. Not impressed with their financial aid reps.

If he is thinking mechanical engineering, and IF he can land one of their rare 75% scholarships (their largest scholarship and if memory serves, they only hand out about 6 of them per year - dd got the half ride), then maybe Cedarville would work for him.

Cedarville, back when dd applied, suggested we take out a mortgage on the house, which A. assumed that we had that much equity to borrow $45,000-$60,000 again the house, B. that this would even be a wise thing for us to do, and C. when I asked what we were supposed to do for her younger brothers since we'd have taken all of the equity out of the house, "get a better job lady" was the response. Not impressed with their financial aid reps.

If he is thinking mechanical engineering, and IF he can land one of their rare 75% scholarships (their largest scholarship and if memory serves, they only hand out about 6 of them per year - dd got the half ride), then maybe Cedarville would work for him.

I might consider trying, IF he really wanted to go there. But, it's currently on my list to research as a financial safety...so not worth the effort. I think he'd love Cedarville, or LeTourneau, or Taylor...but he's not even going to consider it at $20-30,000 a year. Especially when he could go to over 30 schools for closer to 5,000 a year or less.

Right now, he is loving his options with USNA, Webb Institute, Notre Dame, U. Miami, U of A, U of A Huntsville, and more.

In our experience with applications during this past season we found that declaration of residency was a confusing topic. Having applied to multiple schools in the same state, we discovered each had an independent decision on residency. Therefore, some schools considered dd in-state while others declared her out of state.

My best advice is to line up your arguments for residency. The questions we thought pertinent-driver's license, voter registration, ownership of a vehicle (registration and payment of any taxes/fees), filing a state tax return (not paying taxes but having a reason to file a return and doing so), income earned in state (or while residing in state-ie for VA working in DC but living in VA), and there may have been a question about real estate ownership but I don't remember.

My daughter went to boarding school for high school. One in state college had no issue and offered in state rate. The other in state college said I had to appeal to get in state tuition. Not only do I own my house but we live in the same town as the college.

Yes.  DS1 tried to hit every EA that was an option.  He didn't do any Early Decision.  

A couple schools didn't have EA, but had an earlier date for priority consideration for merit aid.  

For DS2, I'll be encouraging him to complete almost all of the admissions applications in early fall.  Nothing seems to ruin a good Thanksgiving holiday as much as hanging applications.  I don't think students get much wittier or more qualified for delaying their applications until January.

The exceptions to this will be schools that want to see first semester DE grades and will only consider the application one time.  Those may be held until grades are available in December depending on the school's deadlines. 

What I found frustrating was the fact that schools that had had applications before Christmas still sometimes took until March or April to give an acceptance or rejection.   

• Like 2

So...a quick update on what I've been doing.

Thanks to everyone here (and special thanks to 8...), I've gotten my big list down to just reach schools that DS is truly interested in:  USNA, Webb, USMMA, Notre Dame, Duke and Stanford.  With the CSS Profile issue and the inclusion of our LQA, we still fall under Stanford's 100% Meet Need, and I began a conversation with Notre Dame who has assured me they look at the whole picture and things are very much not cut & dry when it comes to figuring out aid.  Our financial safeties are:  U of A, O of A-Huntsville, U Miami, U Kentucky, Louisiana, U Michigan, Mississippi, Davidson, U Pitt, Clemson, UVA,  and Washington & Lee

We'll take another look at the big list and this list after his final test scores are in next fall.

My oldest daughter's list is both similar and dissimilar ;)

Reach:  USNA, USCGA, MIT, Woods Hole, and Duke.

Her financial safeties include:  Liberty (double major in math/Biology with teacher licensure in math, bio, chem and physics -- undergrad + M.Ed math specialist in 5...she would arrive with all of her gen ed requirements and several major requirements done, and she's a great fit for their D1 swimming program); U Miami, U of A, UMW (because she could live with my parents), and ODU (especially if we're in Norfolk by then).  

Her list is a lot shorter -- I also think she'll have an easier time being accepted.  Her high school transcript is already shaping up very nicely and she's just an 8th grader.  She reserves the right to add/subtract from this list after our trip next year...haha!

I feel much better ...LEGOManiac will start his "virtual tours" and talking to departments this summer.  PonyGirl started today (LU...she's a Legacy there, haha!)

Edited by LisaK in VA is in IT
  • Like 3

I knew about Michigan, but hadn't added it yet. DS is going to start their 6 course MOOC in Robotics on Coursera next year.

Would you mind sharing a link to that course? I have a ds interested in robotics too, but I don't see one from Michigan on there. Thanks!

I think it's only fair that you should get in state VA tuition! Maybe you could write your state reps in the General Assembly?

Edited by Grantmom

Would you mind sharing a link to that course? I have a ds interested in robotics too, but I don't see one from Michigan on there. Thanks!

I think it's only fair that you should get in state VA tuition! Maybe you could write your state reps in the General Assembly?

I went back to look for it, and I must have been mistaken!  I see one by UPenn.  

• Like 1