Menu

Curriculums for Kindergarten/First Grade

JKeller

I'm trying to put together a solid curriculum, mix of kindergarten and first grade, for my soon to be 5 year old. She already knows a lot of what she needs for kindergarten, so I want to add some challenging programs as well. I taught her how to read with some of the BOB books, but she gets really bored of those books really quickly, so I'm looking for a fun, engaging reading curriculum. She's only so so with writing - she doesn't like to copy. What are good writing curriculums for this age? Lastly, I haven't done too much on math with her yet, just very basics. I want to emphasize it this year, so I'm looking for a really fun and thorough program for that as well. Not looking for computer programs, mostly out of books. 

This is my first year doing a real curriculum so I'm a bit lost at what programs are best and there's so many different kinds, so I'd love opinions on what worked best for you!

Well, I'm a huge fan of Rightstart Math, you could look at that one.

For writing, I'd just do letter formation practice at the moment.  She's not even five...There are lots of those type of books, pick your favourite font type.  ;)

If she's reading, she doesn't really need reading *curriculum*, does she?  Just good books.

• Like 2

If she's reading, she doesn't really need reading *curriculum*, does she?  Just good books.

She's not really enjoying reading, and she's still only in the beginning of the Bob books (she can read the first three). I can't tell if she's just memorizing those books or not. She knows how to sound out the words, but she's very reluctant to do it. I think she's just bored with the way they are. I want to get her a formal program because even though I know she knows how to do the basics of sounding things out and putting them together, she just isn't motivated enough to do it and sort of waits for me to help her through. I want her more excited about reading. There's a lot that I've been teaching her that she really loves to do, but so far this isn't one of them. 

We use Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading. It's not fun, but I add our own games. We also do our lessons on a white board or notebook.

Some of our games:

Race car reading: I drew a racetrack on a large piece of paper and wrote words for review on it. Dd then drove cars over the word and read them as she went.

Easter egg blending: i used old plastic Easter eggs and on one half I wrote the word family and the other half wrote the beginning consonant or blend.

Example of 1 egg: "at" written on half and then "c, m, b, s, f, h" written on the smaller half.

Example of 2nd egg: "ack" on larger half and "bl, m, tr, s, h, st" on the other half

We've also used Elizabeth's concentration game from phonicspage website.

For math we don't have plans. We have the set of counting beats that comes with pattern cards and activity ideas. We have some simple workbooks. Sum Swamp board game. Zingo 123 game. Some math games on our iPad.

I would take handwriting easy. We have HWOT but only use it a little. We do copy work because dd asks for it. She'll usually ask "how do I write happy birthday" or asks me to spell words for her to write. It's self directed.

• Like 1

My second son, Elliot, will be turning 5 at the end of May.  He has also covered much of the K curricula (he has been "doing school" with his older brother for the last two years), so next year he will be doing a mix of K and 1st grade materials.

For math we are using Singapore Essentials (Elliot has already completed book A and started book B) and then will move into Math Mammoth which is what my older son also uses.  We supplement with math games, real-life problem solving, living books, Scholastic math riddle workbooks and the Prodigy math computer game.

I used Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading with my oldest and that is fast, simple and get-er-done with absolutely no bells or whistles.  Elliot needed more fun and movement, so we are using Logic of English Foundations A right now.  It teaches phonics (and handwriting) via card games, charades, hands on activities, etc. plus a workbook.  For both my oldest, and now Elliot, I have supplemented their main program with Explode the Code workbooks, Bob Books and We Both Read books like this one.

Wendy

• Like 1

Math: Right Start (A is usually plenty, and lays a good foundation for B)

Reading/LA: Reading Lessons Through Literature plus The Logic of English games book, I See Sam readers for extra practice. Add these Aesop's Fables books once she can start reading them. 

DD liked the GEMS science units at that age, very hands-on science, and most cover multiple grade levels.

Phonics Pathways and the accompanying Reading Pathways are open and go, no bells and whistles, thorough and breath takingly efficient. For the few kids who don't like so many words on a page, simply use a blank sheet of paper to cover up the part of the page you're not focused on at the moment. If you want to learn how to teach a child to read using real books get Ruth Beechick's Homestart in reading pamphlet.

Most kids under 6 are not actually ready to read yet, so don't assume boredom. You may just need to put it aside for now and do a lot of reading out fantastic picture books and short chapter books.  There are lots of read aloud threads here because it's one of the most important and neglected aspects an education in the US. Honey for a Child's Heart lists plenty of books to choose from all age groups. Developing the ability to pay attention (that doesn't mean sitting still) for longer and longer periods of time to high quality content and the ability to articulate back more and more of what they're hearing are important.  So is the language and vocabulary immersion and the exposure to a wide variety of ideas.

Copywork isn't about liking it-it's a skill to be mastered.  Again, a child that young doesn't need it yet. Letter formation that creates muscle memory should be the focus first so when they are ready to do copywork they don't have to think about how to form a letter because they already mastered the skill and can do it effortlessly.  Then they can focus on attentiveness to the copywork content itself. Content includes copying precisely and paying attention to spelling, grammar and punctuation.

Math curriculum can differ in approach. Some use math manipulatives and games to demonstrate concretely each idea.  Some include more drill than others.  Some have video instruction. Some include songs for memorizing math facts and skip counting.  It depends on what you want.

Asking, "Which curriculum is best?" is like asking, "Which kind of ethnic food is best?" or "Which kind of art is best?" If you want to know which is best for you, you need to say something about what your general goals and and what kind of approach or which aspects of which approach are important to you.  Some people want literature and/or Western Canon based content, some people want the Trivium as separate subjects, some people want Neo-Classical Trivium as developmental stages, some people care about chronological history rotations, some people want integrated subjects, some people want to run parallel to their ps or standardized tests so they can smoothly transition back in to the system later, some people want a Providential view of history, some people want hands on project based learning, some people want a STEM focus, and such. That's why there are so many different kinds of curriculum out there.

• Like 1

We're using Miquon for math (mine is 5.5, in public half-day kindy, so we're doing Miquon together several days a week to sort of intro into it/get used to schooling together...we'll finish out the year in PS). So far we really like it. The workbooks are cheap and colorful, but simple enough to not be overwhelming. He loves the rods and picked up their values really quickly, I was surprised. He's not a quick math learner, so I think it's the perfect gentle introduction for us. I bought the two teacher books, too, and he's liked all the side activities/manipulatives and games so far. (RR was seriously so cheap I couldn't not buy them. We ALL have fun with geoboards!)

When my oldest was first starting to read, it seemed like there was a real lack of interesting books for his level--I remember it being a huge break-through when he could start reading the little beginner readers from the library (which seemed a lot more advanced than the Bob Books we were doing at home). We're sort of there with my second son, now...he's a few books into Level 2 Bob Books and doing fine with them, but I'm sure he'd love to have a little more of a story in them, you know? We need some Lego Ninjago early early readers. :p

When we officially start in June, we're sticking to Miquon, continuing to read together, and FLL/WWE (which I understand to be fairly low-key). I also have AAS but won't start that right away. He'll listen in when my oldest (3rd) does history or science, which isn't too structured and which I think he'll find fun and interesting. I imagine my 4yo will listen in, too! 

Edited by lindsey

We need some Lego Ninjago early early readers. :p

We are big fans of these Lego Super Hero phonics readers.

They are not fully decodable (there are occasional words like "right" that use pretty advanced phonics), but each book focuses on one vowel sound (one book each short and long) and all CVC and consonant blend word using that sound are in bold.

There isn't a look inside option on Amazon, so to give you an idea, these are the first three pages from the short a book:

What is that in the sky?

It is a flash!

It is a bat!

We need the man in the mask.

We need Batman!

Batman jumps in the Batmobile.

He needs a plan.

He needs to get to his lab.

Fast!

The books almost all have funny endings.  The short a book is all about Batman getting ready to go answer the bat signal, and after choosing what vehicle he is going to take and what he will need with him (map, traps, Robin his right-hand man), it ends with him packing snacks and PB and jam.

These are a great resource for my 4 year old...we read them over and over and he can tackle more and more of the words as he masters short vowels, ch, sh, th, ee, oo, open syllables, silent e (those phonics tools allow him to decode about 90% of the words).

Wendy

Edited by wendyroo
  • Like 3

For phonics/reading check out All About Reading. Memoria Press First Start Reading is also a fun simple intro with a little bit of writing.

DS has done Handwriting Without Tears Pre-K, K, and 1st grade books and honestly I think he learned more about letter and number formation from the Kumon books. Plus they taught him to count with their great little exercises like dot to dots. If she doesn't like writing these might be a good fit. DS would complain about doing the boring page of letter or number formation but be excited that the next page was dot to dots or something fun.

He did the Singapore Essentials but they are really really easy and did not teach him anything like the why or how that follows the same work in the 1st grade books. He really liked the Critical Thinking Company Mathematical Reasoning books for awhile but towards the end they were boring him with their repetition. You really might be better off looking at the 1st grade options.

• Like 1

Not to derail and I don't like "computer programs" either and am very book based however.....If you need something exciting to add for learning to read, I would say try Reading Eggs.  My son learned how to read at 3 by himself some how but I did not teach him anything.  When he was 4 my sister is a kindergarten teacher and told me about Reading Eggs so I let my son play with it about 4x a week for no more than 20 minutes.  He was hooked.  Since then, (he is now 4 1/2) he is beyond a 1st grade reading level and learning all of those special sounds through that program.  He LOVES it and begs to play but it is amazing how much he has learned.  I would not use it as a stand alone when really needing to get into all of the phonics work but it is a great way to see where they are at or what is lacking and good reinforcement.

There are many great programs out there for K/1st but in essence you really need to see what your goals are and then go from there. 

I love MP Enrichment program and Recitations.  OPGTR is a great resource but not exciting to do on it's own but great to make sure there are no gaps.  I use it as a guide as to what needs to be taught (special sounds etc) and then play games, write with chalk, white board, etc.  Mix it up to make it fun.

Ambleside Online is one option of great books that can be read there are SO many lists out there to round out your Kinder year with sciences, history, etc.

FWIW~ But if you want an all in one option where there is no planning on your part and it is laid out nicely as to what to do my pick would be from what you describe is:  Memoria Press K or My Father's World K (not sure if she would be ready for the 1st grade yet).

Good luck, we live in the era of too many choices!  :)

Math: RightStart!

Reading: we use Teach Your Child to read in 100 Easy Lessons.... but people either love it or hate it.

Writing: Getty Dubay.

Other: reading outloud a good book.... original Winnie the Pooh, or Raggedy Anne, or The Tale of Jolly Robin

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

I'm trying to put together a solid curriculum, mix of kindergarten and first grade, for my soon to be 5 year old. She already knows a lot of what she needs for kindergarten, so I want to add some challenging programs as well. I taught her how to read with some of the BOB books, but she gets really bored of those books really quickly, so I'm looking for a fun, engaging reading curriculum. She's only so so with writing - she doesn't like to copy. What are good writing curriculums for this age? Lastly, I haven't done too much on math with her yet, just very basics. I want to emphasize it this year, so I'm looking for a really fun and thorough program for that as well. Not looking for computer programs, mostly out of books. 

This is my first year doing a real curriculum so I'm a bit lost at what programs are best and there's so many different kinds, so I'd love opinions on what worked best for you!

For English-related skills (learning to read, spelling, penmanship, etc.), Spalding. No, it isn't exciting, but it is so comprehensive you won't need anything else for a couple of years. :-) It is infinitely flexible so you can do just as much as your little person is ready to do. Next year you can do more.

I would expect a not-yet-five-year-old to be "only so-so" with writing, and not to like to copy. Her fine-motor skills are still developing, such that she just isn't ready for much copywork. Also, since she's not yet five, I would not expect her penmanship up to the challenge of copying very much.

For arithmetic, if you want a process math (something that is hands-on, using manipulatives of some kind, such as Cuisenaire rods), then first Mathematics Made Meaningful, followed by Miquon. If you like something more traditional, then Rod and Staff Publishers, moving slowly (R&S doesn't do kindergarten; you'd start with Beginning Arithmetic).

My 5.5 year old is doing his kinder year right now, we are LOVING Rightstart Math, I highly recommend it!  Even though level A is pretty basic it's a wonderful foundation and I'm impressed with how far we've come so far!

For reading I have just used Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading and then as he is reading more and more we just practice reading real books!  Dr Seuss, the leveled books from the library, etc.  The Bob books weren't as great of a phonetic progression as I expected going in, they felt frustrating at times, so we did some Explode the Code workbooks and then just read a ton of real books!

For first grade I'm planning to start FLL/WWE as someone mentioned above but I decided to wait til then because it's more important to me that my son love learning than that he advance quickly-since I'M the one most excited by all these decisions! ;)

We're also using a humanities program called Tapestry of Grace (they have a K-1st level called Primer) that we are LOVING!  We are diving in to learning the big picture of history and geography and it's my son's favorite part of school every day!  I can't recommend it enough! 

After doing K 3x, these are my plans for my youngest:

Miquon Math

Pre-Primer for the Treadwell Readers

Happy Phonics

Lots of picture books for read alouds  (FIAR titles, Ambleside Year 0 titles, etc...)

Lots of time outside, daily trips to the local park given the weather isn't terrible.

1st grade:

Continue with Miquon Math & Happy Phonics & Treadwell Readers. 

Let's Read & Find out science series & burgess nature stories

I'll expand our picture books to purposely include many biographies of various people.

We'll begin the first primitive nature journal.

I am new to homeschooling but we are using right start math and all about reading. My son (8) is dyslexic so I was pointed to AAR for him but started my youngest (5) in it as well. It is an excellent and fun reading program! RS math is very teacher intensive (so is AAR), but so worth the extra time!

• 3 months later...

Another vote for Right Start Math.  We used Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons and loved it (but there is definitely a "hate it" camp).  The nice thing is that you can often find 100 EZ Lessons at the library, so it's free to try out.  Handwriting Without Tears is great for 4-5yos too.  We've enjoyed the song CD and the activities in the teacher's manuals as well.