Menu

A math question (or, am I crazy?)

ILiveInFlipFlops

what grade level??

We haven't gotten this far yet, so I am tapping the archives, but I believe  you just multiply the fractions.

2/5 of 2/7 is 2/5 * 2/7  or 4/35

ETA: skipped a step

original length was 2/7=10/35

original length minus part removed= 10/35-4/35=6/35   

thanks to poster after me for reminding me I skipped a step!!!!

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 2

OK, that's good enough. Thank you all! That's what both DD and I came up with, and that's what the answer key originally said was correct. However, the list of errata on the Singapore site had me change the correct answer to 4/35. So now their errata need a list of errata!

I love Singapore, but I feel like there are so many errors in the books. I needed a reality check on this one.

I appreciate the help  :thumbup:

• Like 3

2/5 * 2/7 = 4/35

10/35 - 4/35 = 6/35......maybe.  I teach English. :D

I'm a language-oriented mom teaching math to an arts-oriented kid. It's not been an easy path :lol: I've always said I was comfortable teaching through algebra, and then I'd need help. And now that I'm close to algebra...I think I may be out of my depth! I'm having to relearn everything in order to teach it. 

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops
  • Like 2

I'm a language-oriented mom teaching math to an arts-oriented kid. It's not been an easy path :lol: I've always said I was comfortable teaching through algebra, and then I'd need help. And now that I'm close to algebra...I think I may be out of my depth! I'm having to relearn everything in order to teach it. 

I find the wording of their word problems confusing as heck.  I don't know if I'm dense or what. 

• Like 3

I agree, but I think that's probably intentional, to really make the student work to understand the problem and sort out the parts. At least, that's what I'm telling myself!

I don't know if that is intentional.  I've often wondered if it is because they are foreign books.  There are some nuanced language differences.  Years ago I bought this super mega pack of logic puzzle magazines.  They threw in several British books.  I sometimes got tripped up on wording even though it is essentially the same language.

That's what I tell myself.  LOL

I have tons and tons of word problem books from all sorts of places and the SM ones are the only ones I had that kind of hard time with.  I don't even use them with my second kid.  I had enough of those books. 

• Like 2

No you're not crazy. We've come across a few errors as well though I must admit I tend to not use the answer guide too much where I'm already comfy with the work.

I live Singapore but my kids hate the way it's written. We've only got one more year to go though so I don't want to switch now.

• Like 1

Word problems that have no real world context make my head spin.  Why would you have 2/7 of a meter of something?  How would you know it was 2/7?  I've never had a meter stick that was marked off in sevenths . . . 

I was working with a student today, not on Singapore, but we kept hitting word problems that said things like:

Johnny went into his family's garage.  He saw screwdrivers, nails and garden rakes.  He made a graph of what he saw . . . 

OK, first of all, who goes into their garage and makes a graph of what they see?

Secondly, did his garage only contain those 3 random items?  Did he really own 12 screwdrivers and no screws, just nails?  4 garden rakes and not one shovel?  Or did he just graph his favorite things?  

• Like 10

Word problems that have no real world context make my head spin.  Why would you have 2/7 of a meter of something?  How would you know it was 2/7?  I've never had a meter stick that was marked off in sevenths . . . 

Yes I hate that too.  That problem isn't too terrible, but some of them.  What the what what.  "Gina is 5 years older than her dead pet hamster, how old is Ralph's sister?"  I don't know, but I now hate Gina, her dead pet hamster, Ralph, his sister, AND now math.

Edited by SparklyUnicorn
  • Like 12

I was working with a student today, not on Singapore, but we kept hitting word problems that said things like:

Johnny went into his family's garage.  He saw screwdrivers, nails and garden rakes.  He made a graph of what he saw . . . 

OK, first of all, who goes into their garage and makes a graph of what they see?

Secondly, did his garage only contain those 3 random items?  Did he really own 12 screwdrivers and no screws, just nails?  4 garden rakes and not one shovel?  Or did he just graph his favorite things?  

Yes I hate that too.  That problem isn't too terrible, but some of them.  What the what what.  "Gina is 5 years older than her dead pet hamster, how old is Ralph's sister?"  I don't know, but I now hate Gina, her dead pet hamster, Ralph, his sister, AND now math.

:smilielol5:  :smilielol5:  :smilielol5:

• Like 1

I haven't laughed so hard all month. Thanks guys! I don't usually get tripped up with the details like you're saying above, but my kids sure do. I see where they're coming from now.

• Like 3

Word problems that have no real world context make my head spin. Why would you have 2/7 of a meter of something? How would you know it was 2/7? I've never had a meter stick that was marked off in sevenths . . .

Johnny went into his family's garage. He saw screwdrivers, nails and garden rakes. He made a graph of what he saw . . .

Secondly, did his garage only contain those 3 random items? Did he really own 12 screwdrivers and no screws, just nails? 4 garden rakes and not one shovel? Or did he just graph his favorite things?

Johnny needs to have a yard sale.

• Like 3

He sold all his screwdrivers, so what does he need with screws?!

It's a moo point :D

No he has one left! Of course, doofus that he is he'll probably keep the Phillips heads and buy the screws for a flat head.

The more important question is: If Doofus Johnny wastes a whole day on a yard sale, full of visitors who track mud all over the carpet, and still doesn't end with the tools he needs to fix the disposal, how many nights will his husband Fred make him sleep on the couch?

• Like 5

No he has one left! Of course, doofus that he is he'll probably keep the Phillips heads and buy the screws for a flat head.

The more important question is: If Doofus Johnny wastes a whole day on a yard sale, full of visitors who track mud all over the carpet, and still doesn't end with the tools he needs to fix the disposal, how many nights will his husband Fred make him sleep on the couch?

Ah, word problems for our modern society :lol: 

• Like 2

He won't be getting any screws until he stops sleeping on the couch. Because he's stubborn like that.

• Like 1