Menu

what book have read that you could not put down?

lynn

The Martian (I listened to this one and thought the reader was excellent, so I don't know how much of it was the story and how much the narrator.)

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (I agree with a pp who said some of the later books were a little easier to put down. Not all, though, some later ones were also page turners. The Fiery Cross was the hardest one for me to get through.)

Heart's Blood by Juliet Marillier (this one I actually did put down, for several months even when I was busy. But once I really got going on it I finished it quickly.) Daughter of the Forest and The Dark Mirror, also. Okay, just about any Juliet Marillier.

Pride and Prejudice. This is my favorite book and I re-read it every year or two.

Poison Study by Maria Snyder.

• Like 1

Harry Potter (I still reread them all multiple times a year.. proud Potterhead!)

Outlander

I also enjoyed The Strain trilogy

Also.. not at all my usual genre but I read a book over summer called The Island and I finished it in one sitting.

I used to read so much and I remember so many page turners.. but when I try to think of them I draw a blank! Ah!

But thanks to this thread I just came home from the library with an arm full of books. :) I'm really excited for The Martian and Bird Box!

• Like 3

Saying I have a favorite book is like saying I have a favorite child, it depends on the day. ;)

Some single books I can't put down:

The Wave, Susan Casey

Enslaved by Ducks, Bob Tarte

The Looming Tower, Lawrence Wright

I Heard the Sirens Scream, Laurie Garrett

Alex and me, Irene Pepperberg

anything by David McCullough

Then there are my favorite series, of which there are many, far to many to list here and I can never put down.

Harry Potter

The Belgariad

Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt novels

Robert B. Parker's Spenser novels

The Dresden Files

Brent Week's Night Angel

Chloe Neill's Chicagoland Vampires

Shannon Mayer's Rylee Adamson

LOTR

Faith Hunter's Jane Yellowrock

Terry Pratchett

Elizabeth Peter's Amelia Peabody

Elizabeth Peters!

Oryx and Crake (and the next two books) by Margaret Atwood

Cutting for Stone - Abraham Verghese

The Girl on the Train

All the Light We Cannot See

Cider House Rules - John Irving

The Orenda - Joseph Boyden (really disturbing and incredibly well written)

February - Lisa Moore

The Cellist of Sarajevo - Steven Galloway

Dream of Ding Village - Yan Lianke (also disturbing)

The Night Circus

Half Blood Blues - Esi Edugyan

The Book of Negroes - Lawrence Hill

Water for Elephants

A Moveable Feast - Hemingway

• 3 months later...

Nothing lately, but loving this thread. I don't seem to read for plot or story, just for the pretty writing. I can't even get into All the Light we cannot see, which everyone loves apparently :(

That said, George Saunders short stories which i could read forevermore, Water for Elephants, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Old Filth triology, Elegance of the Hedgehog, Rebecca, and all the Erich Maria Remarque books.

Edited by madteaparty

I read more light hearted books than many on this board.

The ABC Murders by Agatha Christie was just captivating.

To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis was a little more than I normally read but the concept of time traveling historians was excellent.

I read more light hearted books than many on this board.

The ABC Murders by Agatha Christie was just captivating.

To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis was a little more than I normally read but the concept of time traveling historians was excellent.

Me too.  Books are my escape.  So I tend to stay away from any that sound too sad or too depressing or too dark or too heavy. 

I remember reading "Gone With the Wind" as a young teen.  I walked around in a black fog for days after I finished the book.  It wasn't worth it.   :tongue_smilie:

Patrick Rothfuss (mentioned in a few posts) is probably my absolute favorite author. I don't know that we will ever see book #3....a girl can hope. For those of you waiting, he did write a little novella as a spin off of one of the characters and people seem to love it or hate it; the story is very different from his series. It is called "The Slow Regard of Silent Things".

Last night I pretty much read through Sara Gruen's "At the Water's Edge". I didn't like the ending, though, and didn't even really like the story. There were glimpses of hope for the novel throughout. But, in the end, I did become engrossed in it.