Menu

Learning to Read?

alansrock

What do you recommend? I have 4-yr old twin boys and I have been using Learning to Read in 100 Easy lessons but the lessons seem to be a little too advanced for them. Looking for something that is a little more basic.

I have been thinking of using Spell to Write and Read or the Bob Books.

Thanks!

Jami

Jami,

I would start with the Get Ready, Set and Go for the Code books as well as a pre-school learning to write book (Handwriting Without Tears has a Pre-K book that is done with crayons).

With children who are 4 they may not be developmentally ready yet, so feel free to back off and not do much of anything.

Heather

The LeapFrog Letter Factory and Talking Words Factory DVDs are GREAT!

My ds was three when he learned his letter sounds because of them! We followed up with Phonics Pathways because it was cheap and straight-forward. I ordered Bob books last week because Phonics Pathways gets a bit boring and doesn't feel very rewarding. I'm hoping ds will get excited when he reads his first books!

Wow, twins! How cool!

How about the LeapFrog videos (Letter Factory and Word Factory).

The videos will help them memorize the letters and their sounds, and introduce blending, all fairly effortlessly.

If you want to try Spell to Write and Read, I'd suggest doing only the preschool activitives in the book, not any of the spelling lists or the log with 4 year old boys. However, unless you plan on continuing with SWR, it's not worth the money for just the chapter on preschool stuff.

My boys know the letter sounds as they actually learned them from the Letter Factory video. Just trying to find a method for the whole word thing to click with them! Lots of great advice so far, keep it coming please!!!!! And even if the advice is to try something else or back off that is ok too. It's easy to want to push them to do everything now before they are ready!

My boys know the letter sounds as they actually learned them from the Letter Factory video. Just trying to find a method for the whole word thing to click with them!

Do you have Word Factory as well as Letter Factory? If not, give it a try.

Just as Letter Factory is great for learning letter sounds, Word Factory is good for exposure to blending letter sounds into words. I think that blending letter sounds into words is something that has to "click" in the child's brain, but lots of exposure to the process can help it click sooner.

My almost 4yo dd is an eager beaver in the area of learning to read. What I have found that has helped tremendously is the Leap Frog Fridge Phonics set. We have both upper-case & lower-case letters. It ties in nicely with the SWR methodology--which I use very loosely. One of her favorite activities is to sound out words (with my help, when needed) and spell them on the fridge while I'm cooking dinner, etc. We have been doing this for several months, and she now is able to sound out most 3-letter words that she sees in books or that she hears. We are also working slowly thru the Bob books. Since she is so young, I haven't used a "formal" learn-to-read curriculum. Right now I'm just trying to keep it FUN!

Don't buy a thing!! Play games!!

Scrabble tiles. DC puts a vowel and you put a consonant on either side. DC sounds it out. Then you put a vowel and DC puts the consonants, you sound it out. Keep track of score on the board for more fun. Foam letters and magnets work well with this too. You can also put one letter down at a time to really get the left to right sounding out going.

Go fish you can play this with letter cards, or word cards. You say "do you have a /t/ sound? and if the other player has a word with that sound... You can do this with rhyming words too. Do you have a word that rhymes with... ? This will work all the way through any sound you are teaching. Make the words from the OPG list into cards and have fun.

Bingo works well with sight words, words you know they can read, or sounds.

Fishing whatever words you are working on are written on some fish made out of construction paper. They have paperclips for mouths. Make a fishing pole with a magnet on the end. When you catch a word, you have to read it, or the fish gets thrown back.

DD learned how to read with games and only games.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

We use Montessori Read & Write as a pre-school level to SWR. The two methods do not totally agree (and in some aspects completely disagree) so I've had to make some adjustments. IMO, though, MRW does an excellent job of fleshing out what I feel is a much needed primer level to SWR. The pre-reader chapter in SWR didn't provide enough structure or activities to help me. The sound game, my favorite activity in MRW, teaches the child how to distinguish the different sounds in a word using oral games. Because of this game, dd can now spell any CVC word and some slightly more complicated words using the movable alphabet. Good luck finding something that works for you and your boys!

Edited by Lisa in the UP of MI