Menu

Universal Orlando, etc.

CAMom

Hi All~

Dh is attending a conference in Orlando in April and wants ds (10) and I to go with him. He and ds are really into Harry Potter right now so we will be doing Universal at the end of the conference. We'll be staying at the Omni in Championsgate.

Ds and I will be on our own Monday thru Thursday morning.

Can you tell me how this sounds:

Monday - hang out at the hotel and use the pool. We'll be tired from the long travel day on Sunday and the change of timezone from the west coast.

Tuesday - Legoland. We've been to Legoland in CA several times since we only lived an hour from there when we lived in CA but we haven't been in at least 4 years and ds says that's what he thinks he would like to do. We had Disneyland passes for a few years so we don't feel the need to do Magic Kingdom and we have been to Epcot before.

Wednesday - Downtown Disney (I think it's called Disney Springs in FL?). We can plan to see a movie, eat at the TRex restaurant and wander around.

Thursday - hang out at the pool in the morning and see what dh is up for in the afternoon and evening. 

Friday - Universal with dh. Dh and ds want to visit both parks to get their full Harry Potter experience. Is that doable in one day? They don't care all that much about the other areas. Should I suggest one more day to dh or would the crowds on a Saturday in April make it miserable? Another option could be to start at Universal on Thursday afternoon and continue there on Friday if dh is up for that.

Does this look like a decent plan? Any changes you would make or suggestions for something different?

I'm guessing the weather in mid-April will be somewhat mild? :)

Thanks for any input!

Two days min. at Universal and many times there is a "buy 2 days, get a 3rd free" which would allow for a more leisurely visit and not a rushed, gotta fit it all in fast trip.

When are you going in April?

Legoland has cheap homeschool days on Mondays.  $12.50 per student and $25 per adult.

http://www.legoland.com/globalassets/florida/pdfs/education/home-school-calendar-jan-dec-2016.pdf

I would opt for Legoland on Monday for the rates.

Tue a relaxing day of pool and Downtown Disney (it won't take more than a couple of hours)

Wed-Friday Universal, even if your DH can only join you Thur afternoon/evening and all day Friday.  You could even opt to go in late on Thur with him.

My .02

Universal is great and we love the HP section.  We can hang out there most of the day and just go back and forth between the two HP worlds.

ETA:  Just re-read your OP.  You could also just do Universal Thur-Sat.  The crowds are more on Saturday, but honestly, not unbearable.  I don't know when you are going but Spring Breaks are early this year, late March-early April.

Here is a crowd calendar:

http://orlandoinformer.com/universal/crowd-calendar/#apr

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 2

You can do the two Harry Potter parks in one day as they are not very big (mind that you need a park hopper ticket to ride hogwarts express--nice one Universal).

If $ is not an issue (I know those park hoppers are expensive), I would spend two days at HP world because we do some things repeatedly and love it so. I also have no interest in Disney so my Orlando days are all HP, all the time :)

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 2

Personally, I would skip Legoland as it is geared for 10 and under. I would also skip Disney Springs unless your son loves to shop for Disney merchandise. The Lego store there is cool, however. I would also skip the full day at the hotel. The lazy river and pool at the Omni is nice and all, but not an all day attraction.

Monday: Animal Kingdom. Also think about the safari package.

Tuesday: Discovery Cove. Do the Trainer for a Day package.

Wednesday: combine Disney Springs with the Omni amenities.

Thursday: Universal. One can easily do both parks in one day.

• Like 2

If you can swing the cost of ONE night at a Universal premium onsite hotel (Hard Rock,Portofino, or Royal Pacific), you can get TWO days (check in day and check out day) of benefits that will make your park ventures much more enjoyable:

• SKIP THE REGULAR LINES with Universal Express SM Unlimited ride access* in both theme parks - a FREE benefit worth up to $89 per person, per day^(valid theme park admission required)
  • Early Park Admission to The Wizarding World of Harry Potterâ„¢, one hour before the theme park opens† (valid theme park admission required)N

Note that you would still need to purchase your admission tickets.

I'm quite the pennypincher but I wouldn't do Universal without these benefits. 

Edited by Pegasus
  • Like 3

Thanks!

We will aim for Monday for Legoland and I'll see if I can convince dh to spend two days at Universal. :)

Just remember if you want the HS passes, you need to sign up a few days before.  YOU don't have to pay until you go.  We signed up once and couldn't go last min.  It was fine.  But your name needs to be on the list.

And looking at the site now, the 3rd day is free if you buy 2 day tickets.  So you could just keep that 3rd day open.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1

For Disney Springs, we really enjoy going early evening.  Parking is free.  We walk around and listen to the various bands, an occasional store or two and have a nice meal.  We ate at the Boathouse last weekend.  YUM!!!!   Go a little earlier and catch a movie.  Spend that day at the pool or something before you go.  

Edited to add:   Universal's City Walk charges $20 to park as it is the same parking as for the theme parks.   City Walk is similar to Disney Springs.  

Edited by zimom
  • Like 1

If you can swing the cost of ONE night at a Universal premium onsite hotel (Hard Rock,Portofino, or Royal Pacific), you can get TWO days (check in day and check out day) of benefits that will make your park ventures much more enjoyable:

• SKIP THE REGULAR LINES with Universal Express SM Unlimited ride access* in both theme parks - a FREE benefit worth up to $89 per person, per day^(valid theme park admission required)
  • Early Park Admission to The Wizarding World of Harry Potterâ„¢, one hour before the theme park opens† (valid theme park admission required)N

Yes to this. I have not and would not attempt the HP world without early entry/priority line.
  • Like 1

Personally, I would skip Legoland as it is geared for 10 and under. I would also skip Disney Springs unless your son loves to shop for Disney merchandise. The Lego store there is cool, however. I would also skip the full day at the hotel. The lazy river and pool at the Omni is nice and all, but not an all day attraction.

Monday: Animal Kingdom. Also think about the safari package.

Tuesday: Discovery Cove. Do the Trainer for a Day package.

Wednesday: combine Disney Springs with the Omni amenities.

Thursday: Universal. One can easily do both parks in one day.

We've been to Legoland CA several times. I gave him the option of which park to do and he says that's the one he wants. I'll show him more about Animal Kingdom and see what he thinks. 

We've been to Disney Springs once before and been to Downtown Disney in CA lots and lots of times. He's definitely interested in lunch at the TRex restaurant. We've eaten there once before. And, if we also decide to see and movie and buy a souvenir, that should take a good chunk of our afternoon, I think.

I'll see what I can talk dh into! Great advice! :)

Just remember if you want the HS passes, you need to sign up a few days before.  YOU don't have to pay until you go.  We signed up once and couldn't go last min.  It was fine.  But your name needs to be on the list.

And looking at the site now, the 3rd day is free if you buy 2 day tickets.  So you could just keep that 3rd day open.

Perfect! Thank you!

I went in August. We stayed at Cabana Bay. Early park admission is included, but not unlimited express. I paid extra for unlimited express to be added to our tickets. For us, 3 people over age 14, that was cheaper than staying at the more expensive resorts like Hard Rock. Cabana Bay was the only Universal resort that had refrigerators in room, which due to allergies was a need for us as well.

Note that unlimited express does not apply to all rides. Specifically, it does not apply to some of the more popular HP rides. There you will need early admission which is available through Cabana Bay.

Get the Universal app too.