Menu

What for paragraph writing?

Meadowlark

What do you think there is about paragraphs that must be studied?

Most products and methods come up with rules such as each paragraph having to have at least [insert favorite number] of sentences, with an opening sentence and a closing sentence and at least [insert favorite number] supporting sentences. Although that may be true of some kinds of writing, it is not true most of the time, but teaching that as a rule often results in boring writing.

You teach your child how to write well, with strong nouns and verbs, with a variety of sentence patterns, and then you help him understand that we use paragraphs to make it easier to read, and that we group sentences together that make sense together.

• Like 3

Write On  teaches a three sentence "report" (paragraph), which is such a nice way to bridge to full paragraphs.  I really, really like it.  I don't follow it strictly at all, but I find myself pulling stuff from it for my kiddo who has a pretty significant LD in written expression as well as for my typical learner.  

• Like 1

We're using the Just Write series. I have a 9 yo, 4th grade reluctant writer so I started with book one this year and did just the paragraph section and skipped the story section. Now we're on book 2 and following the same plan. We should be done that in the next month or two. I have book 3 on standby. The Just Write books are really inexpensive, and you can find them used but not written in on Amazon. She has become much less reluctant to write since starting Just Write.

• 3 weeks later...

What do you think there is about paragraphs that must be studied?

Most products and methods come up with rules such as each paragraph having to have at least [insert favorite number] of sentences, with an opening sentence and a closing sentence and at least [insert favorite number] supporting sentences. Although that may be true of some kinds of writing, it is not true most of the time, but teaching that as a rule often results in boring writing.

You teach your child how to write well, with strong nouns and verbs, with a variety of sentence patterns, and then you help him understand that we use paragraphs to make it easier to read, and that we group sentences together that make sense together.

Ellie, I know you recommend WS for writing, but haven't you said that the writing in R&S English series is good, also?  Well maybe you've said it is sufficient. :)  Wouldn't R&S English fall into this category of "most products and methods?"

That is the only reason I have not stuck with R&S English... because of their writing.

We are using Writing Strands and I might add Write Source (grade books) now and then.  I haven't looked thoroughly at it yet, though.

Ellie, I know you recommend WS for writing, but haven't you said that the writing in R&S English series is good, also?  Well maybe you've said it is sufficient. :)  Wouldn't R&S English fall into this category of "most products and methods?"

That is the only reason I have not stuck with R&S English... because of their writing.

We are using Writing Strands and I might add Write Source (grade books) now and then.  I haven't looked thoroughly at it yet, though.

R&S definitely falls into that category. :-) But it also falls into the category of something that is a comprehensive English course, and it's silly to try to do it and take out the writing instruction. Because if someone loves all the grammar in R&S's English series, then probably the writing methodology isn't going to bother them. Children *will* learn to write, and write well.

I just don't think it's the *only* way of teaching children to write, and I prefer Writing Strands. For grammar, I add Easy Grammar, when the dc are 10 or 11, and for only one year.