Menu

Help me put together a gift basket

JustEm

So a friend of dh's just had his first child, a boy, and we are going in with 2 other friends on a new baby gift basket/package to be shipped to the new parents. If you had $200 to spend what would you put in the package? This is mostly for baby but also something for the parents. Thanks!

Honestly? I'd look for registry info. I'd probably ship directly to them from the website rather than do a homemade gift basket because it seems more efficient. I'd include a gift card so they could buy diapers or whatever as well.

I splurged and bought a baby carrier on Black Friday. I have not fallen in love with it (yet?). I think that's a kind of a hit or miss item, especially without knowing if the parents have back issues or if only one parent would use it, etc. But if they are interested that would fit in that price range. I have a Lillebaby one with lumbar support and several carrying positions. I think it goes from infant to 45 lbs. Target and Bed, Bath & Beyond now sell them (at least some). Up until recently I think it was primarily less mainstream stores.

These are some items I like if they haven't given any ideas:
sleeper bag and/or swaddle

padded knee cushion for leaning over bathtub (might not be used for a while!)

baby towels/wash cloths

bibs

• Like 2

Tiny baby nail clippers

Pacifiers

Diapers

Onesies

Depending on where you live (climate) outfits

A special warm cover that fits with car seats (forgot what it's called)

One of those things that the baby wears in bed, closed on bottom with zipper so they are always covered - forgot that name too :)

Start a little book library for baby

For Mom:

Jojoba oil / Argan oil

Nice lotion

Candle diffuser with real beeswax candles

For parents, something that would give them an already prepared meal or two. Not necessarily restaurant, because it's so hard to pack everything up and get out. Or a company to come in and do a house cleaning.

For baby, maybe clothing, but in larger sizes than the usual 0-3, 3-6 month sizes. I'm a fan of books. For one baby shower, I had my kids pick out a favorite at the book store and then write a note to the baby/parents about it.

Agree with gift card for diapers.

Or, would a jog stroller or bike trailer be something they'd like, for when baby's a bit bigger? Do they have any big ticket items on the registry?

Erica in OR

• Like 1

I'd go for a big ticket item. Jog stroller, back pack, something along those lines.

They probably will get gifts of small items, cute outfits, diapers, onesies, etc. The big ticket items make life easier but often new parents don't get them because they are expensive.

Is there anyway of finding out if they've been interested in something. If there's not a registry, is this a childhood friend, where you might be able to call the friends mother or sisters.

• Like 2

Thanks for the suggestions.I will look for a registry. I barely know this couple. Dh met the man,along with the guys we are going in on the gift with, on one of his online games. He has only met them once in person but they talk multiple time a week via text and in the game. A big ticket item might be a better way to go. I'll see how the guys like that idea.

Most people receive a TON of stuff for the tiny baby days (seriously, my newborns could change clothes and bankers three times a day) but not much for those older baby months. One thing I love to give is sleep sacks for older babies. At that price point, Wee Urban (available at Amazon) makes one of my favorites for most climates.

A friend also gifted me an "older baby" kit when my first was born, which was overlooked at the time but much appreciated in a short six or seven months. It included several brands if sippy cups to try, baby spoons, bowls, bins, and toys like that classic Fisher Price stacking ring.

• Like 1

Would you consider pulling the money together and just giving them the cash in a card so they could apply to whatever they wanted and that would be useful? Especially since you can't find a registry.

Or like an Amazon card or something. 

A good backpack carrier is an awesome gift but you kind of have to try them out to figure out what kind you want. Dd recently borrowed from friends so she could try them  all day and figure out which worked best. They have Disney passes so wearing a baby or a toddler all day at Disney is a good way to learn whether it works for you. Some her friends just love but they didn't work well for dd.   Since they're so expensive you want to make sure it's going to work for the couple. 

OP, that is so sweet of you guys to get together and do this!  If you do go with a gift basket, there are places out there who make custom onesies and you could have one made that makes the baby a team member of whatever game they play.  Ds's teams all have names so I'm guessing your dh's might also. 

• Like 2

Most people receive a TON of stuff for the tiny baby days (seriously, my newborns could change clothes and bankers three times a day) but not much for those older baby months. One thing I love to give is sleep sacks for older babies. At that price point, Wee Urban (available at Amazon) makes one of my favorites for most climates.

A friend also gifted me an "older baby" kit when my first was born, which was overlooked at the time but much appreciated in a short six or seven months. It included several brands if sippy cups to try, baby spoons, bowls, bins, and toys like that classic Fisher Price stacking ring.

This is really what I'm thinking I know with my first had more baby blankets, towels, and infant clothes than I'd ever need that I don't want to give those. So far I have some nice wooden raddles, clothes in the bigger sizes, and some of my favorite board books.

• Like 1

Would you consider pulling the money together and just giving them the cash in a card so they could apply to whatever they wanted and that would be useful? Especially since you can't find a registry.

I'll run this passed the guys.I'm thinking spending a portion of it on some toys and a few outfits and the rest given as cash.

Or like an Amazon card or something.

A good backpack carrier is an awesome gift but you kind of have to try them out to figure out what kind you want. Dd recently borrowed from friends so she could try them all day and figure out which worked best. They have Disney passes so wearing a baby or a toddler all day at Disney is a good way to learn whether it works for you. Some her friends just love but they didn't work well for dd. Since they're so expensive you want to make sure it's going to work for the couple.

OP, that is so sweet of you guys to get together and do this! If you do go with a gift basket, there are places out there who make custom onesies and you could have one made that makes the baby a team member of whatever game they play. Ds's teams all have names so I'm guessing your dh's might also.

Yea I won't get a carrier for anyone, they are so dependant on personal feel and preference. custom onesies is a great idea!

Can you confirm with the couple? Maybe there is a store you haven't checked?

Have you already checked

Target

Bed, Bath & Beyond

Babies R Us

Buy Buy Baby

Wal-Mart

Land of Nod

Amazon

I'm sure others are available as well

Found one on Amazon! How I didn't think of that was beyond me. No where else though. No big ticket items on it though. So I got a few things off that and am rounding it out with books,bigger size clothes, toys, and something for the parents. Not sure what for the parents yet.

• Like 2

I'd go for big ticket items and just a few unusual items that a parent with a non-ambulatory baby wouldn't consider right away.  Baby carrier, really nice wooden blocks, video monitor, rubber corner bumper guards, window thumbscrew locks, etc.  I know that ideally a baby carrier needs to be fit and field-tested, but don't we all remember tearing open newly bought baby items because they were direly needed and just couldn't be opened fast enough?

What do you have to have to make a Google Play gift card work?

One of them has to have a Google account (or make one). Then they can rent or buy movies and TV shows. They'd have to watch it on a computer or laptop unless they have a way to stream it to their TV (like a Google Chromecast usb stick).

The same applies to iTunes and an iTunes giftcard, if they happen to have those accounts instead.

Another option would be to give them a Redbox code as a gift card. I've done this from the Redbox website before. I believe you have to put in a minimum of 5 $1 codes... but I did that maybe a year ago, so it might be different.

I think you can also use Amazon gift cards to purchase rent movies and shows.

One of them has to have a Google account (or make one). Then they can rent or buy movies and TV shows. They'd have to watch it on a computer or laptop unless they have a way to stream it to their TV (like a Google Chromecast usb stick).

The same applies to iTunes and an iTunes giftcard, if they happen to have those accounts instead.

Another option would be to give them a Redbox code as a gift card. I've done this from the Redbox website before. I believe you have to put in a minimum of 5 $1 codes... but I did that maybe a year ago, so it might be different.

I think you can also use Amazon gift cards to purchase rent movies and shows.

Ok. I am not familiar with the Google gift card and was wondering what streaming devices it worked with. We watch all our movies on our Roku via Amazon. When people give us itunes cards I just use them for buying apps on my iphone rather than movies since I think you have to have apple tv or something for it to work with the tv.

Picture frames, a journal for mom to write to baby (something I am so glad I did for my kids!!), fancy lotion for mom, Robeez (I loved these but my kids are older, so maybe not popular anymore), slipper socks for mom, photo album, piggy bank, handprint mold making kit (SO glad we were gifted one, I never would have bought this myself and I cherish this gift), first Bible, well known/classic children's books, savings bonds. 

Basically, things that aren't necessarily on the priority list that mom might not splurge on but end up being very special keepsakes. 

Edited by magnificent_baby

My favorite book to give as a baby book is Mommy's Best Kisses (there's a Daddy's Hugs too).  It's a favorite with the kids for years though!  It has beautiful drawings of animals and each page has you kissing you're little one in diff. places and teaches them body parts (forehead, ear, cheeks, feet, hands). The last page reads, "'Tonight when you sleep dream of kisses times ten, and tomorrow we'll start all over again'. Super sweet and loving: http://www.amazon.com/Mommys-Best-Kisses-Board-Book/dp/006124130X/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1453701252&sr=8-11&keywords=baby+book+kisses

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain