Menu

Simple, GF Bread Recipe?

mommymonster

Does anyone have a simple, gluten free bread recipe? My niece is seven and is GF, but they live in a very rural area where it is difficult to get a lot of specialty ingredients. I would be up for a mix, as well. She feels left out when the family is eating bread, and she would like to try her hand at making it. I'll be there for a few weeks and can help her get going on it. My sister will of course provide supervision in the kitchen when I'm not around. I'd like to be able to purchase the specialty ingredients (or mixes) from Amazon so that I can just ship them to her... 

GF gals, can you help me out? 

I am not GF, but I do (did) bake bread.

I will say that GF bread is almost never "simple" because what makes bread bread instead of a kind of cake is actually gluten. It took me about 1.5 years of baking to even try rye (low-gluten) bread and it is notoriously different because of how the gluten proteins work to make bread chewy and stretchy. That stretchiness is actually gluten. I learned this baking rye. I still can't bake good rye bread. That's because all the kneading in the world can't bring that gluten protein into it so it doesn't bind. The failure to create a network of gluten through kneading and breaking down the proteins is what can make it fail to stand up. So it just collapses and releases those air bubbles. That is also why sourdough is so hard: the gluten gets broken down in the long rising process and it can end up all flat. It takes. For. Ever. But true sourdough will have much less gluten in it (though I'd never count on it to have no gluten).

So if they are new to GF and baking both at the same time, I would encourage them to read up on this beforehand to prepare  her expectations and also to get a very clear idea of what GF bread is like.

I am sure she can do it but anything simple will be substantially different from wheat bread.

Not trying to be discouraging, just want them to have some preparation for what they will get.

Edited by Tsuga

ETA: Also, this is why you knead and knead "real" bread (to develop the gluten network, in part) and why kneading and kneading and stirring something like pie crust or biscuits is actually bad and will make it too chewy. Because chewy bread is good but you want biscuits to flake apart. 

http://blog.radiantlifecatalog.com/bid/62722/Home-Baked-Grain-Free-Organic-Coconut-Flour-Bread

I made that one last week.  It was pretty good, but more of a quick sweet type of bread.  It was very easy to make. You don't need special salt, honey, or baking powder.  I used Splenda.  Regular sure would work or no sugar at all.  I used a combo of butter and coconut oil, but just butter would work. 

I've been able to find coconut flour all over the place now, but if you can't find it they sell it on-line (even on Amazon).

define "simple" =)

do you mean not very many ingredients??

I have a recipe I use often for GF bread but it has a lot of flours in it and you would likely have to order some of them on Amazon.  The recipe I use is here

http://www.allergyfreealaska.com/2012/03/12/gluten-rice-free-multigrain-bread/

I use teff flour (not amaranth). I used to be able to buy teff at the local indian grocer but they stopped selling it so now I buy it from Amazon.  Most of the other flours I can find at an asian grocer.

I have tried some "rice flour based" breads and they just didn't taste good. Some other recipes I tried had various grains but they weren't successful for me. This is one recipe I have had consistent success with, and it is multi-grain and reasonably healthy. 

Also, someone upthread mentioned rye. Depending on the reasons for GF, I would not consider rye. Rye contains gluten.  I guess if you only had a mild sensitivity it might be okay but for a  Celiac it would make them very sick.

ETA: when i make the bread, I slice it and freeze the slices on cookie sheets and then put it in plastic freezer bags. I also put baked bread ends in the food processor for bread crumbs for recipes. I freeze the crumbs too.  

Edited by cintinative

This wrap bread is a very easy recipe to make.  Instead of using rice flour + tapioca starch + xanthan gum, I use 1.5 cups of Namaste gluten free flour blend (5 lb bag from Costco).

It is a bit sweet so better IMO for PB&J or spreading with Nutella (my family's fave) or butter.  I think if you left out the sugar, it might be better for meat sandwiches but I have not tried that yet.

I use a jelly roll pan lined with parchment paper, and I spread some oil on the parchment paper.  I don't dust the oiled paper with flour (no need).  And I use a silicone spatula to spread out the batter.  I don't bother with the fork indentations.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'm an experienced bread baker, and made gluten free bread a number of years ago when my BIL with celiacs lived with us. However, that was a number of years ago (pre-GF revolution). I know the tasted, texture, and baking process is not the same, and that the absence of gluten is a challenge. My niece feels left out when other people have bread on their plate and she doesn't (unfortunately, it's not really an option to give up bread given the extended family dynamic). In any case, we just need something that looks like bread and is moderately palatable. 

My hope in requesting a "simple" recipe was that it would be something I could teach my niece to put together with relatively little help from my sister. DN needs a bit of a confidence boost, and I thought making something with minimal assistance might be a start. I can turn most recipes into graphics, so that would be good for her learning challenges. I think we'll start with the Pamela's mix and if that's not a good option for her, I'll branch out further. We will be staying with them for six weeks, so there's time to experiment. I've ordered some off Amazon and will start experimenting. 

I will say that the America's Test Kitchen recipe looks amazing. I may just make some for fun! 

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'm an experienced bread baker, and made gluten free bread a number of years ago when my BIL with celiacs lived with us. However, that was a number of years ago (pre-GF revolution). I know the tasted, texture, and baking process is not the same, and that the absence of gluten is a challenge. My niece feels left out when other people have bread on their plate and she doesn't (unfortunately, it's not really an option to give up bread given the extended family dynamic). In any case, we just need something that looks like bread and is moderately palatable.

My hope in requesting a "simple" recipe was that it would be something I could teach my niece to put together with relatively little help from my sister. DN needs a bit of a confidence boost, and I thought making something with minimal assistance might be a start. I can turn most recipes into graphics, so that would be good for her learning challenges. I think we'll start with the Pamela's mix and if that's not a good option for her, I'll branch out further. We will be staying with them for six weeks, so there's time to experiment. I've ordered some off Amazon and will start experimenting.

I will say that the America's Test Kitchen recipe looks amazing. I may just make some for fun!

How would she feel about a biscuit?

I think the GF bisquick is pretty good and it's easy to make the drop biscuits.

As far as making loaves of bread, I just don't.

I was an avid baker before we went GF but I don't find the end product to be worth the effort. I buy Udi's bread at walmart and keep it in the freezer.

ETA - I have good luck making cookies using pre-made GF flour blends. If she wanted to make something, cookies or quick breads would be much more manageable.

Edited by kitten18

Okay, this is a bit unorthodox, but this recipe is SUPER simple (my 4 year old can make his own GF bread) and we love it.  We make it with gluten free bisquick.  It is a tiny bit sticky when it is first cooked (only 90 seconds in the microwave!!), but I just pop it onto a plate in the fridge for a few minutes and slice it when it has cooled and firmed up a bit.  The texture is amazing...not dense/stiff/gritty/chalky like we have found a lot of GF bread.  It is also wonderfully versatile - cook it in a mug and slice it into English Muffins (it toasts beautifully) or hamburger buns, cook it in a small, square tupperware and it is sandwich sized, I've even cooked it in garlic bread and crescent roll shapes so Elliot's bread matched what everyone else was eating.

Wendy

• Like 2

Okay, this is a bit unorthodox, but this recipe is SUPER simple (my 4 year old can make his own GF bread) and we love it.  We make it with gluten free bisquick.  It is a tiny bit sticky when it is first cooked (only 90 seconds in the microwave!!), but I just pop it onto a plate in the fridge for a few minutes and slice it when it has cooled and firmed up a bit.  The texture is amazing...not dense/stiff/gritty/chalky like we have found a lot of GF bread.  It is also wonderfully versatile - cook it in a mug and slice it into English Muffins (it toasts beautifully) or hamburger buns, cook it in a small, square tupperware and it is sandwich sized, I've even cooked it in garlic bread and crescent roll shapes so Elliot's bread matched what everyone else was eating.

Wendy

Uh, Wendy? I love you. Like, love, love, love you! :-) 

I'm so excited to try this!

Okay, this is a bit unorthodox, but this recipe is SUPER simple (my 4 year old can make his own GF bread) and we love it. We make it with gluten free bisquick. It is a tiny bit sticky when it is first cooked (only 90 seconds in the microwave!!), but I just pop it onto a plate in the fridge for a few minutes and slice it when it has cooled and firmed up a bit. The texture is amazing...not dense/stiff/gritty/chalky like we have found a lot of GF bread. It is also wonderfully versatile - cook it in a mug and slice it into English Muffins (it toasts beautifully) or hamburger buns, cook it in a small, square tupperware and it is sandwich sized, I've even cooked it in garlic bread and crescent roll shapes so Elliot's bread matched what everyone else was eating.

Wendy

That looks great. Thanks.

I have some small glass baking dishes that would be a good size/shape for this.

• Like 1