Menu

Vacation in mid March....where would you go?

Ottakee

Dh and I were thinking of Monterey bay area but heard it might be very rainy in mid March this year.

Any other ideas of places to go? Within 1-2 hours of a major airport would be nice. Hoodie weather would be great. Looking for more nature/walking/hiking. We are not big museum or shopping people. We don't drink but do like trying the local hole in the wall type restaurants.

Budget friend would be great...for lodging and car rental.

Warning: travel over spring break is not ideal. SB starts 3/21 (or Sat 3/19), ending in an early Easter. Trying to get reservations is very difficult and air travel can be twice the cost of other time periods. We still haven't figured out where we can go or what to do--first few ideas haven't worked out--all full. We did Orlando to see dh's parents two years ago and the trip was fine but twice as expensive as an April trip would have been and WDW was crowded enough to really not be that enjoyable. But SB is the only time available for us due to school and kid activities.

I've learned that there aren't too many places in the U.S. that are actually trustworthy warm in early spring.  You almost have to go to Central America!  We're going to San Diego in March, and have been told that it can range from 40's to upper 60's in March (with the possibility of rain).  But, that's still better than where we live!  It is usually nicer in Southern California than it is in Northern California in the spring.  I grew up in Monterey County!  We got some rain but not torrential, and it was cooler that time of year, but it was never awful.  I don't remember too many days when we couldn't eat lunch outside (we didn't have a school cafeteria) because of rain.  But it was never hot, even in the summer.

Otherwise, Florida?  South Carolina?  

Warning: travel over spring break is not ideal. SB starts 3/21 (or Sat 3/19), ending in an early Easter. Trying to get reservations is very difficult and air travel can be twice the cost of other time periods. We still haven't figured out where we can go or what to do--first few ideas haven't worked out--all full. We did Orlando to see dh's parents two years ago and the trip was fine but twice as expensive as an April trip would have been and WDW was crowded enough to really not be that enjoyable. But SB is the only time available for us due to school and kid activities.

Spring break starts much earlier for some colleges.  We're likely to be in FL the beginning of March - enjoying time with middle son on his college spring break.   :coolgleamA:

I'm not sure if FL meets the OP's wishes though, but if so, check out the Everglades or some of Florida's State Parks for fewer people and more nature.  Ft Desoto County Park in Pinellas County has a very nice long undeveloped beach.  In early March, you might see us there...

If I'm making suggestions otherwise, Chattanooga comes to mind as having good hiking around, lodging is reasonable, and likely to be hoodie weather.

If contemplating more coastal I'd probably go with the Outer Banks and get time in beach walking and seeing Kill Devil Hills.  Or, head south to GA and their barrier islands.

If you can afford it, HI is always nice for weather/hikes and March could still have whales around.  Spinner dolphins are awesome to watch.  Pick Kauai for the most beauty, The Big Island for the most affordability. Both are laid back without major crowds.

Florida gulf coast.

30-A

Cape San Blas is farther east, but lovely and un-touristy.

SB here can range from the first week of March through Easter, even when that is in April. Universities, local colleges, public and private schools all have different schedules. Even all the public school systems don't match.

Edited by ScoutTN

One more note on a California--it's an El Nino year, so the weather is iffier than usual. More chance of rain or snow in the mountains, but you could luck out and get a nice week.

If there is more rain it is likely to be an all day, every day rain or are we talking rain for a few hours and then clear? Trying to decide as CA is still our top pick...flying in to San Francisco and then heading south a few days and then north a day or 2 to see dh family.

Also, what is there to do north within an hour or so drive?

What if you go somewhere near Vegas, but not on the strip? Valley of Fire state park has beautiful scenery and hiking. I'm guessing rain isn't so much of an issue in that part of the country, and the weather will be nice but not too hot yet. You can't beat Vegas pricing for flights and lodging and there's always going to be food at all hours and shows to see.

My BIL got married in that park and I'd never experienced terrain like that. It was strange to me since hiking means woods and trees to me, but it was beautiful and warm and colorful. It also felt like a world away from the strip. There are bound to be resorts in that area that have Vegas pricing but aren't on the strip or feel Vegasy. If you're up for it, there's a good day's worth of free meandering in Vegas.

It's a great climate for good hair days.

• Like 1