Menu

Building one's dream house

amyinva

Pocket doors on the bathrooms.

Pocket doors almost everywhere!    Closets especially.   

Although we'd regretted the pocket doors in DD's closet.   While she was still napping but in that not-always-needing-a-nap stage, she would sometimes go into her closet and create a huge mess.   Pocket doors are lockable but the hardware is more of a bother.  

Think of handicapped accessibility for the future. Much easier now to put in wider doors, a walk in shower, etc. Even if you don't think you will need it now, even a broken leg in the future will make you appreciate it....as will elderly relatives, etc.

Yes -this.  Think about a dual master - one on the ground floor, one upstairs (if you do have an upstairs).  This way, you can grow old with your home if you have an issue where you can't climb stairs as easily.  If you make the shower a walk in without a lip (there are a lot of houses that I've seen doing this and it looks very nice) and a wider entrance, if you sell, you can market it at universal design which makes it an easy sell for a family who has someone in a wheelchair or just needs a little help getting around.

My mom recently hada small bathroom put in on the main floor, and wanted a pocket door.  The designer told her that many people don't like to do their business in toilet-rooms with pocket doors - they feel insecure.

Yup. I'm that way. Doesn't help that I was walked in on by my friend's little brother when I was a kid. I like real doors on bathrooms, thank you. 

• Like 1

My mom recently hada small bathroom put in on the main floor, and wanted a pocket door. The designer told her that many people don't like to do their business in toilet-rooms with pocket doors - they feel insecure.

Why would you feel insecure?!

The one practical drawback of pocket doors is that you can't have a light switch on that wall where the pocket is. Otherwise we would have a bunch of them.

• Like 1

In my experience sometimes those locks don't catch properly. I had locked it when someone walked in.

We had some in my home growing up and the same issue. In the remodel the pocket door was removed and a normal door added back in. For a pantry or closing off an office they can be great, but on bedrooms or bathrooms they don't feel right. In an extremely small home I could see it but this was a 2400-ish sq foot home with generous space around each doorwa. Pocket doors were silly :)

We're in the "dreaming" stage now. My dreams include:

* A screened porch off the kitchen. With ceiling fans. Retractable screens are ok but the room is non-negotiable.

* NOT an open plan. One huge kitchen/dining/living room looks nice but I think it would be really impractical for us. I like the idea of a kitchen with an eat in area, and a cozy den where we can hear each other our watch a movie not on volume 2000.

* one story

* handicap accessible (or at least wider than normal door frames, etc - I have a bad hip)

* LOW MAINTENANCE

* pocket doors or French doors everywhere (I like them and space saving)

* natural light. Lots and lots of it.

* master NOT off the kitchen (wouldn't that smell?? I see it in plans a lot)

* smaller than normal master bath. I don't need a HUGE area to take a shower and dry off. Some are insane!

* laundry access from master closet, or IN the master closet (we'll be empty nesters a couple years after we build)

* a nice carport. It seems a garage gathers STUFF and I want less stuff.

* gear storage in the pantry (I love small appliances)

* a safe room (tornado)

* and now that I'm an adult... A great foundation, drainage, sewerage, roof, run off controls, slope, etc.

• Like 1

We had some in my home growing up and the same issue. In the remodel the pocket door was removed and a normal door added back in. For a pantry or closing off an office they can be great, but on bedrooms or bathrooms they don't feel right. In an extremely small home I could see it but this was a 2400-ish sq foot home with generous space around each doorwa. Pocket doors were silly :)

I do like pocket doors in other places.  The house my great-grandmotherlived in had a dining living area that was quite large and divided by huge pocket doors - they were very beautiful and made of wood. When they were open it made an enourmous room that could be used for dancing or parties.

• Like 1

* A screened porch off the kitchen. With ceiling fans. Retractable screens are ok but the room is non-negotiable.

* NOT an open plan. One huge kitchen/dining/living room looks nice but I think it would be really impractical for us. I like the idea of a kitchen with an eat in area, and a cozy den where we can hear each other our watch a movie not on volume 2000.

* one story

* handicap accessible (or at least wider than normal door frames, etc - I have a bad hip)

* LOW MAINTENANCE

* smaller than normal master bath. I don't need a HUGE area to take a shower and dry off. Some are insane!

* laundry access from master closet, or IN the master closet (we'll be empty nesters a couple years after we build)

* a safe room (tornado)

* and now that I'm an adult... A great foundation, drainage, sewerage, roof, run off controls, slope, etc.

Many modern houses really over-do the bathrooms I think, and sometimes the closets.  Not only are bathrooms a lot of work to clean, they are really expensive space.  And when you have a walk in closet and bathroom for every bedroom, square footage and cost go up quickly.

• Like 2

* one story

* LOW MAINTENANCE

* a safe room (tornado)

We have an open floor plan and the noise sometimes drives me nuts. No walls + all hard surfaces (low maintenance) + huge windows/sliders (lots of natural light) = echo/reverberation.

However, we made sure to have "away" spaces which complement the openness well. The TV is upstairs in the game room, and we have a library too where school happens. With French doors! (however I'm not seeing how French doors are space saving... they take up a lot of floor space imo)

And yes, our master bath is a nice normal size, not like in our last house where we called it the 5th bedroom.

Bathroom:

a roll out drawer cupboard for tall laundry basket.  It's awesome.

Vanity cut out space for me to do my hair and make up.  The cabinet above that space has a door with a mirror inside.  There is an outlet in the cabinet for my hairdryer. I have seen them in drawers as well.

One set of cabinets for my linen closet has a regular cabinet on the top and a bank of drawers on the bottom. There are 5 I think, all fairly shallow. That allows me to organize each drawer for a specific purpose.  First aid is all in one drawer. Heating pad, rice packs etc, in a 2nd drawer.

Upper corner cabinet in my kitchen has shelves, but then a carousel in the center of the shelf.  That allows me to stack cans on the carousel, but also put taller things in the corners of the shelves. 

Recently I was in a friends new house.  Butler pantry was amazing.  It had a sink, microwave, and storage for all those appliances that are messy. Waffle iron, blender, etc.  Lots of counter space, so she could do the messy stuff in there, and just come out and serve her kids or guests and it wasn't seen.

Costco closet AKA walk in pantry , would be a must for me if I was ever building again. 

Building a Brand New house, is much faster and much easier (and not without problems).  Remodeling is much more complicated and takes longer. Be patient and do not live in the house while it is being remodeled. Especially, if the Kitchen or Bathrooms are being remodeled. GL

Building a Brand New house, is much faster and much easier (and not without problems).  Remodeling is much more complicated and takes longer. Be patient and do not live in the house while it is being remodeled. Especially, if the Kitchen or Bathrooms are being remodeled. GL

QFT.  We are 3 1/2 years into a remodel and I've given up.  I don't think, unless forced, that I will ever do this again....remodel while living in it.

It seems a few of you mentioned more creative laundry room placement... I really like having it off the kitchen because, where am I all day anyway? I would not want to go upstairs every time I want to switch out the laundry.

I am putting the laundry in the first floor because if we build this will be our "forever" home, and I want to be able to shut off the upstairs and live downstairs when we are old.

Our bedrooms and bathrooms will all be very nice but small. How much space does one need to sleep? But I will have a little living area outside the bedrooms upstairs, for reading, homework, whatever. I will have a walk in closet because our work clothes are numerous and complicated, lol.

• Like 1