Menu

I thought I'd come to the experts!

AmyontheFarm

Hello PreK Hivers,

My great niece will be in my care part days starting tomorrow until Sept.  She has to go to school in Sept, this is not an option and I'm not happy about it but I can't change this either.

She can't count to 10 yet, can only sing theme songs from TV shows.  Has basically no motor control with a pencil or crayon.  Doesn't know colors or shapes.

She can put on her velcro shoes and do the buttons up on her coat.  She is potty trained and handles things well herself.

I think I should be starting from the beginning but here's the thing.  I didn't start homeschooling until my kids were older.  So, I'm a tad lost here.

If you were handed this case, what would you do?  What resources would you use and what blogs, etc would you read up on.

I would start with Wee Folk Art, adding in math going nice and slow (MEP Reception, maybe?)  I'd do the WFA to encourage working with colors, motor skills, memory work, and learning to listen to books.  I'd do it FIAR style, reading the same book at least 2-3 times that week as you cover a different craft or activity each day.  The pictures in MEP would go nicely with WFA and help teach to count and recognize numbers gently.

Aside from that, I'd probably invest in the Developing The Early Learner books.  They have simple enough activities, but they help you see where there may be issues to work on.

• Like 1

Will she be starting Kindergarten in September, or PreK 4? 

I thought the PreK HWT with the flip crayons was nice (didn't love buying the teacher's manual though), but before my kids could do K-level work they liked those Kumon books and the I Can Cut/Paste/Color series. It's hard for me to even tell you how they learned their letters, colors, numbers before they went to school or did those workbooks... I'm sure it was just from being around me but I don't remember teaching them. I think there's a good chance she'll pick up a lot from you just from being there... but if older kids are there "doing work" you might want the workbooks on hand for her to do work at the table if she'd like.

Edited by tm919

MFW preschool activity cards and lots of Melissa & Doug toys.  Read alouds or audiobooks while she plays.  Lots of play.  Weave everything into play. Let's count our necklaces while we dress up!  How many cookies can you eat in our pretend lunch?  How many candles on our pretend b-day cake?  On and on.

Read nursery rhymes to her.  

Take her to the park every day and play.  She needs to climb and play and get strong.  If you have time or funding for it, take her to swim lessons or kiddie gymnastics.

• Like 1

Hello PreK Hivers,

My great niece will be in my care part days starting tomorrow until Sept.  She has to go to school in Sept, this is not an option and I'm not happy about it but I can't change this either.

She can't count to 10 yet, can only sing theme songs from TV shows.  Has basically no motor control with a pencil or crayon.  Doesn't know colors or shapes.

She can put on her velcro shoes and do the buttons up on her coat.  She is potty trained and handles things well herself.

I think I should be starting from the beginning but here's the thing.  I didn't start homeschooling until my kids were older.  So, I'm a tad lost here.

If you were handed this case, what would you do?  What resources would you use and what blogs, etc would you read up on.

Does she need physical therapy? I am not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean she can't write, or that she can't hold a pencil period?

Children at 4 don't write very well. They also don't all color in the lines. This is perfectly developmentally correct. ETA: If you have the money you can get her triangle crayons to help with pencil grip. I got some for my younger son and they were less then $4 at Staples. Triangle crayons force children to hold the crayon correctly (provided you show them the right way from the beginning). 

I think by just creating an environment that is strong in the areas she is weak in she will pick it up. Have music on in the background, no TV, LOTS of time to color with books or printouts, occasional talk of colors, shapes and counting when appropriate. I wouldn't worry about the tying for shoes yet at this stage either. It would be gravy if you could get her to do it. I have a 7 year old that refuses to learn though. 

Since she is going to public school you need to keep it light, it will be hard enough once she goes there in the fall. I wouldn't look at a curriculum per say in your situation, just lots of what you likely did with your own children.

Edited by 3 ladybugs

Will be 4 at then end of this year. In Ontario, Canada it's called Junior Kindergarten.

So she's newly 3? I would relax a little bit. Most kids don't have great fine motor skills at 3. My dd attends a preschool program for 3-4 year olds. Out of 15 kids, only 4 can write their names recognizably. Most don't even come close.

Counting, letters, numbers, etc. are not necessarily skills a young 3 needs. I would focus on learning through play and read aloud. I wouldn't put a lot of pressure on this young of a child. Isn't PreK for learning those skills?

• Like 1

I second the mfw activity cards mentioned above. I bought them after ohE recommended them in another thread. They are really great for keeping things fun, and they allow the child some choice within a structure. They are not religious in case that is relevant for you. They include fine motor work, but if you wanted more you could add the Kumon tracing/pasting/cutting books. That plus copious read alouds would be my first choice.

If you don't go with the activity cards, mep reception would be good for math skills. It's fun and interactive rather than workbook based. Memoria press has a Jr. K craft book that corresponds to the read alouds. It looks like fun, but I haven't used it. It was my tentative plan before I learned of the activity cards.

If you're worried about her fine motor, then I would do a lot of intentional play and crafts with this kid. It sounds like she is...3? I don't think its serious, but the little's in our family tend to have pretty good fine motor because they all use ASL as a language since various types of hearing loss and Deafness are genetic. If digital media is allowed, then only offer edutainment when you would put on a cartoon.

As for "background knowledge" can you just go to the library and take out books on PreK themes and skills such as counting, animals, alphabet, colors, etc on a regular basis?
Talk about the books that you take out. Each day, read an ABC and 123 book with her. If she will sit for more, then read more. If she will only sit through a few pages, then discuss those few pages. Often the discussion is more valuable for the PreK kid than the book itself. It invites them to search the page, point, respond to questions etc.

Tell and retell her traditional/common folk tales as well as family stories and stories that are made up on the spot.

In our extended family, story telling is a BIG deal. Kids get told stories orally/manually all.the.time and they learn to tell stories too.

I didn't answer earlier as I thought she was four so more remediation was needed. This is a three year old though.

I second the suggestion of swinging, climbing, balance-biking. Strength, outdoor play, water play, play-doh play, and letter and number exposure through read-alouds and number awareness in real life like "look two birds!"

Puzzles.

Bedtime math and read alouds for number and letter awareness as needed. Colors in real life. Where's your red shirt? Do you want the BLUE cup, the RED cup, or the YELLOW cup?

Oh, and lots of finger painting. Lots. On huge butcher paper. And then a bath.

Bath crayons are fun for little fingers as well.

She'll be in a classroom soon enough. Let her explore the world.

• Like 3

Given that she's three I would read to her a lot. Let her play with play dough, do puzzles, help you cook. Let her have lots of free play but be intentional in pointing out colors and shapes. When you are serving lunch, have her help you count how many plates you need. Developmentally she sounds like an average three year old, it's a fun age, enjoy sharing the world with her.

• 3 weeks later...

Another good one for finger dexterity is beading - get the big beads so that she can be successful with it and lacing (sewing) cards.  Totally age appropriate but helps with fine motor skills.  Do fingerplays and nursery rhymes with her as well (itsy bitsy spider, etc.).  Have her help you with chores - matching socks, folding napkins or towels, counting out forks/ spoons and setting them out, etc.  

Just engaging her in conversation or talking through what you are doing (now we are going to add the water to the pot and turn on the stove, etc.) and reading aloud to her will help her vocabulary.  You could even have a special tea time with her where you share favorite books and family stories and she helps "make" the tea and set the table and maybe even make some easy treats (spread the butter on the toast), etc.  Let her do her best and she will have GREAT memories of this time.  

Enjoy this precious time you have been given with her! 

• Like 1

Do activities to build fine motor - play dough, lacing cards, sensory boxes with tweezers. Maybe pick up one or two things from a teacher supply like this: http://products.lakeshorelearning.com/search#w=Fine%20motor%20

My kids loved the button drop from lakeshore learning. You could easily make one, too.

Search Pinterest for ideas on letters and numbers. Get some wipe clean alphabet books and dry erase markers (don't push them just make them available). Leap frog letter factory DVD was a huge help for my kids too.

Read lots of books and play. :)

Also, have a look at the article Math and the Young Child--don't worry too much about counting, worry about recognizing quantities (but only casually and through games anyway!)

And, if you want ideas for other activities that will serve her well, the book Growing an In-Sync Child might be fun--check your local library!

And yes, lots and lots and lots of outdoors--digging, climbing, crawling, poking, prodding, studying, running, playing...

Mud, mud, glorious mud!